HSG questions

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My HSG is next Monday and I have a few things I was wondering.

1. It's an X-ray test but they tell you not to get X-rays when you are trying to get pregnant. So how can it not be bad? Won't it fry your eggs? What about all that dye that gets up there? I know it increases your chances of getting preggo and I'm sure it's safe....I just don't see HOW?! Because it seems like the sort of thing that would be bad when you're TTC.

2. What's the best kind of pain meds to take?

3. Can you eat before having the test? They didn't say not to but I know someone who had an HSG done who said she wasn't allowed to.

4. Would the doctor tell me right away if there was something obviously wrong? Would I be able to see it? She said while doing the u/s that there was a chance that either my uterus was tilted left (most likely) or I have a unicorunate uterus (where you are missing a tube and your uterus is half of normal size). The nurse said I should schedule a follow up but I see no reason to do that when I can just ask my doc right there if it looks okay, right? I was also planning on asking her about a post coital test.

July 30th, 2008, 04:21 AM
^JenJen^
When I had my HSG, they did say to eat a very light meal before hand but not much because sometimes cramping can make you nauseous, which is not fun when you have a catheter in your cervix. I suggest taking advil beforehand, at least an hour in advance to allow time for it to work.

You should be able to know instantly what is going on, but you may want to schedule a followup in case something is wrong and you need to talk longer to your doctor about it.

This type of x-ray is low level radiation, from what I understand, adn since it is done early on in the cycle normally it does not hurt the development of the eggs.
July 30th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had mine at 8:00 am and was instructed to eat a light breakfast and take some advil/aleve or something similar. I had ibuprofen in the house, so that's what I took. I followed their instructions thought the hsg was a little uncomfortable, but not painful. I also stayed relaxed through it, which I think helps.

The dye they used is really a clear gel. I don't know what's in it.

I specifically asked to be able to see the screen during my hsg. I figured if I was going through it, I wanted to be able to see what they were doing. I actually thought it was pretty neat to watch. They had me roll to one side so the could get a better view. Honestly, I didn't think the hsg was any worse than a pap, it just took longer.

My doc said it can help you get prego after because it can clear out any mucus plugs that may have been in the way.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Quote:
This type of x-ray is low level radiation, from what I understand, adn since it is done early on in the cycle normally it does not hurt the development of the eggs.[/b]

I'm having it done on CD 11, and I usually O on CD 14. Is that bad?

July 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
Quote:
Quote:
This type of x-ray is low level radiation, from what I understand, adn since it is done early on in the cycle normally it does not hurt the development of the eggs.[/b]

I'm having it done on CD 11, and I usually O on CD 14. Is that bad?
[/b]
You should be fine. It is really only repeated or prolonged exposure to x-rays that can be dangerous. If your Dr is the one doing it they can tell you immediately what they see. I know some people go and someone esle does it like a radiologist at the hospital where you get it done. In that case I think they tell you to follow up with your Dr. My OB calls an HSG "cleaning out the cobwebs!" I Hope you get good news!
July 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. It's an X-ray test but they tell you not to get X-rays when you are trying to get pregnant. So how can it not be bad? Won't it fry your eggs? What about all that dye that gets up there? It is an ultrasound which is safe before & during pgcy so you should be fine. It won't fry any eggs.

2. What's the best kind of pain meds to take? I would take 2-3 Advil depending on how affective they are. For me, I would have to take 3-4.

3. Can you eat before having the test? They didn't tell me not to but to be on the safe side, I would eat light. I got a bit nauseous during the procedure albeit very briefly.

4. Would the doctor tell me right away if there was something obviously wrong? Would I be able to see it? My dr allowed me to watch on the screen & explained what they were doing & looking for. They gave me the results immediately. They may want to do a follow up to discuss what path you need to take to get pg.

I'm always stalking you missy!

July 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Josey's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Josey
When I had mine, my Dr told me to eat a few hours ahead of the appointment, take some aleve, bring a sanitary napkin *which I thanked her for later*, and to try and stay calm and relaxed during the procedure. When I got there, they sat me down and explained in detail what all was going to happen which I was sooo thankful for because I had NO idea what it really was. They had to prop me WAY up on pillows because my uterus is funny and then he explained everything before and while he was doing it. He let me watch the screen so I could see everything. It was really great. It was just like a pap smear only on an Xray table and took a little bit longer...maybe 15 minutes total. I was glad to have had it because both of my fallopian tubes were clogged with mucus. I did have some spotting the rest of the day and very mild cramps for about 4 hours. Good luck!!! I hope this helps you out!!!

Thanks to ~* Helen *~ for my beautiful siggy!
July 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
txjovigal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to txjovigal Send a message via Yahoo to txjovigal
From what I remember from mine, it has to be done by CD 11 due to what they are trying to look at... at least that is what my DR. told me. He gave me Vicadin to take 30 minutes before. Also, the Xray Dr. was talking me thru the procedure so it wasn't so bad a bit uncomfortable but again I was on Vicadin so and then the Xray Dr told me there was nothing to worry about because everything looked good.

I sure you will be fine just remember to take something before you go in.

working on my 3rd, for sure by 11/15/11
July 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, docs usually want to do it by CD11. First because they have to do it before you O. Second because any later than that and your thickening lining can falsely "clog" your tubes on the screen. I was also advised to bring a pad with. I needed it for the first 30 minutes or so after, then I stopped spotting.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Ladies have already given you great answers! I don't have anything to add but wanted to wish you luck!!!

Do not mention on FB
July 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks ladies! I will update you on Monday and let you know how it went.

Quote:
I was glad to have had it because both of my fallopian tubes were clogged with mucus.[/b]
Do you mind me asking, did the HSG clear out the mucus or did you have to have something else done? Do they know what could caused the mucus clogs?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search