IVF Bound!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Angel_Maker
UGGGHHHHHH!!!! My intuitions were RIGHT!!! I have no mature (or even dominant follicles!!!) ***???? I did *5* rounds of 50mg Clomid and O'd everytime! I did *1* round of 100mg and O'd-but they give me 150mg and my OVARIES take a VACATION!!!!

I told the doctor that I'm done, I haven't seen *my doctor* (Dr. Duffy) my last 2 visits (I've seen Dr. Freeman) and after today's appointment, I decided to switch to Dr. Freeman....

During the appt. Dr. Freeman said that I had "other" options such as ovarian drilling that "we could try"...I told him I'm not a science experiment and I want to DO something that has a good chance of getting me pregnant! I told him straight up that *MY* only option as far as I'm concerned is IVF....so he told me to schedule a reconsult with Dr. Duffy to get the process started! HOWEVER, Dr. Duffy's next available appt. wasn't until the 25th!!!!! So THAT'S why I switched to Dr. Freeman! My reconsult to start IVF is MONDAY !! We will hopefully be able to begin the process right away!!! I'm a little freaked about the money, but DH said we'll worry about that later-also, I know my parents will help us if need be (although I'm not counting on it nor depending on it)

They gave me a printout with a list of meds and procedures along with prices....the estimated total cost is between $10,424 and $10,626
July 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
omg wow thats so much to swallow at one time well im soo glad that you can start the consult so soon! I really hope that IVF is exactly what you need!!! the prices for the IVF they gave you is only for 1 cycle? You should ask if they have a "shared risk program" you basically get more than 1 try and then lets say if you dont ever give birth to a healthy baby then you get money back. For me i called the one that my doc is associated with and for 6 cycles, 3 fresh & 3 FET, is $13,750.00 if something happens and I dont concieve or give birth to a healthy baby I get back 70% of that amount.

Well girl I love you lots and please keep us updated!!! I hope everything goes great at your appt.!

July 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Veteran
I am sorry to hear that you have no mature follicles this cycle and you have to move to IVF. I will keep my fingers crossed that your first IVF cycle will work.

]
Me (24)
DH (29) Diagnosed with low motility

TTC since May 2006
1st IUI: Femara cd3-7, Follistim cd 8-9, HCG cd12, IUI cd13 = BFN
2nd IUI 7/31: Same protocal= 4 big follies! 2 @ 18, 1@ 19, 1 @ 22. 56 million sperm = BFN
3rd IUI 8/25: Same protocal=4 big follies 1@ 18, 3 @ 23= BFP
July 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like a good idea- the shared risk type of program- just in case it doesn't take on cycle one.

I'm glad this new doctor has been so much more helpful. Sometimes a new perspective is all you need.

July 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Angel_Maker
Thanks ladies Yeah, I'm definitely going to discuss the shared risk program at Monday's appt....I hope that is an option, as I have read a lot about it online and it seems like the right thing for me....**sigh**
July 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thanks ladies Yeah, I'm definitely going to discuss the shared risk program at Monday's appt....I hope that is an option, as I have read a lot about it online and it seems like the right thing for me....**sigh**[/b]

Good luck at your appointment on Monday. It's a great idea about the shared risk program but hopefully you will get that BFP on the first try!!
July 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I responded to the other one, but I've also heard of the shared risk program and I think that's a good idea for you if they can do it.

July 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Josey's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Josey
Aw, hunny I am so sorry. I am glad to hear that you have switched doctors and have a new plan that will hopefully start soon. I love you and always have you in my prayers. I look forward to hearing about your IVF journey and can't wait to hear that BFP!! I love ya!

Thanks to ~* Helen *~ for my beautiful siggy!
July 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry to hear you didn't have any dominant or mature follicles. That happened to me with the Clomid all the way up to 150mg. Once the doctor added Follistim injections to my meds (combo cycle) - that did the trick. I've heard alot of great follicle results from a COMBINATION cycle or PURE cycle (just FSH injections - Follicle Stimulating hormone) which is still SO MUCH cheaper than IVF. Just a thought.

I remember tearing up and crying on my drive home from the Clomid cycle where they said their were no dominant or mature follicles. Luckily they were awesome and I started Provera immediately (I started it that same day, drove straight to the pharmacy) to restart my period so we could start again to do the combo cycle without any delay

The Clomid & Femara only work INDIRECTLY on the ovaries by tricking the brain and isn't very reliable. The FSH injections like Follistim (or Gonal-F, Bravelle) work DIRECTLY on the ovaries and are usually VERY effective. I hope your consult goes well and you guys find a treatment that works best for you. We're going to do up to 3-4 IUI's before IVF since it's still sooo much cheaper. Good luck and keep us posted on how your consult goes!

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

July 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Angel_Maker
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you didn't have any dominant or mature follicles. That happened to me with the Clomid all the way up to 150mg. Once the doctor added Follistim injections to my meds (combo cycle) - that did the trick. I've heard alot of great follicle results from a COMBINATION cycle or PURE cycle (just FSH injections - Follicle Stimulating hormone) which is still SO MUCH cheaper than IVF. Just a thought.

I remember tearing up and crying on my drive home from the Clomid cycle where they said their were no dominant or mature follicles. Luckily they were awesome and I started Provera immediately (I started it that same day, drove straight to the pharmacy) to restart my period so we could start again to do the combo cycle without any delay

The Clomid & Femara only work INDIRECTLY on the ovaries by tricking the brain and isn't very reliable. The FSH injections like Follistim (or Gonal-F, Bravelle) work DIRECTLY on the ovaries and are usually VERY effective. I hope your consult goes well and you guys find a treatment that works best for you. We're going to do up to 3-4 IUI's before IVF since it's still sooo much cheaper. Good luck and keep us posted on how your consult goes! [/b]

April, there's a part of me that really wants to try the injectibles....however, Dr. Duffy said that he would *NOT* do injectibles for me because my ovaries are so severely polycystic and he was afraid of over stimulating me even on the lowest dose HOWEVER, Dr. Freeman *may* feel differently and might suggest it <?????>

My only reservation is that we've ALREADY spent so much money in the past year <$2,000 in hospital bills, $2,000 in funeral expenses, $2,000 at the RE so far> We're at $6K ALREADY and haven't ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING!!! I just don't know if I want to spend $1,000 for an injectible/IUI cycle when I've had such bad luck thus far

I guess there's a part of my heart that isn't totally made up yet!! I'm going to consider everything Dr. Freeman discusses on Monday and we will go from there
July 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
honey! I am hoping & praying that whatever you decide to do, it does the trick on the first try.

July 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

The Clomid & Femara only work INDIRECTLY on the ovaries by tricking the brain and isn't very reliable. The FSH injections like Follistim (or Gonal-F, Bravelle) work DIRECTLY on the ovaries and are usually VERY effective. I hope your consult goes well and you guys find a treatment that works best for you. We're going to do up to 3-4 IUI's before IVF since it's still sooo much cheaper. Good luck and keep us posted on how your consult goes! [/b]

April, there's a part of me that really wants to try the injectibles....however, Dr. Duffy said that he would *NOT* do injectibles for me because my ovaries are so severely polycystic and he was afraid of over stimulating me even on the lowest dose HOWEVER, Dr. Freeman *may* feel differently and might suggest it <?????>

My only reservation is that we've ALREADY spent so much money in the past year <$2,000 in hospital bills, $2,000 in funeral expenses, $2,000 at the RE so far> We're at $6K ALREADY and haven't ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING!!! I just don't know if I want to spend $1,000 for an injectible/IUI cycle when I've had such bad luck thus far

I guess there's a part of my heart that isn't totally made up yet!! I'm going to consider everything Dr. Freeman discusses on Monday and we will go from there
[/b]
oH girl! I know it must be so hard to know what's the best decision. My RE said they hold off on doing PURE FSH cycles (injectables only) at first for patients with PCOS because our ovaries tend to stimulate so easy. I only do 2 days of injectables at a lower dose. Our IUI only costs $274 total since our meds are covered by insurance, but if yours ranges around 1K then I can certainly see why you would prefer to move ahead with IVF. I would probably feel the same way.

Keep us posted on how your consultation goes!

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

July 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry to hear that this cycle didn't work and that you have to start thinking about other stressful options. I am also polycystic and was told that IVF was great for polycystic patients. It worked out great, I hope that you have great results with IVF!

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
July 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Good Luck with your appt on Monday. Hope you can get things going and get your BFP real soon.

Do not mention on FB
July 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Super Mommy
Goodluck on your appointment!!!!!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search