Back from ET

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I just got back from my ET from my second round of IVF. This time they were able to get 7 eggs, 5 which were mature, 4 fertilized. I went in this morning and one embryo didn't make it past 2 cells and they gave one a grade 4 and 2 were a grade 5. Last time I had a grade 1 (the best) and a grade 3 and they still didn't take so I don't hold out much hope for this. They transfered all three but even my dr. said the chances of this happening are slim.

We paid for the shared risk program so we could go 4 more rounds but we can't afford the meds anymore and the outcome would probably be the same. At this point I think we are going to cash out and get are money back minus the medication. I just wonder if there is some underlying DNA issue with my husbands sperm and that even when using ICSI it's not going to make a difference. My dr said that generahen the embryo is poor quality there is a problem with the egg (I love how they always assume there is something wrong with the female). Normally I would consider that but I am only 29 (for a few more months anyways) and I was previously married and got pregnant with my daughter on the first try. So now we have to consider using a sperm donor. My husband has one brother we could ask but I'm not sure how he and his wife would feel about that.

I'm just curious what some of you would do in this situation. I always like to hear others opinions, especially those who are also struggling with infertility. Thanks for all of your support
July 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
jandswood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jandswood
I have not been through IVF so I have no advice but I hope this cycle isn't a bust!
July 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
Honey, I'm so sorry you are going through so much! I really hope this transfer worked and you won't have to worry about a Plan B (or C). I have only ever done IUIs, not IVF or FET (yet), so I don't feel it's my place to advise you on how to proceed from here. You'll be in my T&P during your 2WW, though.

July 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey, I just wanted to post to say I'm sorry for everything you're going through. Also, 8 months ago we had our first baby... as a result of going to donor sperm. DH has a dismal S/A (poor on all three counts), so we did a couple rounds of IVF, which didn't work (even though we got good fertilization). Then DH started to get concerned that even if we DID get pg from IVF, that we'd be passing down some sort of undetected genetic defect to our child and we started thinking about donor sperm. We finally decided to do IUI with donor sperm and got pg on our 2nd try. Now we have a beautiful 8 month old boy and I don't regret a thing about what we did. In fact, next time we might just use the same donor and do IUI again, and skip IVF with DH's sperm all together.

Going to donor sperm isn't an easy decision, but we don't regret it at all. ANd now DH is the only dad that our son has and it's no different than if he were his biological child. We went with an anonymous donor, so that there wouldn't be any confusion about who DS's dad really is. We may tell him one day (I'm a big fan of people knowing their family's medical history, so from that perspective I feel like DS should know his medical history is not necessarily HIS history). Our experience with the sperm bank was smooth... they had a large selection of good donors that matched our criteria and they were easy to work with. THe only downside was the expense of the sperm. Also, IUI is so much easier and cheaper, so that was a huge perk. Less medication, costs less, was a lot quicker... yeah, so we are really happy with the route we chose, especially now that we have our son.

ANyway, I hope that this cycle isn't a bust for you - sometimes it's the lowest grade embryos that make the babies, so you never know. But there are lots of options out there, too. GOod luck!!!

August 2012 December 2012
July 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to give you and wish you good luck!

July 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM
tracyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know much about IVF but I wanted to wish you the best of luck this cycle. I hope it is not a bust.
July 8th, 2008, 06:38 AM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
I hope these little embies surprise you and you dont have to think about plan B.
TTC #1 since October 2006

Three Clomid/IUI cycles... all BFN
IVF #1: Transferred 2, BFN
IVF #2 (FET): Cancelled due to thin lining, converted to EFT cycle

*Abnormal EFT/biopsy...surgical hysteroscopy done to remove scarring and polyps*
Mock IVF cycle and repeat EFT is NORMAL!

FET transfer 10/27, BFP!!

#1 Beta: 11/5 - 44
#2 Beta: 11/7 - 145
#3 Beta: 11/14 - 4835
1st U/S: 12/2 - no h/b, waiting to m/c

July 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Tresy's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I just wonder if there is some underlying DNA issue with my husbands sperm and that even when using ICSI it's not going to make a difference. My dr said that generahen the embryo is poor quality there is a problem with the egg (I love how they always assume there is something wrong with the female).[/b]
First I just want to say sorry you're going through this! It truly sucks! I asked my RE about embryo quality, wondering if it could be from me or my DH and he told me the same thing yours told you... Embryo quality is determined by egg quality. We had 5 failed rounds of IVF so we decided to get the embryos genetically tested (PGD) to determine what exactly were wrong with them. Good luck to you!

Jake & Daddy in their Converse

July 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to say that im sorry your going thru this. you and your dh are in my t & p's I really hope that these eggies stick and like everyone else said you dont have to think about another plan. I have not been thru IVF or IUI's yet but I can totally understand your frustration how they always blame it on the woman. Well again good luck to you and I hope you get back to use with great news!

Lots of Sticky

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search