*UPDATED with good news!*Nervous my IUI was not timed right!!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I had my IUI at around 2pm yesterday afternoon. I just took an OPK (28 hrs later) and it is positive!! This means that I probably haven't ovulated yet right?? I am supposed to go back to the RE tomorrow morning at 11am and she is going to do another u/s to see if my follies are still there and if they are she wants to do another IUI. But now I am scared I am going to ovulate between now and then and then it will be like my IUI was too early!!

This is upsetting considering we spent $1200 on this IUI cycle. So now I am praying that either the OPK is wrong and I have already ovulated (I was having some massive O pains this morning which have subsided so I figured I ovulated this morning maybe) or that the O delays just long enough for me to get another IUI tomorrow before I do ovulate. I am temping so I guess I will probably know before my appt. whether I O'd by whether or not my temp goes up. We'll see, but I'm so anxious and scared now that it wasn't timed right!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*~Update*~
So I went back today for the RE to check if my follies were still there. I was not expecting anything because I saw a big temp rise this morning so I was pretty depressed thinking that I O'd yesterday way after the IUI was done on Weds.

Well the RE does the u/s and the 2 mature follies are still there and she said that I haven't released the eggs yet!! yay!!!! So DH gave another sample and they did another IUI on me and gave me the HCG trigger shot after the IUI. RE said to BD tomorrow to help with the chances because she thinks I will O very soon!!! I am soooooo happy about this!!!! After we spent so much money I was really depressed thinking that we didn't really have a chance this cycle.

I did not realize that you could have a lot of cramps (which I did yesterday) followed by a big temp rise the next morning and still not have ovulated. This could explain why I am not pregnant yet if this has happened in a lot of the months we have been TTC because we usually BD up to day 14 or so (or until a temp rise if I'm charting) and the quit the BDing, but perhaps this was a big mistake!!

I am so excited, but I really hope I O on my own sooner than when the HCG shot kicks in. Can't it take 24-36 hrs to O after a trigger shot?? If that happens I still think the IUI will have been done a bit too early, but at least DH and I will get a BD session in late tonight or tomorrow morning when he gets off work!!

So I go back in 2 weeks to find out if I'm pregnant. However I def. want to test before then but I don't want to test too soon because can't the trigger shot give you false positives if you test too soon?

July 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh, honey! I am so sorry!! I know what it's like to worry about the timing of an IUI. It's agony.
I am hoping and praying hard for you that this is your turn! Good luck tomorrow and please KUP!

July 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
I am so sorry. I hope that you are able to get another IUI in tomorrow or that you already Oed and the timing was right.

Do not mention on FB
July 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't worry too much about the OPK. I get + OPK's for up to 7 days after the first. All signs have said O after the first + OPK. (Temps, cervix, CM)

I say trust your doc and what you felt. If you felt O.... I bet that was it

Calming coming your way

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

July 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about the OPK. I get + OPK's for up to 7 days after the first. All signs have said O after the first + OPK. (Temps, cervix, CM)

I say trust your doc and what you felt. If you felt O.... I bet that was it

Calming coming your way [/b]
I so hope you are right..

I was even more depressed when I read online that the "washed sperm" that they use for the IUI doesn't live as long as regular sperm. I read they may only live 24 hours. If that is the case then I am in trouble because I got the +OPK ~28hrs after the IUI. So if that is the case there is no way any of the swimmers will be alive by the time I will/did O. This is depressing, now I feel like I am already out this cycle and I'm not even officially in the 2ww yet. And DH and I did not do any BDing because of the chance that we might do another IUI tomorrow.

Thanks for the support everyone, it means a lot. I will let you know how it goes at the RE tomorrow. I really am hoping for low temp in the morning!! But today is CD14 and I don't think I have ever O'd later than CD14, so I just pray that I actually O'd before I got that + OPK.

July 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you have a trigger? I know how difficult it is to worry about the IUI not being timed right. I was super emotional about mine last month, and it worked. My trigger was done on a Monday and I didn't go back until Wednesday for my IUI. I ovulated either super late the night before or super early the morning of the IUI and it worked. I'm sure your RE was trying to make sure the sperm was there so when you ovulated it could be waiting on the egg. I also think it's good that if you haven't ovulated she is going to do another IUI for you.

I also read a lot of stuff on the net and it just made me even more upset. Good luck hun!!!

July 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Did you have a trigger? I know how difficult it is to worry about the IUI not being timed right. I was super emotional about mine last month, and it worked. My trigger was done on a Monday and I didn't go back until Wednesday for my IUI. I ovulated either super late the night before or super early the morning of the IUI and it worked. I'm sure your RE was trying to make sure the sperm was there so when you ovulated it could be waiting on the egg. I also think it's good that if you haven't ovulated she is going to do another IUI for you.

I also read a lot of stuff on the net and it just made me even more upset. Good luck hun!!! [/b]
See my update up in the original post!

Thanks for the dust I will need it in this looong 2ww!!
July 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yep, you can ovulate anywhere from 24-48 hours after a trigger is my understanding. Get that BDing in and have fun with it. And yes, you can get false positives testing too soon after a trigger. Good luck hun.

July 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Good Luck!! So glad you were able to get another IUI before you Oed and have better timing with this one!!

Do not mention on FB
July 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
Yay!! I'm so glad you got the trigger and second IUI. I hope this is your cycle, hon!!

To answer your question, yes the trigger will give you a false positive. If you want to test earlier than 14dpo, I would strongly suggest you start testing at 5 days past IUI to watch the hcg leave your system. Once you get a clear negative, anything after that should be an actual positive. Good Luck, hon!!

July 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yay!! I'm so glad you got the trigger and second IUI. I hope this is your cycle, hon!!

To answer your question, yes the trigger will give you a false positive. If you want to test earlier than 14dpo, I would strongly suggest you start testing at 5 days past IUI to watch the hcg leave your system. Once you get a clear negative, anything after that should be an actual positive. Good Luck, hon!!

[/b]
That is a good idea about testing 5 dpiui and on so I can see when the hcg leaves my system. I just really want to have an idea before I go back to the re. I am scared I will break down crying if they tell me I'm not pg. At least if I get a bfn at home I will be mentally prepared.

How does the re test? Do they do just a blood test or will they also do a reg pg test? How soon do the blood results come back usually? Sorry for so many questions but I am new to all this!
July 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
That is a good idea about testing 5 dpiui and on so I can see when the hcg leaves my system. I just really want to have an idea before I go back to the re. I am scared I will break down crying if they tell me I'm not pg. At least if I get a bfn at home I will be mentally prepared.

How does the re test? Do they do just a blood test or will they also do a reg pg test? How soon do the blood results come back usually? Sorry for so many questions but I am new to all this!
[/b]
Your RE will generally do a beta HCG blood test. When I went in for my testing if I was there before 11am I would get the results back by the same afternoon. Best of luck to you. But don't get discouraged if you don't get BFP with HPT's. I tested with them 10-12 DPO and got a BFN and didn't get my BFP until 14DPO. And my RE confirmed through the blood test the same day.

July 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
brokebackbacon
This was a very informative thread for me since I hope to get an IUI this week.

I hope this is your cycle! I think it is great you were able to get the second IUI.
July 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

[/b]
Your RE will generally do a beta HCG blood test. When I went in for my testing if I was there before 11am I would get the results back by the same afternoon. Best of luck to you. But don't get discouraged if you don't get BFP with HPT's. I tested with them 10-12 DPO and got a BFN and didn't get my BFP until 14DPO. And my RE confirmed through the blood test the same day.
[/b]
My appointment will be late Friday afternoon. Does that mean that may not call and let me know until Monday?? I don't think I could handle that!! I may have to change my appt for in the morning then. I wanted it late afternoon because I don't want to have to go back to work afterwards.

So for this last appt, do they just draw your blood for the beta? Is there anything else they do, will they do another u/s maybe?

Thanks so much for everyones help I really appreciate it!

brokebackbacon: Good luck on your IUI this week!!
July 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Super Mommy
They will probably only do B/W.

July 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
They will probably only do B/W.[/b]
Ok so how long does it normally take to get the results? In other words will I pretty much going in and have my blood drawn then have to leave and wait for them to call me? What was the experience of others who have done IUI?
July 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Ok so how long does it normally take to get the results? In other words will I pretty much going in and have my blood drawn then have to leave and wait for them to call me? What was the experience of others who have done IUI?[/b]
Yes basically. I went in and did my blood work the day after I got my positive HPT. I wasn't even 14dpiui. They drew my blood before 11AM and I got my results that afternoon. I had to go back every two days until my beta reached over 1,000 and then I went in for an ultrasound to see the sac with my RE. I went back just this past week to look at the growth of the baby, and will go back in two weeks to see how I'm progressing. We also tested my thyroid with my third set of bloodwork since I don't have a thyroid anymore and am considered hypothyroid.

Good luck to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search