Question for those who've done IVF

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
Did you bring your meds to your injectables class? Or did you just learn using the clinic's "props" or samples?

I'm supposed to start my injections Thursday, and I'm looking at the box full of needles, syringes, gauze, biohazard containers, drugs, and alcohol and going *gulp*. I have never injected myself with anything and I'm not excited about starting. I have our injectables class on Tues (just us and the IVF nurse/RE) and I'm wondering if I should bring everything along. I know a lot of drugs come in multiple forms (cartridges versus needles, etc), so I'm worried that we'll learn one thing in our class only to find out that we needed to learn another way. Does that make sense? Also, I'm really worried about the trigger shot - I know we've only got one chance to get it right, and that step seems the most complicated with all the mixing and stuff that has to go on. One misstep and we're screw*d. How did you all survive your first time without freaking out? I know my RE doctor will let us call him at midnight or whenever should we happen to run into a major snafu, but I'm hoping I won't need to do that.

Any thoughts?

January 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Super Mommy
I just did IVF in December (and I'm 8w2d pregnant today ). That big box of meds can certainly be intimidating. I used the samples at the doctor's office rather than bringing my real meds. They should have the same type of meds you will be taking. The nurse will walk you through every shot you will be taking. And you can practice while you are there too. They have these square things that that are supposed to be like your skin that you can practice on. I also brought my DH along with me so that he would hear too in case I missed something.

The shots were not as bad as I thought they were going to be. Some of the needles are really small and don't hurt at all. If you get worried, stay focused on why you are taking the meds. It makes every shot easier.

And the shots should all come with instructions on how to take them. I reviewed those before every shot until I became comfortable taking it on my own.

Good luck and keep us posted!

TTC 3/07
m/c - 7/29/07 (5w4d)
m/c - 10/8/07 (6w4d)
m/c - 2/27/08 (11w5d)
m/c - 6/20/08 (7w2d)
9/08 - IVF w/ PGD: Cycle cancelled, not enough mature follies
10/08 - IVF w/ PGD: Cycle cancelled, ovulated on my own
12/08 - IVF w/ PGD: BFP!
Owen Royce...born August 28, 2009

1/10 IVF w/ PGD: 1 egg fertilized, so no PGD
1/30/10 Transferred in one embryo
2/13/10 - BFP!
Georgia Elle...born October 15, 2010

January 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Super Mommy
Shots were very scary for me. I got really lucky since my neighbor is a nurse at the infertility clinic, for the first few times she would come to my house and help me. Also the nurses at the clinic were very helpful. Don't hesitate to call them if you have any questions. Believe me they won't mind it one bit. As for the class, no we didn't bring the meds with us. Good Luck and keep your chin up you will do fine.

1/26/09-2 Beaufitul Embies Transfered!!
2/5/09-BETA, POSTIVE, 250 @ 10dpt!!
2/18/09-1st U/S, we are expecting Twins!!

January 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can do it! I did 2 cycles of IVF, an IUI w/ injectibles, & the first 9 weeks of my pregnancy on PIO. The first cycle of IVF I let DH do the honors, but I found it to be really inconvenient, so I took over for the 2nd cycle, and let me tell you, it was SO MUCH BETTER. Once you get over the initial fear of sticking yourself for the first time, it is very easy and hurts less than when other people do it. I got scared again when I had to do my first PIO shot in the butt, but again, once I got over the fear, the shot was simple. I never had DH do another one after I did my first -- I had much less pain, fewer welts, less bleeding, no timing stress....it was just better with me doing them.

If you get stuck and can't call the doc, there are videos on YouTube you can reference -- I found the PIO ones really helpful in getting over the fear of doing it myself.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
January 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I didn't bother bringing the meds with me to the class, I just used the props. It's really not that bad - even though is is extremely intimidating at first. Just take it one day at a time and one needle at a time. The nurses are there to explain and re-explain as many times as you need to feel comfortable. Actually giving yourself the needle is hard at first, it took me about a half hour to get the first one done, but after that it was super easy. As soon as you do one and realize it's not that bad and it doesn't hurt that much, you're good to go. You'll do great!

January 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck girl! I can relate on a MUCH smaller level! I had to do my trigger shot at home this cycle b/c of timing issues, and I was SO FREAKED!

DH was with me at my folliscan and I knew he was going to be the one injecting me, so I really tuned it all out and he was very attentive. THe nurse had a sample in the office and showed him how to mix the water solution and powder, how to measure, and inject.

I was soooo nervous but then when he actually did it---girl, it was a piece of cake!

If we do IVF, I am going to suck it up and learn how to do it myself---if he can do it, so can I!

I think it's just getting over that initial shock and fear of the unknown.....you will be fine!

Good luck---I'm getting excited for you!
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

January 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
Thank you ladies for all the support and words of encouragement! I guess I am just so intimidated by how clinical and scary these supplies look! I just can't imagine being able to do this myself. But I will keep my eye on the prize and like you said, take it day by day.

I have my class tomorrow and then start injections on Thurs - I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search