IUI and timing question...

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is my first cycle doing an IUI. My RE said to wait until I get a + OPK and then come in the next day for the IUI. However, they are closed on Sundays. I'm on CD15 today and usually get a + OPK between CD16 & 18 when I'm on Clomid. My concern is that I will get a +OPK tomorrow (Saturday) and then they'll be closed on Sunday for the IUI. I'm starting the have cramping tonight, like I usually do before O. My OPKs were extremely negative today, which means nothing because I've had them go from a faint line one day to a positive the next day.

Has anyone ever run into the problem of getting a positive OPK on Saturday and needing the IUI done on Sunday and the RE office being closed? Can it be done on that Monday, or is that too late.

I'm planning on calling the office tomorrow to ask (I meant to today, but forgot), but started worrying about it tonight when I started cramping and thought I would ask you ladies. TIA!
January 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are they for sure closed on sundays? the way my clinic works is the office is closed but I call the dr at home or on his cell phone and he calls the lab and so on.
The only time they are truly closed is from christmas eve to around the 4th of January.

January 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's what they said about a week ago when I called to set up my CD10 bloodwork. CD10 fell on a Sunday and they said they are closed on Sunday's, so I had to schedule it for Monday. Also, the paperwork the RE gave me about the IUI had a "weekend schedule" on it. It talked about what to do if I get a +OPK after hours on Friday (coming in on Saturday for the IUI), but said nothing about what to do if I get a +OPK on Saturday.

From what I understand, all appointments for Saturday need to be made before closing time on Friday. If I get a + after hours on Friday, I'm just suppose to show up by 9am on Saturday and they will "work me in". I just hope someone is able to take my call tomorrow.
January 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Angel_Maker
My RE is open 7 days a week....they understand that the female body is gonna do what IT wants to do no matter what day of the week it is Honestly, I would be a bit frustrated if my RE was closed because I feel like we pay them TOO MUCH $$$ for them to not do EVERYTHING within their power to ensure a pregnancy...

GOOD LUCK and hopefully you'll get a + OPK sunday or monday and not have to worry about it
January 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Hope you are able to get your question answered and IUI is timed right for your BFP!! Good Luck!!

Do not mention on FB
January 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, I called this morning to see if there was anyone to talk to, but there was just an answering service. But, according to the answerins service, I can page the on-call doctor, if it's urgent. I think this classifies as urgent, if I get a +OPK today.

And then, an hour later, I got an OPK that is pretty close to being positive, if not positive. So, I'm going to wait another hour or so and test again and see what it looks like and then give the doctor a call. I'm really nervous because I don't want this to be a wasted cycle and I hope I can get in tomorrow for the IUI. I'll update when I know something. Thanks, ladies!
January 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
UPDATE:
Well, the doctor called back, but I didn't get to talk to him because my DH had turned the ringer OFF!!! I'm so mad at DH right now because I had so many questions to ask the doctor.

Anyway, the doc left a message and said that if I'm surging today that I need to call the office Monday morning and schedule a time that day to come in for the IUI. But, won't that be too late????? Should be BD today just incase, or would that mess up the IUI on Monday???? My DH tried to get me to call him back, but I'm not going to call back the answering service and go through that again and have to wait for the doc to call back when I should have answered the phone when he called this first time. AHHHHH!!!! I'm so mad right now.

Question: Should we BD today? Or, would that mess up the IUI? The paperwork I received said for DH not to ejaculate for 2-3 days before the day of IUI. What would you do????
January 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our DR told us to BD the night of my trigger and then the night of our IUI. But we aren't dealing with any MFI... I would think if you are dealing with MFI that you'd want to wait to be safe. But yes, it does seem like that timiing just wouldn't be right to wait until monday... that would be pushing it since the egg is only viable for about 24 hours.

If I were you I would call the DR again... I know it's a pain but like you said, you don't want to waste a whole cycle b/c of bad timing.

Good luck with everything!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

January 17th, 2009, 08:23 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
So...what happened? My doc gave me his cell # in case I get a +OPK on a weekend. He and his nurse do IUIs whenever they need to be done...Sundays, holidays, etc. ALthough, if you got a positive Saturday afternoon, then 36 hours later would be Monday morning, right? That might actually be good timing!

Keep us posted!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
So...what happened? My doc gave me his cell # in case I get a +OPK on a weekend. He and his nurse do IUIs whenever they need to be done...Sundays, holidays, etc. ALthough, if you got a positive Saturday afternoon, then 36 hours later would be Monday morning, right? That might actually be good timing!

Keep us posted![/b]
The office is closed on Sundays and they won't do the IUI on Sundays. The RE called back and said to call the office Monday morning and come in then for the IUI. I hope Monday won't be too late. I'm crossing my fingers!
January 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Our DR told us to BD the night of my trigger and then the night of our IUI. But we aren't dealing with any MFI... I would think if you are dealing with MFI that you'd want to wait to be safe. But yes, it does seem like that timiing just wouldn't be right to wait until monday... that would be pushing it since the egg is only viable for about 24 hours.

If I were you I would call the DR again... I know it's a pain but like you said, you don't want to waste a whole cycle b/c of bad timing.

Good luck with everything![/b]
I know I should have called the doctor back, but I didn't. I was just really frustrated yesterday. But, DH and I did BD that afternoon because I didn't want to be completely out. They said not to BD for 2-3 days before the IUI. Well, if the IUI is Monday, that would be about 48 hours, so figured it was worth a chance.
January 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We have done IUIs 36 hours after BD, and the counts were always excellent, so you should be fine!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I triggered Saturday and went in Monday...but to my knowledge most RE's will go in Sunday if necessary. I think they know there isnt much they can do to control a woman's body. I think dtd was good though - did you trigger? Or did you just use clomid?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
I think you are fine BD'ing yesterday, just like Kari said, it's only an issue if you have MFI. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. On a side note, would you possibly consider seeing another clinic? I'm with Brandi, I'd be a little annoyed with a clinic that isn't open 24/7 - after all the money you pay and everything you go through, it would be really frustrating to not have optimal chances of a BFP because of something as silly as office hours. Not trying to knock your clinic or anything... just something to consider. Also, I'm concerned that they have you monitoring with OPKs alone - usually with IUIs, they will almost always do follie scans and/or bloodwork to be 100% sure that the timing is perfect. Plus, Clomid gives false positives on OPKs, so generally most REs won't let you rely on that for IUI timing purposes.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts. I hope either way it works out for you this month and you won't have to worry about this ever again! Good luck!!

January 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I triggered Saturday and went in Monday...but to my knowledge most RE's will go in Sunday if necessary. I think they know there isnt much they can do to control a woman's body. I think dtd was good though - did you trigger? Or did you just use clomid?[/b]
I just used Clomid this cycle.

Quote:
I think you are fine BD'ing yesterday, just like Kari said, it's only an issue if you have MFI. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. On a side note, would you possibly consider seeing another clinic? I'm with Brandi, I'd be a little annoyed with a clinic that isn't open 24/7 - after all the money you pay and everything you go through, it would be really frustrating to not have optimal chances of a BFP because of something as silly as office hours. Not trying to knock your clinic or anything... just something to consider. Also, I'm concerned that they have you monitoring with OPKs alone - usually with IUIs, they will almost always do follie scans and/or bloodwork to be 100% sure that the timing is perfect. Plus, Clomid gives false positives on OPKs, so generally most REs won't let you rely on that for IUI timing purposes.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts. I hope either way it works out for you this month and you won't have to worry about this ever again! Good luck!![/b]
I'm completely annoyed, too, that they are not open 7 days a week. I thought they were when I started with them. This is my first cycle with a RE and with this clinic, my OB refered me to them. I was completely surprised to find out they are closed on Sundays because it's a really big clinic with 4 doctors, etc. I was also concerned that I wasn't being monitored with ultrasounds, but I posted a question about that about a week ago and many other ladies that have done IUI's haven't been monitored either, so I don't know. I'm going to give it a couple cycles and see how I feel about them because this is my first cycle here. But, if I feel I'm not getting the treatment I need, I will look into another clinic. Thanks for your input, it makes me feel better to talk about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search