HSGs and increased chance of pregnancy?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone have stats on how much an HSG will increase your chances of getting pregnant?
I think it increases your chances for about 3 cyles, right?

We're planning on starting Clomid (even though I ovulate already) and doing an HSG next cycle. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should do an IUI too? Like since our chances will already be higher, why not up them even more, know what I mean?

I don't know if that is logical since we've "only" been trying 9 cycles. I just would hate to see the Clomid destroy what little CM I have (although I am using Preseed) and not have a good chance on the months after my HSG. But I don't think Dh will go for an IUI.

Also we'll already be spending almost $500 I think for ultrasound monitoring and appointments. So I figure while we are hemmoraging money we may as well spring another $300 for IUI and up our chances even more.

July 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
brokebackbacon
Well, I think that is a fine idea! B/c that is what I am doing, LOL. Let me see if I can find HSG stats.

I found this! Not sure if it makes sense though

Quote:
A conception rate of 41% within 1 year of an HSG with oil media has been
reported, whereas the rate was only 27% when water-soluble agents were
employed.

A review of the question of oil versus aqueous dye noted that in every
retrospective study in which increased pregnancy rates were noted after HSG, an oil dye was used.

In a randomized, prospective study of close to 400 women, the pregnancy and live birth rates were increased in women who had their HSG performed with oil dye. Within 9 owlation cycles following an HSG, the pregnancy rate was 33% in the oil dye group and 17% in the water dye group.

HSG with Ehiodol is a very useful therapeutic as well as diagnostic tool in women with infertility.

How does the oil dye increase fertility?

1) It may effect a mechanical lavage of the tubes, dislodging mucus plugs.
2) It may straighten the tubes and thus break down peritoneal adhesions.
3) It may provide a stimulatory effect for the cilia of the tube.
4) It may improve cervical mucus.
5) The iodine may exert a bacteriostatic effect on the mucous membranes .
6) Ethiodol decreases in vitro phagocytosis by peritoneal macrophages. If the same effect occurs in vive it could decrease macrophage activity and thus aid fertility by inhibiting the release of cytokines and decreasing phagocytosis of sperm.[/b]
SOURCE

But I have heard that the enhancement of fertility affect lasts around 3 months.
July 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Sounds like a great plan! Good Luck!! Hope DH can be talked in the IUI!! We are doing an HSG on Friday and hoping to have a higher chance of getting pg too!!!

Do not mention on FB
July 13th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats a tough decision to make. Maybe you could try one cycle of timed BD and then if that doens't work, or you have no CM, then go to IUI. Maybe your DH will be more on board with it then.

Personally, I have more CM when I am on Clomid. I think it is because of the increased estogen coursing through my body!

July 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM
^JenJen^
I was told an HSG increases fertility for the 3 cycle following. I have OODLES of CM on clomid, lol, so it may not dry you out and if you aren't noticing CM you can also take guafinesin to increase CM too
July 13th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks girls!

My body has been doing this thing where I have fertile CM, but then a day or two before O, it just STOPS. I don't know what's up with that.

I've tried Robitussin, Mucinex, baby carrots, none of it seems to help.

Maybe the Clomid will help from the extra estrogen. Or that's a good idea to try one cycle on our own and then see what my RE says about moving on to IUI.

July 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that's a good plan. Clomid seems to do different things to everyone. I hope that you get a great result with the clomid!

July 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too hope you get a great result with Clomid. I get a bit dried out from it most of my cycle, but still have lots of EWCM around O. I've been wondering about an HSG increasing pregnancy chances as well. I would maybe give the clomid a round of too before deciding to do an IUI. I think most docs want to give you 3 cycles, but I'm sure your doc would be willing to work with you.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried Evening of Primrose Oil to help your CM? I use it and get a ton of EWCM before and during O.

Do not mention on FB
July 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Have you tried Evening of Primrose Oil to help your CM? I use it and get a ton of EWCM before and during O.[/b]
I did for I think one cycle, but then I read something negative about EPO. I can't remember what it was, but it was something that concerned me, so I stopped taking it.

Now I am 2nd guessing myself again and wondering if maybe I should just try one cycle with NO clomid or anything with the HSG, just in case the Clomid ruins my lining or CM or something. I don't know. I think I am just overthinking it or something and I should probably just stick with the Clomid plan.

July 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
EPO causes uterine contractions if taking in later pg. From what I have read as long as you stop the day you O I don't think there is anything to worry about. I asked my DR and he did not seemed concerned about me using it.

Good Luck what ever you decide to do this cycle!!

Do not mention on FB

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search