Do I have to????

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Angel_Maker
I was just wondering if I will HAVE TO be on BCP before starting meds for IVF??? I really don't think it's necessary since I don't have "functioning" ovaries anyway!! LOL....but I was just wondering if that was standard protocol?????
July 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I was just wondering if I will HAVE TO be on BCP before starting meds for IVF??? I really don't think it's necessary since I don't have "functioning" ovaries anyway!! LOL....but I was just wondering if that was standard protocol?????[/b]

No you dont have to. Ive never on bcp before an ivf cycle, just lupron.
TTC #1 since October 2006

Three Clomid/IUI cycles... all BFN
IVF #1: Transferred 2, BFN
IVF #2 (FET): Cancelled due to thin lining, converted to EFT cycle

*Abnormal EFT/biopsy...surgical hysteroscopy done to remove scarring and polyps*
Mock IVF cycle and repeat EFT is NORMAL!

FET transfer 10/27, BFP!!

#1 Beta: 11/5 - 44
#2 Beta: 11/7 - 145
#3 Beta: 11/14 - 4835
1st U/S: 12/2 - no h/b, waiting to m/c

July 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just popping in - we started IVF and had very similar issues as you and your DH. We were told that the docs have found that success rates at retrieval are higher for patients who were on BCP. Although you may not have to take BCP, you might want to. I would talk to your doc.
Either way, good luck.
July 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Angel_Maker
Quote:
Just popping in - we started IVF and had very similar issues as you and your DH. We were told that the docs have found that success rates at retrieval are higher for patients who were on BCP. Although you may not have to take BCP, you might want to. I would talk to your doc.
Either way, good luck.[/b]

Thanks, do you know why the success rates are higher? I will bring this up with my RE on Monday, but I just think BCP is unnecessary for me because my ovaries don't do anything by themselves

Quote:
No you dont have to. Ive never on bcp before an ivf cycle, just lupron.[/b]

How long is an IVF cycle from start to finish (transfer) if you don't do the month of BCP before?
July 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Either way, good luck.[/b]

Thanks, do you know why the success rates are higher? I will bring this up with my RE on Monday, but I just think BCP is unnecessary for me because my ovaries don't do anything by themselves

Quote:
No you dont have to. Ive never on bcp before an ivf cycle, just lupron.[/b]

How long is an IVF cycle from start to finish (transfer) if you don't do the month of BCP before?
[/b]

It really depends on what your protocol is... for my first cycle I was on the antagonist protocol so I got to skip the lupron and start with stims and ganirelix... that cycle was quick. I was on stims/ganirelix 8 days, then ER, then 3 days later ET then beta 11 days after that. So it was really only 22 days or so.

The next cycle I did the lupron protocol, and you start lupron cd21 and take until AF comes... and then start the cycle after, so it would probably run a little longer, maybe 35 days or so.

There are different protocols of varying length, so it would depend on what your doctor picks for you but that is a guideline for what I did.

*Abnormal EFT/biopsy...surgical hysteroscopy done to remove scarring and polyps*

July 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I had to be on BCP before the start of each IVF cycle. It's so frustrating because I just kept thinking it was another month lost. My doctor told me it was to get my ovaries nsync with each other and get rid of any cysts that may be there. Good luck!
July 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
kmannetta2005's Avatar Veteran
I had to be on it both times. They do it to thin your lining out, kind of like a fresh start for your uterus.

Kelly-28
DH- 31
TTC since 2/2007
HSG done in 12/2007 and showed blockage of tubes
3/2008- First IVF=BFN
Starting 2ND IVF cycle in June- Hoping for a 2009 Baby!!!!
6/25/08- starting lupron injections
7/7/08- suppression check
7/7/08- start Gonal-F
7/17/08- trigger shot
7/19/08- retrieval (please fertilize eggies): 7/22/08- transferred 2 embies HCG scheduled for 8/4
July 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is wise to do it. What was explained to me is that they want to suppress your ovaries & keep them quiet before all the stims. It is like the calm before the storm. It was totally worth is for us as you well know.

July 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
although I ended up on BCP both times, my RE said I didn't have to as long as I had 2 normal cycles prior to the IVF cycle. He said it was just to control the timing of the previous cycle.

July 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Veteran
I am doing the lupron protocol as well...no BCP...I don't necessarily think that the BCP will increase the success rate, your protocol is based on the individual...

I started Lupron and provera on day 21, and now I am waiting for AF to arrive, once that comes then we can start the cycle monitoring and stims on day 3...so the entire cycle will take approx. 6 weeks...
July 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy

They also do it so that they can make sure all the women are on the same time schedule. Most RE's do group cycles, so to ensure that everyone is starting meds w/in 1 or 2 days of eachother they put you on birth control..

It also helps w/suppressing the ovaries.. Just because your ovaries dont make mature follicles doesnt mean they arent secreting hormones..so its best to just shut them down all together.

July 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Angel_Maker
How are they supposed to base the timing of meds with my "cycles" when I DON'T have them???

Also, my uterine lining is like NON existant!!! EEEERRRR.....I want it to be Monday because I have so many questions
July 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
How are they supposed to base the timing of meds with my "cycles" when I DON'T have them???

Also, my uterine lining is like NON existant!!! EEEERRRR.....I want it to be Monday because I have so many questions [/b]

I thought your lining got pretty thick this cycle?

July 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Angel_Maker
Quote:
Quote:

Also, my uterine lining is like NON existant!!! EEEERRRR.....I want it to be Monday because I have so many questions [/b]

[/b]

Yeah, it did this cycle but only because of the increased dose of Clomid....it stays thin FOREVER without meds....I was just thinking they could give my Provera to induce AF instead????
July 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

Yeah, it did this cycle but only because of the increased dose of Clomid....it stays thin FOREVER without meds....I was just thinking they could give my Provera to induce AF instead????
[/b]
There's plently they can do... they'll probably give you provera to induce AF and they'll pump you full of estrogen while you are going through the IVF cycle to thicken your lining where it needs to be. I have a good feeling about this for you!

July 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Angel_Maker
Ok, so I guess it's safe to say that I'll be given Provera to induce AF, then BCP for a month, and then have a couple weeks of meds before ER and ET????

So I guess the end of September, beginning of October....that seems so far away!!!!
July 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Quote:

even if you dont have cycles they will stick you on birth control. w/my first ivf AF didnt come..at all! so they went a head and put me on the birth control eventhough my period hadnt came yet.. they dont need you to start a period for you to start your suppression meds (birth control and lupron) they dont even need you to have breakthrough bleeding after the birth control before you start stims..

They just need your ovaries to be quiet ..so they can manipulate them.

July 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Angel_Maker
Quote:
Quote:

even if you dont have cycles they will stick you on birth control. w/my first ivf AF didnt come..at all! so they went a head and put me on the birth control eventhough my period hadnt came yet.. they dont need you to start a period for you to start your suppression meds (birth control and lupron) they dont even need you to have breakthrough bleeding after the birth control before you start stims..

[/b]

That's good to know! I'm so worked up and have so many questions! I cannot wait for Monday!! IVF has had such good results on this board, and I want to be next

Ok, Christin, so when are you having an ultrasound?????
July 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say if you start BCP soon, then you will be cycling in Aug/Sept b/c I started my BCP in July, stimmed at the beginning of Aug, did my ER on Aug 21st & the ET on Aug 24th. I got my BFP on Sept 4th. Wow, I can't believe I remembered all those dates! I'm not sure how Lupron works alone b/c I did it in conjunction w/ the BCP. Like Christin said, they wanted my ovaries quiet & rested. As long as it may seem, the cycle goes fairly quickly. I can't wait to stalk your cycle!

July 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

That's good to know! I'm so worked up and have so many questions! I cannot wait for Monday!! IVF has had such good results on this board, and I want to be next

Ok, Christin, so when are you having an ultrasound?????
[/b]

I know hun..i had a million questions when i first started ivf..its a crazy process!!

My ultrasound is Thursday and I'm scared to death!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search