Any help with Male fertility issues?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Melanie0507's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! I am stopping by to see if anyone can give me any advice or input. Here's the quick rundown...

Well, yesterday we got the results of dh's SA. Keep in mind that my doctor only ordered the HSG and SA to start the ball rolling, but was pretty sure that everything would come back fine and then I would start on Clomid (keep in mind that we have a 10 year old son together and then I got pregnant the first month we TTC again-back in September).

Well, my HSG came back all fine, no problems. Dh went last friday and did his SA (kinda begrudgingly ). Well, I got a call from my doctor's office yesterday that dh's SA came back with *very low* sperm count (only 5 million...normal is >20 million), as well as decreased motility and morphology.

I was SHOCKED, to say the least. That is the LAST thing I expected, and I was really worried about how dh would take the news. I called and scheduled an appt for Aug 5 with a Urologist. The nurse said it could be an easy fix (a variocele in the scrotum) OR they could end up treating both of us (fertility drugs to increase the odds of catching an eggie) OR we could end up doing IUI. We will just have to wait and see what he has to say.

So, that's all my news. Dh actually took the news really well. He said, "well, now what do we do??." I told him that maybe this would be our opportunity for twins and then be done having kiddos (we want 2 more).

We are actually leaving early tomorrow for a week in upstate NY visiting dh's extended family. It is *small town USA*, so I will not have internet access while we are at his grandma's. I will check back in next weekend. If anyone has any input or advice, I would LOVE to hear it!!
Owen 5/17/09 (Born with Hirschsprung's Disease)
And expecting our newest addition 5/7/12

July 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I don't have much advice but our story might give you some hope.

Your DH's count is better than my DH's count! My DH had an SA when we were trying to have our son. We were really struggling to get pregnant. His count came back at 1.23 million sperm per mL. Yup, that low. His morphology/motility was fine but that count - ugh!

We went to the urologist and were not surprised to find out DH has a large varicocele. Our urologist was very honest with us. He said DH could go ahead and have the corrective surgery for it but that 50% of men who have the surgery still need to uses medical assistance to get their partner's pregnant. DH was not liking the idea of having surgery there anyway. The urologist suggest we stick with IUI/IVF. IVF was just so pricey. I talked to my OB and she wanted to go straight to IVF/ICSI. I asked to try IUI for a few cycles and she agreed.

I started Clomid (to give DH's swimmers more targets but I didn't need it to ovulate) and we went through the IUI process. We were successful on our second try! We got pregnant with a post sperm wash number of 5.6 million sperm with 98% motility. We were thrilled and now we have our beautiful son.

When we were discharged from the hospital, they told us to come on back for another IUI when we were ready to get pregnant again. Basically, they didn't think it was possible for us to get pg on our own (despite that we had gotten pregnant twice naturally before then but that had resulted in two miscarriages). Well we were shocked to find out we were pregnant again just before Christmas last year. I guess DH has a few good swimmers in his 1.23 million per mL! We feel very lucky that this one happened unexpectedly and naturally and that is "stuck."

So hang in there. Even with low counts, you can get pg either on your own (though it may take a while) or with IUI or IVF. IUI worked for us and I'm always hopeful that it will work for other woman as well.

February, 2005
August, 2005
July 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH also had the triple whammy. We did 1 IUI unsuccessfully & sat down w/ the RE for a serious talk. He said we could continue trying through IUIs but since there was also a morphology issue that we may get pg w/ a bad sperm which would eventually lead to a m/c. We already had 1 m/c & didn't want to experience a 2nd loss so we decided our best odds were to go through w/ IVF & ICSI (inject sperm into egg directly). We were successful on the 1st attempt & now have THREE beautiful children. Apparently when his good sperm find my good eggs, we make lots of babies! Our girls are identical & then we have a fraternal son. We are now officially DONE w/ having children.

Oh, our odds w/ the IVF & ICSI were 85%. Not too shabby IMO & totally worth the $.

July 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
I don't have any advice. But wanted to wish Good Luck!! Hope its an easy fix and you get your BFP real soon!!

Do not mention on FB
July 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Dh has MFI as well..... Poor Morphology and on the 24 hour test..... all of his sperm died..... we were begining to start the IUI process but I then got hit with a POCS diagnosys and my doctor recommended at that point we move directly onto IVF and we are. I don't think that there is really any quick fix for MFI, surgery is an option other than that there are lifestyle changes that can be made but usually dont have a whole lot of effect, in my experience, on it anyway

July 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
*lurker*

I just wanted to say that my DF has serious MFI issues -- 375,000 sperm per ML with 14% motility and 1% morphology (Triple whammy!!! Thats like 3,700 GOOD and viable sperm per ML. Shesh!) which was down from his count 5 years ago which was 2.25 million per ML. We were advised to immediately begin IVF with ICSI. DF has a varicose but the doctor said its only grade 1 and surgery wont fix this issue. Since we aren't married yet, we have to wait until February. They think he has some kinda genetic issue which is causing his sperm count to go down by 1 million per year.. so hes getting genetic counsiling as well. Hes taking all sorts of vitamins now to try and help out his spermies in any way he can so that when we do IVF, there will at least be SOME good sperm. The doctors are concerned he won't have ANY within 1 year. So we're freezing them this fall -- somewhere around 10-15 vials we were told we need to freeze.

Not all doctors will implant 2 eggs - depends on your age, and any fertility issues you might have. Our doctor refuses to implant 2 eggs into me (says i'd have a 95% chance of twins) 1 egg is fine by me! No twins yet!

*Back to lurking*
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
July 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
My DH has the same issue he has on 2% morphology and my doctor told us we should have IVF with ICSI but have to wait until Decemeber, I am not positive about what he needs to do yet so we meet with the doctonr July 28th to go over everything and the Dr told me that in Dec my insurance will pick it all up.

I would lvoe to have twins but not sure if I can handle carrying them both

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search