Had 2nd IUI this morning

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Everything with the IUI went fine, just as last month!

I'm frustrated, and kind of sad, though, because my RE sat down with us afterwards and gently said he wanted to talk about IVF.

He said he is not happy with how I'm responding to the Clomid, that they had really hoped to see me have more eggs. He's surprised that I have only had 1 each month, even with the 150 mg of Clomid.

We talked about how we just don't know if my egg can even make it down my tube.

He said that he can see me getting frustrated and that I need to not get my hopes up because the IUI doesn't do much in terms of increasing our chances---since sperm count isn't an issue. He said the main reason is to reduce my chance of an ectopic---which I guess I am at greater risk of with my tubal scarring.

So he just said he wants us to start looking into IVF so we can be informed and prepared. He said at this point, he would feel comfortable (if this cycle doesn't work) going on to IVF, but if we want we can still try one more IUI.

if this cycle doesn't work and we decide to do IVF, then the nurse said I need to have bloodwork done on the 3, 4 or 5 day of my cycle. Those results will help determine for the shared risk plan---I'm pretty sure we will be b/c my egg quality has never been an issue. I don't make many of them but the last two IUIs, I have had 1 perfect looking follicle.

I'm just kind of feeling a sense that IVF is inevitable....not that that's a BAD thing, but it's all just very overwhelming. And if we do have to do IVF, then I will have to put it off a bit---we are going to be out of the country for 2 weeks at spring break, and we probably would have to start IVF in April. So that would mean no 2009 baby for me.

I just want to be pregnant now!!!!!!

Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

January 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to put all my hope into you not having to worry about IVF and that you get your IUI miracle this cycle. I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this...

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

January 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ccwantsbfp
I am praying for your BFP too. We can be cycle buddies.
January 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Im sure it was hard to hear that your dr. isn't confident about the IUIs...that stinks!! At least he/she was honest with you about your chances of getting pregnant; I think I'd rather hear the truth than someone trying to give me false hope.

The thought of IVF is definitely overwhelming, but try to focus on each cycle as it comes if you can! You'll be in my thoughts during this 2WW.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why not try an IUI with injectibles? Is that an option he'd consider?

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
January 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Why not try an IUI with injectibles? Is that an option he'd consider?[/b]
I was wondering the exact same thing? It seems to me that you would have a good chance of developing multiple follicles on injectibles. Maybe even just 1 or 2 cycles w/ injectibles before IVF?
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

January 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really sure.

I *think* the multiple egg thing is less of an issue---my tubal scarring is the issue. The multiple eggs would at least give me a shot at having more "targets," with the hopes that at least one will make it through the tube. BUT that is dependant on my left tube being at least somewhat open.

According to the nurse, they do pretty much everything in "threes" and they think that if something is going to work, it will usually work within the first 3 attempts.

I don't know. I probably should call and ask why or why not about injectibles.

Just from talking with him right after my HSG and then again today, I get the impression that he really doesn't think my left tube is very workable. So, in the end, I could have 5 eggs and if my tubal scarring is too much, it wouldn't make a difference.

AUUUGGGHHHH.

I wish I could look into a crystal ball!
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

January 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ccwantsbfp
Well, if time and money is a issue, the IVF may trump the IUI. The inject drugs are very expensive and it would be another cycle of trying to get that BFP, incluiding a sore stomach from the needles. Also, if there is trouble getting through the tube an ectopic may also be a concern. Let us know what you decide. Don't forget that we are in the 2ww together...
January 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Bakin8th's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you get lucky with this IUI and dont need to worry about IVF.

If you do go IVF I pray you have many eggies to retreive and find yourself PG first try!

Ttcing #9 After TWO 2nd trimester loss's and FIVE 1st trimester loss's. Missing our 8 ANGEL'S

IUI W/CLOMID/TRIGGER FEB 12/13 09!

Kyle (absent) Chelsea, Miki, Hanna, Johna, Sari, Jessiah and Isaiah.

THE LORD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY MY HEART WILL CHOOSE TO SAY BLESSED BE HIS WONDERFUL NAME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our 8 Greatly missed Angels
12W, 6W, 6W, 9W 1 twin, 5W
17W twins (sex unkown) and "Elijah"
17W "Angel"
January 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
I'm sorry I missed this! I was away all last week. for what you're going through. Try to take it day by day. And don't feel like IVF is all doom-and-gloom; your chances of getting pregnant with IVF are 50-60%, so it's a great alternative!! I know the cost is intimidating, but you can always find a way to make it work. I do hope that this IUI worked for you and you won't even need to go down that path - but if you do, a lot of us have BTDT and are here for you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search