Scheduling your appointments/work?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I called my RE's nurse to ask some questions about next cycle when I hopefully will start Clomid (and do my HSG).

I have to get a baseline ultrasound during the first 3 days of my cycle. Well, they don't do them on the weekend (only IUI). So if I get my period on a Friday I'll have to stop what I'm doing and run in there that day! And if I get my period on a Saturday, that means I HAVE to go there on Monday. And it has to be afternoon because they do the Clomid ultrasounds in the afternoon and injectibles in the morning. Well, I have work on Monday and Wednesday afternoons and evenings, plus any extra days that I end up working.

Then I have to have another ultrasound on CD 12-13. Then a follow up with the RE 12-14 days after ovulation (has to be on Monday if I want to go to the location closer to me).
PLUS, this month I'll have the HSG which has to be CD 6-12 and can only be done on Mondays or Wednesdays.

Then I have to coordinate all that with my acupuncture too! (Which I like going to, it's relaxing and seems to have helped with AF cramps already.)

So I'm looking at potentially a lot of days where I will have to call into work late and in the case of the baseline, I may have little notice because I don't know exactly to the day when AF will get here. There's a policy at work where you get into trouble if you call in late or not come in too many times.

I just don't even know how people who have full time jobs can DO this! All these appointments and this is only for a Clomid cycle! I got off the phone and just started crying because I hate that I'm having to do this. I don't WANT to have to do all this when most people can just jump in the sack and 2 weeks later, they're pregnant. But I know I want a baby more than anything so I will jump through whatever hoops I have to.

The only thing I can think is that if I start having to change my schedule and/or call in late too much is that I'll tell the scheduler what is going on and hope that she can or will give me some leeway. She's had several miscarriages and knows about mine so I hope she would be sympathetic.

How do the rest of you deal with your work schedule and your appointment schedules and not knowing when you might have to come in?

I was freaking out about it and called a good friend and she reminded me that it hasn't happened yet, so I'm not allowed to worry about it yet. She said to call her once it DOES happen and then she will freak out with me.

July 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry it is so stressful! I went through the same thing when trying to schedule and make appointments for my baseline u/s, mid cycle scan, IUI, etc. when we were going through IUI to have my DS. It is totally up to you but i think confiding in whoever handles scheduling at your job might be a good idea. I work full time and when we were trying to conceive DS, I spoke to my vice principal (I'm a speech therapist working in schools). He knew I had been through two m/c's and was very understanding when I spoke to him about the situation. In fact, he let me run out to appointments without calling out of school or having to take sick days or anything like that. I scheduled my appointments as early as possible in the morning so that I only had to miss an hour or two of work. I think talking to your boss might be a good idea.

Good luck.

February, 2005
August, 2005
July 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
txjovigal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to txjovigal Send a message via Yahoo to txjovigal
I work full time and have had A LOT of appointments. I was just honest with my boss and told him that this was my #1 priority this year and that I would be having quite a bit of appointments and he said ok...

But what I try to do is have the appointment either really early or really late in the day and then I try to work thru lunch most of the week to make up the time and if I can't make up the time, I use my vacation time.

Its hard but I guess I really lucky that my boss is really understanding, in fact, our firm is really family oriented.

working on my 3rd, for sure by 11/15/11
July 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Quote:
I work full time and have had A LOT of appointments. I was just honest with my boss and told him that this was my #1 priority this year and that I would be having quite a bit of appointments and he said ok...

But what I try to do is have the appointment either really early or really late in the day and then I try to work thru lunch most of the week to make up the time and if I can't make up the time, I use my vacation time.

Its hard but I guess I really lucky that my boss is really understanding, in fact, our firm is really family oriented.
[/b]
I am a nanny so its even harder to get time off because I take off and they need to try and work from home or get time off too. But they have been so GREAT about it all.

Do not mention on FB
July 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Veteran
How did I deal with my one treatment cycle (Repronex and IUI)? Same as you-cried and stressed! I don't have a job that I can easily leave on the spur of the moment. I probably used up 16-20 sick hours at least for one cycle and I only get 60 hours a year. So that was 1/3 of my sick time for one cycle, and it was unsuccessful to top it off. (I can't just take off one or two hours-I have to have someone cover my job and no one will come in for less than 4).

Since my infertility is unexplained, I'd venture that extreme stress is a huge factor and going through fertility treatment absolutely doesn't help that factor one bit.

I took June off to deal with the side effects from the Repronex (cysts) and then took off July too, because I would not be able to make the mornings-only appointments that they prefer (it would be nice if they would schedule to the convenience of their patients ) I don't see what the difference is of doing an u/s in the morning vs. doing it in the afternoon.

We may go back in August to try again. Maybe I'll have relaxed enough by then (thinking about doing accupuncture, too). I'm on vacation, so I won't have to use sick time.

I'm sorry I have no advice, Shannon. It's really difficult and it absolutely sucks. I won't be able to jump through the hoops much longer
M/C January '08
Jan-Apr '08: Testing w/RE; unexplained inf.
May '08: IUI cycle #1-BFN
June '08: No TTC
July '08: No medical assistance; BFN

~readyat39~
July 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
I wish I had some good advice for you but I'm in the same boat myself. With my IVF cycles, I was going in for b/w every other day and u/s every few days too. I would literally have an appointment at least 3-4 times a week, and it kept getting pushed out b/c my lining was too thin so this would go on for like 2 months straight. Not to mention the time off for ER and ET and various other treatments I've done. I would just tell people at work (supervisor/HR) that I was going through some personal medical things that required me to take a lot of time off and last minute time. So far it hasn't been too much of a problem but I still always get stressed. I have taken a whole lotta time off and still more to come.

It's stressful but hopefully worth it in the end. I guess the best thing to do is to talk to someone at work (supervisor/HR) and explain the situation and see how they react to it. Hopefully they will be understanding.
TTC #1 since October 2006

Three Clomid/IUI cycles... all BFN
IVF #1: Transferred 2, BFN
IVF #2 (FET): Cancelled due to thin lining, converted to EFT cycle

*Abnormal EFT/biopsy...surgical hysteroscopy done to remove scarring and polyps*
Mock IVF cycle and repeat EFT is NORMAL!

FET transfer 10/27, BFP!!

#1 Beta: 11/5 - 44
#2 Beta: 11/7 - 145
#3 Beta: 11/14 - 4835
1st U/S: 12/2 - no h/b, waiting to m/c

July 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
ugghhh...why does work always get in the way! I stress about the same things but just happened to get lucky this cycle and my baseline u/s and follicle scans just happened to fall on days off. When I was waiting for AF to show I would obsess looking at my planner trying to decide what to do if AF showed this day or this day. Like your friend said don't worry about it until it happens and then you can decide what to do. Who knows maybe the same will happen and you just get lucky! I was going to use the flat tire excuse if I had to have my u/s on a day I worked! I would have only been an hour late so it seemed perfect.
July 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I consider myself extremely lucky right now. I have an office in a building, but rarely go there. Most days I work from home. My manager works half way across the country and I only see him a few times a year. He has no idea when I am or am not working. I usually put in 50+ hours/week, but can do them when I want, so I've been able to make appointment so far. I am supposed to travel the next two times i should be Oing. I just told my manager that I had stuff going on that made it difficult to be away from home right now and would appreciate if I didn't have to go to the second trip if it wasn't business critical. He won't make any promises, but as I push off scheduling my travel it gets more and more likely that I won't need to go. Luckily the other trip is just a few hours away and DH and I plan on driving back and forth during the week to make sure we don't miss Oing. I do think I'll have to fess up to him what's going on if I'm not pregnant soon as I'm sure I'll start having more appointments.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the same problems and since I'm a teacher, I had to make sure I had a substitute and lesson plans in order. It was a pain in the butt. I finally had to tell the secretary (she schedules subs) that I had some appointments that were based on my cycle and since it was unpredictable, I couldn't guarantee when I would need off. She was wonderful about the whole thing, but it sucked for me. I tried really hard to get my appointments in the early morning or afternoon. It didn't always work though. I get very minimal sick time at work too. I was worried that they because I was out for my cancer treatment the first week of school this past year. Then I got sick after that for a week with a HIGH fever and no DX and was made to stay home. Thankfully, my boss just wanted to make sure that I was okay and nobody said anything to me.

If it comes down to it, maybe you can just explain to her what's going on and go from there. Good luck hun.

Tami

July 11th, 2008, 05:56 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks all. It stinks because I'd like to look for a new job...but I know there is just NO WAY I could go be a newbie at a new hospital and expect them to cater to my schedule.

I may see if I can get any leeway on getting my ultrasounds in the morning instead of afternoon, because that would really help. If not, I'll just have to tell supervisors on a "need to know" basis so that hopefully I don't get into trouble. I'm not too worried about using up my vacation time...luckily since I'm part time I rarely use it anyway, and I can always work "extra hours" beyond my normal 20 to help make up for time that I miss.

I can't help but worry a bit because with everything that will be going on, plus factoring in my work commute (30 miles), it has all the makings of a logistical nightmare. I never thought about it before, but you don't stand a CHANCE to not obsess about your cycle when you are TTCWMA. All your doctors visits practically ensure that you will always be thinking about it!

July 12th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You got it Shannon! There is no way not to think about it and count the days and what not...but yet they still tell you to relax! HA!

A lot of people at work know what is going on with me TTCMA, so they good about it. I work in a lab, so whenever I have blood work done, they all see the tests as they're running them, and processing them, and what not. So, even though there were very few people that I told, everyone seems to know. Which is ok with me. Our friends don't know, our families don't know, so I am fine with my co-workers knowing. (<--- Ok, WAAAAY off topic here, sorry)

Anyway, I think the best thing for you to do would be, like you said, tell people on a need to know basis.

And, don't count yourself out for a new job yet! Think positively that you are going to get pg this cycle and then next month you can get a new job it you want it!

July 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to amy2008
I guess I am really lucky. My RE has clinic hours from 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 am for u/s, blood work, etc. She has them every day except for Christmas...if something happens on the weekend, you just have to call by 7:15 to they know you are coming in. I have told my supervisor exactly what is going on he has been incredible. I think in my 6 months with this RE, I have just had to miss 3 hours of work...and those were on the IUI days.

I am sorry this aspect is so stressful! I think it helps to be completely open with your supervisor/scheduler/etc. People will be a lot more understanding when they know why this is happening.

My Angels:
Hope - m/c 10/5/04
Junior - m/c 1/31/06
Baby - m/c 1/27/08
May - d&c/lap/tube removal 6/13/08

IVF in September: BFN

To view my blog click here
July 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
KaseyMI's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

[/b]
^ This sounds like exactly what I do.

GOOD LUCK!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search