How did you meet DH?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Angel_Maker
Tell the story of how you and DH came to be

I'll go first!

DH and I met on the FIRST DAY of SIXTH grade!! That's right, I was 10 years old and he was 11 He was just adorable and I had a HUGE crush on him!

We quickly became "best" friends! We talked on the phone ALL THE TIME, sat together at lunch, etc....in hindsight, it was adorable! In seventh grade, he wrote me a note in science class and asked me to be his girlfriend Of course I said YES! We went to all of our school dances together and were pretty much inseperable We stayed together until the beginning of 9th grade.

High school was a huge adjustment for us...our high school was HUGE, and we never saw each other.... We were stressed to the max and started fighting all the time...we broke up in Sept. of that year.....

We didn't talk anymore after that....until July, when he called me on my birthday, but that was it....He made that a yearly tradition, always called in the middle of the night on July 27th, just to tell me Happy Bday and that he was thinking of me....

I started dating someone else when I was 16 (2 years after David and I broke up)...I loved the guy, but not like I did David. But I was sure that David and I would never be together again....he had gotten in pretty heavy with drugs and dropped out of school....I doubted I would ever see or hear from him again....but he still called every year on my Bday...

When I was 18, I got engaged (on my bday) to the guy I had been dating for two years...David called on my Bday, but I didn't tell him I was engaged....well a few weeks later, he called me....apparently he heard through the "grape vine" that I was engaged and was pretty upset...he called crying, yes CRYING, saying that he always thought we'd get back together.....I thought that was strange, because I heard that he was quite the "player" and had lots of girls chasing after him, and pretty much figured he was playing mind games with me....I basically ignored him, for fear of getting hurt by him again...

2 years passed, David still called on my Bday, but we didn't talk other than that....Well, things were headed south with my Fiance....I had found out he had been cheating on me, yet for some DUMB reason I was trying to make it work......In Sept 2004, 6 years after David and I broke up, he messaged me on AOL, and said he had been thinking about me non stop and wanted to see me....I was infuriated with my Fiance, so figured "what the heck do I have to lose?"

After class that night, I stopped by David's house with intentions of staying an hour or so.....I ended up staying there for about 4 hours.....We talked the ENTIRE time....I realized that I was still madly in love with him, and I broke things off COMPLETELY with my Fiance the NEXT DAY

David and I have been together ever since It's crazy to think that I've known him for 15 years THIS YEAR! WOW!
January 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww...that's a great story

I met my DH while studying abroad in Australia my junior year of college. Just before leaving, I dumped my then boyfriend and made a commitment that I would just have fun and do whatever I wanted while abroad-and I also had it VERY firm in my mind that I would not get serious with anyone I met over there.

So...I'd been there about 2 months when a friend of mine from the States began dating an Aussie guy. One of this guy's friends was my DH (also an Aussie...I was a sucker for the accent). Well-I just thought he was so cute and sauntered right up to him at the on-campus bar. We flirted a little bit but then I went on my way. I saw him the next weekend in Byron Bay-which is a beautiful coastal town on the eastern coast. We spent the whole night together on the beach (talking only) and I just thought he was so amazing. We ended up getting together two nights later at a friend's birthday party.

We were together for about four months before I had to return home to NY. I was DESPERATE to stay longer-but my parents said no (this was just after 911 and they lost money in stocks). Needless to say, I was beyond devastated. I was sure that there was no way that we would work out. For the first time in my life, I was brokenhearted. Even now, over seven years later, when I think of the day that I left, I get a knot in my stomach; it currently ranks as one of the worst days of my life. Dan and I decided that we would try to stick it out and make it work. So, for about six months-we talked three times a day (when I woke up, when he woke up and in the middle of my day)-I won't even tell you how much that cost! Those six months were so so tough-but we grew stronger and stronger. And I felt more sure that it would work out.

He spent that summer with me...and I think that was when my parents started thinking that things might actually work out-they were very skeptical in the beginning. I went back to Australia the following Christmas-and then the following May (2003) he moved out to be with me We decided to stay in the States so I could continue on through graduate school...but we are keeping the option open to move back to Australia. Anyway-we were married in July 2004-and here we are today. All the heartache that we went through to get where we are now was most definitely worth it
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

January 25th, 2009, 11:57 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Aww, that is a cute story. I'm glad that things finally worked out!

DH (Jon) and I went to the same school since I was in Kindergarten and he was in 2nd grade, but I don't remember him until I was in 5th grade. We both competed for our school in the county spelling bee, and we have a picture of us together from that day. We were both nerds

My freshman year of high school I really wanted to get to know him, but we were both pretty shy. My best friend was dating Jon's best friend, so I had my best friend invite us both to her house to do a little movie date. We sat on the couch and held hands, but we were both so nervous I don't think we said a word to each other the whole time! Finally later that summer we went on a real date to the movies, and afterwards sat on my parents' porch and talked for hours. I was pretty sure he was "the one" right from the beginining.

We officially broke up when Jon left for college, but still talked every day, and we were back together by Christmas. For the 2 years that I was in high school and he was in college we only saw each other once a month and in the summer, so we racked up HUGE phone bills. I followed him to the same school, and we got married 2 years later (2001)!

Time flies...this will be our 13th Valentine's Day together

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to heatherslittlesis
Awww I love all the stories,

Unfortunately my story is not as exciting. I was bartending at a local bar when my daughter was very young so that I could stay home during the day. I met the owner one night and he was HOT! I was 18 years old and just looking for fun. We had a one night stand then ended in marriage! We have been going strong and bestfriends ever since. 2 Scorpios trying to make it in this world lol! And they lived happily ever afer.
January 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM
tracyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those are great stories! I could not imagine marrying the boy I loved when I was 10! That would be amazing!

I have a cute story. In 2004, I went on vacation to Mexico with one of my friends. We were both single and planned to have a great time!! The first day we were there, we hung at the pool and just hung out. My DH was there with his family and was sitting near us. During the week, we saw them every day . They all just "happened" to be sitting where we were sitting by the pool! John finally got the nerve to talk to me and we made plans to hang out at night. He lived in Philly and I lived in Boston so I never thought it would would go past that week. We started emailing as soon as we got home and he came to visit me 2 weeks later. Before long, we were traveling back and forth every other week. After 18 months of dating long distance, he moved to MA and we were engaged a year after that. We were married in September 2008.
January 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
DH and I were both in military training. We had been introduced once and then we both got orders to Vegas. So he started calling me about a month before I came her, and when I got here we started dating. It was great.

January 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
Awe! I love everyone's stories! DH (Joe) and I lived in the same dorm in college. Every nite I would be sitting on the front porch smoking when he would come "home" from work. I just thought he was so cute!!! Actually, the FIRST time I saw him (and I had NO CLUE who he was) I had this wierd like flash or vision in my head (and I do NOT have visions) that I was going to marry him....it was STRANGE! It just felt really real! I would say "Hi Little Joe!" and he would smile shyly and say "Hi". Little by little we started talking more than "Hi's". About a month later we officially went on our first date Dec. 1, 1995 and on Dec. 31, 1995 at midnight he gave me a promise ring! That summer when school got out I was DEVASTATED to leave him....he lived an hour south of school and I lived 2 hours north. So after much arguing with his parents he decided to move up to where I lived for the summer! We were living with my sister (my mom had sold our house while I was at school) and her lease was up at the end of the summer and she was moving to a smaller place. We couldn't afford our own place so our only option was for him to move back home and me to move in with my dad. We had both decided not to return to school. Well, about a month after he moved home I found out I was pregnant!!! My parents wigged out and his were totally supportive so I moved down here and we rented the basement apt. from his parents until we could afford our own place. We got married 6 weeks (to the day) after our son was born....and now here we are 12 years later! He is still my very best friend and the love of my life!!!!

January 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH & I went to high school together, although I really didn't know him until I was a sophomore. He was in a punk rock band with some classmates of mine that I knew very well (I actually had a crush on one of his bandmates). We got to know each other through band practices (I was a groupie- remember, I was crushing on his friend- but his friend wasn't crushing back ) Anyway, Jon called me one night to offer me a band T-shirt they were getting made... well I loved their band so of course I wanted one!! We ended up talking that night for like an hour. He knew all about my crush on the other guy, and I knew all about the crush he had on one of my classmates. Well both of us found ourselves complaining night after night (now nightly calls were common) about how those two treated us... no respect! LOL. We ended up going to a school picnic together to an amusement park, and the rest is history... that was in MAY of 1997, but we didn't officially start dating until September of 1997! I was 15, and he was 16 when we met... we were engaged in 2002, and married in 2004... Can't believe we've been together for over 11 years!

Oh, and yes, I STILL have the band t-shirt he sold me!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

January 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great stories of love ladies!

DH (Brian) came into my life when I was finally convinced that I wanted to be single and was happy being single. It was the summer after my Junior year in college and he had moved into the apartment next door to mine at the beginning of June. Well it was just me and one of my roommates for the summer and we were totally set on having fun, partying all the time and completely enjoying ourselves before our last year in school. We ended up having a few parties right away and basically invited the whole building to our apartment, along with some of our other friends that had stayed in town for the summer. There were probably about 20-30 people in our cramped little apartment and on one of the trips back inside after everybody had taken their smoke break I popped my head into the apartment next door because the door was propped open. There was Brian... shooting darts all by his lonesome. Well... I changed that. I wasn't instantly attracted to him but he was tall dark and handsome and I wanted to know more! I wandered in and said Hi... explained that we lived next door and that the apartment he lived in had a lot of memories in it b/c the boys that lived in it the year before had been some of our best friends and we were there all the time. I told him he had a lot to live up to.. and he said he'd try his best! Anyway, he came over and we just hung out all night with my friends. The really funny thing is there was another guy there that was from upstairs that I had just met and was kinda crushing on so I spent most of the night flirting with the other guy

Anyway, that was the beginning of June and the rest of the summer is one big blur of all of us just hanging out, watching movies all night, making dinner together... there were four of us (Me, Brian, my roommate and the guy from upstairs) that just hung out together all the time! One important part of our story from that summer, which will make more sense later was during one of our nightly get-togethers when we were just having a few drinks and playing darts. I had mixed Brian a drink in a glass from my apartment that had a bear logo on it. I was peeling the label on my bottle and he commented to me that I must be s*exually frustrated. I said maybe, maybe not. The he said well that's not fair, I can't peel any labels. SOOOO I told him that if he was able to get the bear off the glass that I would definitely sleep with him because nobody should be THAT frustrated...

Fast-forward two months to August and I came home and found a note from my roommate saying that Brian had stopped by and asked to take her to a movie... I was like... WHAT! It was so obvious, or so I thought that he liked me so this just made me really confused. Then the NEXT WEEK he asks me to a movie... now I was really confused. We went just as friends because I figured he was just being friendly with both of us (Brian still claims this as our first date... but it was in NO WAY official in my book since he had JUST taken my roommate out too...) So my birthday was the 14th of August and he offered to make me dinner and he brought me a gift. It was a stuffed teddy bear that was wrapped around a plain glass cup... and the inside of the hand-made birthday card he had written... If you can get the bear off the glass, I'll sleep with you! It was too cute and an obvious admission to his feelings. We weren't really officially together until the beginning of September, I wasn't sure that he was ready for a serious relationship since he had NEVER had a girlfriend before! Even after we were a couple I took things really slow because I was nervous and didn't really know how he felt or even how I felt. I didn't know if we were just really comfortable with each other after the entire summer being together 24/7. BUT... low-and-behold, about 2 months after we made it official I was telling one of my girlfriends that Brian was THE ONE.. and I was going to marry him someday.

And I kept that bear tied to the glass until later on in our relationship when we were ready to take the plunge and sleep together. It's been an long running joke in our relationship ever since. So we got together Sept 2003, then we moved in together in May 2005, were engaged August 2006, married on August 4th, 2007!

Sorry... that got a lot longer than I thought it would be

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

January 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh and I met through a friend, well I didn't like this guy, but DH did...

I was working at a daycare center in 2002, and this friend was a parent of a child in my class. He was the guy who hit on all the teachers, he was a creep. Anyway, he kept saying "I have a friend give me your number" and I refused. Another teacher gave him my number and he gave it to DH syaing to cal her. DH did and I hung up on him because I was busy with school work. I felt really bad the next day and *69 his number and called him back (after my friend told me not too ). So we talked on the phone a few times and then met up. I swear it was love at first sight! We met up maybe twice and then started dating. Nine months later we moved in together, a year after that we got engaged, two years after that got married!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
January 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM
nelson1229's Avatar Super Mommy
Well all during High School I dated the same person through my sophomore year of college.. which was the year I was leaving to go and study abroad in London for the school year... my boyfriend at the time told me he didnt trust himself while i was gone and we broke up... i was so depressed and upset that i had wasted so long on one person and had given up so much in HIGH SCHOOL to be so serious with someone.. so my friends set me up on a blind date.. with my DH.. needless to say went on our first date exactly one month before i left for LONDON!! So i told him that i was leaving and i wanted him to knwo that it was going to be a time in my life where i wanted to have freedom and do WHAT I WANTED... no restrictions in the STATES.. he understood completely..the day before i left he told me he loved me and that he would wait for me... i knew by this time i was developing HUGE feelings for him!! so i left for the UK and i never thought he was going to be waiting for me when i got back.... during the whole time he called me everything single day.. NO JOKE.. expensive... REALLY expensive!! I got back the following April and shortly afterwards he proposed!!! We had planned to wait and get married the following JUNE BUT i had always wanted a DEC wedding.. so we got married in DEC!! He is a sweetie and has put up with all the crazy fertility things we have had to go through.. so supportive.. knowing that it is not him BUT me that has the problem with having children.. it is really hard to knwo it is me my fault that we dont have kids but he has never thought of it like that.. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!!
January 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We both grew up like 2 blocks from eachother and our parents knew eachother. My parents actually almost bought a house on his street in 1997 but at the last minute someone else offered more or something.

We went to a lot of the same parties but never actually met. We even attended the same schools but just a year apart!.

Every single night while I was pregnant Id walk to the corner store that was in between both of our houses. It was at the same time every night and He used to see me walking while he was on his way to work.
He says he used to see me walking and think how cute I looked all pregnant like that but had no idea who I was.
This picture was taken 6 weeks before we met

That is me taking my daughter for her first walk at 4 days old. The white truck in the background is his truck.

(excuse my under eye bags)

We met when my daughter was 6 weeks old when he was the designated driver for my friend's birthday. My very first time leaving my daughter. He weirded me out at the time because he paid more attention to me than the strippers on stage right in front of him lol.
He got my number from my friend a couple days later and here we are.

January 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM
JCT2005's Avatar Teddy's Mom
Corey and I met in Yahoo Chat room in 2001. We were both making fun of people wanting to "cyber" and just started chatting. He asked for my phone number that day and called me that night. We only lived an hour apart, that weekend (which was 2 days later) he drove down and we met in person. We just clicked and it felt like we'd always known each other. I was 18 at the time and he was 22. We've been together ever since. He moved to the town I lived in in 2003 and we had Teddy and got married in 2005.

January 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ccwantsbfp
This is a great topic!!!

Me and DH met when I lived on the upper east side...after coming home from a long night of partying at the China Club, me and my good friend decided to hop on the train. She was headed uptown but I was getting off in just a few stops. Well after a while I realized that I was not on the east side...I was on the west side. So we departed because I had to get off and somehow make it to the east side. Well, it was like 4am, I was plastered, loss with only a atm card that I refused to use in the area I was in.

Anywho, dh seen me and wondered what the hell I was doing out that early in the morning by myself, so he starts of by saying "your tough" as he walks by(he was on his way home from work and lived on the upper west side). I told him, well I won't curse, but I was no interested in some lame come on or getting mugged. So, he quietly followed me to the the right train to make sure I got home okay. When I realized what he was doing...I decided that I would be nice and the rest is history.
January 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I love love stories!! Great idea for a topic, Brandi!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 26th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Angel_Maker
Thanks for sharing girls This is a great thread!
January 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM
*Mrs.J.2011*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, my story is super boring!

I was at work having a conversation with a female co-worker about a really cute guy on the overnight, but we heard he was pretty stuck on himself so that was the end of the thoughts... Well that night after I got home I had a message on myspace from the cute but conceded guy. He was telling me how beautiful I looked that day.. I was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans.. yeah ok buddy! lol well we got to talking and talked for about 6 hours or so on the computer. We agreed that it would be awkward at work if we started talking more than we did before (which was never) and we didnt want upper management to say anything. After about a week, we started hanging out more outside of work. Strangely about 2 weeks after we became a couple, some events took place, that made him more dependent upon me. I was very skeptical, but stuck with him. Things got better over time, and then a similar set of events happened again about 4 months later. According to him, most people he knew walked the other way and gave up on him. I stuck around and told him we would get through it together.. that night he told me he loved me (which he says that he had never said before to anyone) and I was hooked.. here we are 2 1/2 years into the relationship and we have never been stronger! We figure most people wont go through in 50 years of marriage what we have gone through in 2 1/2 years of dating so we are pretty confident on our future!

Missing our little "Duckie" since 06-22-09
January 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
LittleLady19's Avatar Laci
Send a message via MSN to LittleLady19
Me and DH met my senior year of h.s. I had just started a new school and was seeing someone else but that wasn't working out (he was an alcoholic). So I left him about a week before I met DH. Anyways....me and my friend were hanging out at lunch and we had this little area where we could smoke (an alternative school). Well we were hanging out back there and DH was back with one of his friends. My friend dared me to go take DH's hat (lol soo elem. school I know) but I did it and I wore his hat the rest of the day and gave it back when we got out later that day. Well about a week went by and we were writing notes to each other in homeroom (one of the notes he said I was hot in his hat lol). About after a week me, my sis and one of our friends went over to hang out at his house. Well by the time we were getting ready to leave (before I came over I wrote a note saying "will you go out with me? call me in a hour and let me know your answer) sooo we left and i left the note on his bedstand. So here I am waiting by the phone (which he never did call lol) so the next day at school he said yes. lol and here we are almost 5 years later

January 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to kelliebelle
I met my DH on the internet. We were on a dating site and I saw his picture and thought he was a cutie. But he never seemed to be online and I thought he was playing hard to get. Turned out he worked 3rd shift and our schedules were the complete opposite. We chatted online for about a week and then decided to meet for dinner. We had a nice dinner and kissed goodbye in the parking lot. We dated for 4 years and after he got over his commitment phobia we got married at my parents house. The $35 I spent for the internet site was the best investment I've ever made.

January 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
Get ready for the coolest story ever.... hehehe

This is a long story so I will try to give the condensed version...

I just broke up with a bf of 2 years, I was 17 1/2 DH was 19. We saw eachother at a Christian concert at the fair, jars of clay, in Oregon (where I lived) He was from washington, but was visiting his best friend who was about to get married. They were trying to hook him up with this one girl, but he couldn't take his eyes off the beautiful "red headed girl" sitting in front of him.
I turned around and noticed him, then said to my friend, "look at that grey shirted boy, isn't he cute??" I then saw a friend from highschool sit next to him, and took that opportunity to talk to him, in hopes of actually talking to the grey shirted boy. It never happened but i DID get the chance to smile at him, he smiled back.
Through the concert I heard him singing behind me (beautiful voice) then saw him praying, which melted my heart because I could see that he loved the Lord like I did...
His guy friends were apparently hounding on him for staring at me so much, but I was none the wiser. He got up the courage to talk to me.... but it never happened. We walked silently next to eachother, both very aware of one another.... we both chickened out and went our separate way. One year passed. I never heard from him, but I always teased with my girlfriend that "the grey shirted boy" was supposed to be my husband and i had lost my chance. While I was semi jokingly *pining* for him, in Washington his parents were getting SO sick of hearing about the "red headed girl, and how he had blown his chance with her. He prayed and prayed God would somehow give him another chance...
Well, God is funny, and I met up with my friend who had sat next to him at the concert... he told me that the grey shirted boy thought i was beautiful and wanted to meet me. I freaked out!!!!! I couldnt believe he knew who i was!! Then i realized it was a year ago, he probably didnt even remember me, or was with someone else now... Well the friend grabbed his phone and called grey shirted boy, who was now known as "brian" we talked on the phone exchanged e-mails, then wrote everyday for about 4 months. We finally decided to meet again, When I finally got to see him again in person and touch him, I knew he was the one... we were married 6 months later and are even happier than ever!!! I have the most AMAZING HUSBAND!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search