New to IVF and JM

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to heatherslittlesis
Just decided after a year of debate to give IVF a chance! Very excited! MY hubby and I have been trying since september 2006 to concieve with no luck Our situation is a little different and wanted to know if there is anyone out there like us? I have a beautiful 5 year old daughter from a previous relationship. We have no children together. Does anyone have any advice for someone who goes for the re consult in 2 days to get started with IVF?

Very nervous
Missy
January 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Veteran
No real advice other than go. Your RE will talk you through whatever and explain your options. I never thought it would work but apparently after four years and various attempts, I am being kicked soundly by the little feller.
January 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know much about IVF yet but just wanted to say hi. I'm Amanda (28) and DH and I have been ttc for 18 months (2, going on 3 with medical assistance). I hope your consultation goes well and that you are on your way to IVF soon!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

January 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! Your situation sounds similar to mine.

I am 28, my DH is 32 (33 next week, actually!) and we EACH have a child from previous relationships. My daughter is 6 1/2 and so is his son! Like twins!

We have been trying ever since we got married (over a YEAR now, booo) and just did our 2nd round of IUI. We *might* do one more round or we might move on to IVF. Still debating. I have tubal issues.

Good luck! Has IVF been recommended to you already, or is this your first appt. with an RE?

I look forward to getting to know you better.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

January 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Veteran
IVF was recommended before about a year ago. My husband has unexplained infertility. ( low sperm count) He has gone back and forth on wanting to go thru with IVF or not. He has finally agreed. Yeah!!!! He has never had a child of his own before and nearing 30 in november he is getting anxious now. My daughter is completely healthy and I had her "the old fashioned way" as my husband would say! lol! I will know more about dates and all on Wednesday Jan 21. I feel like this is all a foreign language to me!

Missy
January 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
skyj03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to pop in and say hi..so you know my screename. I am so glad I finally got you on here.

January 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Super Mommy
Welcome, this a wonderful group of ladies, you will love it here.

I have a beautiful daughter through IVF, my dh has very low motility and mobility. We have went straight through IVF/ICSI, after unsuccesfully trying for almost 3 years on our own. Our RE told us that with DH's sperm count there is no way we can get pg naturally so he recommended starting IVF. Well the very first cycle worked and we have been blessed with a wonderful daughter.

Good luck at your visit, it can get very overwhelming at times, if it does just jump on here and we will support you all the way thought.

Good Luck.

1/26/09-2 Beaufitul Embies Transfered!!
2/5/09-BETA, POSTIVE, 250 @ 10dpt!!
2/18/09-1st U/S, we are expecting Twins!!

January 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Veteran
The Re told us that we have a less then 5% chance to concieve naturally because of my Dh's sperm count. I am new to the lingo so i still spell everything out. lol. he has a lot less then normal and then most of them are dead. I think that we have a good chance though. I had a healthy beautiful baby girl 5 years ago ( prior to meeting my DH ) and everything was normal with me so lets hope all will go well this time. I am nervous about how many eggs to implant! I want a lot to ensure I get atleast one but then I do not want 6 ya know! How many did you implant if you do not mind me asking?

Thanks for your support
Missy
January 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't worry, you will not get sextuplets with IVF.

Actually, higher order multiples like that are more common with IUI (intrauterine insemination) and fertility drugs. There is less monitoring with fertility drugs, and they can't control how many eggs you release.

With IVF, your doctor can control exactly how many fertilized eggs they put in your uterus. I *think* that most RE's do not want to put in more than 3.

I know my RE told us at our last appt. that he only has 2-3 sets of triplets a year.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

January 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Super Mommy
Missy-we have transfered 2 embryos. Our RE doesn't transfer more than 2 if you are 35 or younger. I am also a firm believer in acupunture and so is my RE, I did 6 sessions prior to the transfer and I am doing the same thing this time around. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

1/26/09-2 Beaufitul Embies Transfered!!
2/5/09-BETA, POSTIVE, 250 @ 10dpt!!
2/18/09-1st U/S, we are expecting Twins!!

January 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
JCT2005's Avatar Teddy's Mom

I don't know much about IVF either but did want to say hi.

January 20th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Welcome and good luck with your IVF journey!

My son is an IVF baby born Jan 08. For all of my IVF cycles (6 in total) we transferred 3 embryos when they were 3 day ones and only 2 when they were 5 day ones. I'm over 35 but even with that, my RE won't transfer more than that.

I'm wondering though why you're going straight to IVF? If there are no issues with you and you're dealing only with sperm issues (not to belittle that problem, just saying it's one issue and not several), then why wouldn't they want to try IUI first? That would probably be one question I'd ask the RE.

Other than that, if it is IVF that you are doing, they will explain in great detail for you everything required. Some questions you may want to ask are what their success rates are, how many embryos they like to transfer, if they prefer 3 day or 5 day transfers. Depending on your work situation, you may want to inquire about hours and when you should expect your appointments to be.

Good luck at the appointment, I hope it goes well!

January 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Veteran
Thanks so much for your tips on questions to ask the doctor. That will help. I know that sperm count seems to a lot of people to be less complicated issues ( I'm relieved to hear that ) but the doctor said that with the amount that he actually has is so low that our chance to concieve with IUI is sooooo low that we opted for IVF for the first time. Good thing is that my health insurance covers the procedure and I did not even know that until 2006. I made good decisions and did not even know it! lol Tomorrow is the appt. Wish me luck! i will get back on tomorrow after the appointment and let you know how it goes!

Missy
January 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Veteran
We have begun the process! I start the BC in Feb. It will be about 8 weeks from that time that we will know if we are pregnant. we also found out today that my DH's issue is Genetics. There is a risk that our son will have the same infertility although sad he to can go thru IVF if we are successful and we can be his inspiration!!!!!! Thanks for all of your advice on what questions to ask very helpful. I love my health Insurance!

Missy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search