questions about Ovidrel?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have any of you used Ovidrel and you were only using Clomid with no IUI?

They told me they may or may not tell me to trigger. So if I need the Ovidrel I have to go fill it that day and bring it back for them to give me the shot. But it looks like no one keeps it in stock unless I drive 30 miles into Houston.

I was thinking about going ahead and filling the prescription "just in case" and keeping it on hand. But then...I have no idea how long it is usually good for? Can anyone that has it check and see how long before theirs expires?

Thanks ladies!

July 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
brokebackbacon
I would call the pharmacy and ask them the shelf life of Ovidrel. I threw out my box after I returned the needle to my clinic's sharp container, otherwise I would look and tell you! I remember reading it, but can't remember the date. You have to keep it refrigerated though, so I am thinking it doesn't last too long.

I think a bunch of women on here have triggered without using IUI. Like April (babybird).
And I wish they would have injected me instead of having to do it myself! I was a wuss about it and so Dustin had to do it for me, lol.

ETA: Of course, I am no expert though! I have just started doing all this myself
July 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
I threw out my box too so I can't say for sure but I did get it for my last Femara cycle in April and didn't use it. I kept it in the fridge and used it this cycle. I remember it was well before it expired but I can't remember exactly when. I would say go ahead and get it because if you wait until a day or two before you need it you might not be able to find a pharmacy that has it right away.

ETA: I keep all my used syringe needles in an empty milk jug and will take them to the hospital when it is full to be disposed of.
July 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
AprilBaby08's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to AprilBaby08
I don't know for sure how long it lasts, but I remember buying it last cycle, ended up having a cyst at my baseline, and not using it for another 40 days. It was still good and was well within the expiration date. I say go ahead and get it and keep it in the fridge.
Feb-Mar 07: 100 mg Clomid= Late O, but BFN.
Apr 07: 100 mg Clomid + Met 1000mg = Late O, but BFN.
May 07: 150 mg Clomid + Met 1000mg = No O.
July 07: 150 mg Clomid + Met 1000mg = No O.
Aug 07: 200 mg Clomid= No O.
Sep 07- Nov 07: On a TTC Break.
Dec 07: Gonal-f and IUI cycle = BFN
March 08: Waiting to start IVF, but O'd on my own after weight loss!!!!
April 08: TTC with clomid 100 mg= BFN....but happy I o'd again!!!
June 08: Consult with RE to start Gonal-F and IUI cycle.
July 08; Gonal-f and IUI cycle=Cancelled. Too many follies. E2 too high.

<div align="center">

</div>
July 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just popping in to say good luck!! I agree with the other ladies - go ahead and get it. I'm sure it doesn't have a super short shelf life. The doctor gave me mine, so I didn't have the box to keep.

July 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
I agree. I would fill it to keep on hand for when you need it. Good Luck!

Do not mention on FB
July 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
I'm not sure what the expiration date was on mine, but I know I bought it in February and didn't use it until April. And I had to keep it refrigerated. I know the Walgreens at 7400 Fannin carries all fertility medications.
Best of luck to you.

July 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks ladies. For those who gave themselves the shot....did someone show you/tell you how to do it? I can't imagine having to give it to myself, I'd be afraid I'd mess it up somehow!

July 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM
brokebackbacon
They showed us how to get the air bubble out, and then pointed to where I should stick it, LOL. I tried to do it, but didn't do it fast enough b/c I was too timid, and only the tip went in. That hurt! So my husband did it, and he really whammed it in there. I f I do it again, I will be sure to improve my technique and do it myself. I seemed to be one of the few women that had a problem shooting myself up!
July 20th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
It is really easy. It comes prefilled and all you do is tap the air bubble to the top and push the plunger just enough to get the air out and see a tiny drip of fluid at the tip of the needle. Clean the area on your belly where you are going to inject with an alcohol swab. I always let it air dry for a few seconds so that the alcohol doesn't sting when the needle goes in. Squeeze the area of skin around where you are going to inject. Then in one quick motion stick the needle into your belly...quick but not super hard! Don't go slow because that will hurt more and you will have to use more pressure to get it through that top layer of skin. When you go through that layer of skin is really the only part you may feel the pinch. Then push the plunger slowly to avoind burning. Once you get all the meds in hold the syrynge in place for a few seconds before you withdrawl the needle. It can be really nerve wracking before you do it for the first time but once you do it you will think it is a piece of cake! Good luck!

ETA: (oh and yes, my RE's nurse showed me in the office how to do it too )
Michelle, I am sure IF you have to do it next time you will be a pro too!
July 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
*shudders* The idea of me giving myself a shot gives me the heebie jeebies! Ack!

Maybe I'll make Dh do it.

July 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I picked up my Ovidrel prescription about 2 months before I got to use it. You just keep it refrigerated. I *think* the prescriptions you get from the pharmacy expire at least a year after you get it--therefore the date should be about a year or more out. I think mine was February 2009???
My RE office showed me how to do the injection (although what they showed me wasn't a pre-filled syringe, so the Ovidrel is even easier). I did the shot myself. I used to get allergy shots and this didn't hurt at all. The needle is not short, but it is skinny.
Check out this website about Ovidrel--it has instructions so you can see what it's like: http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/serono/p...nstructions.jsp

BTW...I got my BFP after Clomid, Ovidrel and timed intercourse. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search