MTHFR?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found out that I have this mutation on top of the APS, but didn't find out whether it's hetero, compound hetero or homo, I left a message for the RE's office to call me with that info.

I've been taking 2,000mcg folic acid since cd1 this cycle along with a baby aspirin, 100mg B6 and a prenatal. But most research I've found online says I should also be taking additional B12...

Does anyone have any info on this for me?

TIA!

ETA - I talked to the RE's office and I have the C677T gene mutation which is the homozygous one

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

January 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have MTHFR and from what I have known about it, there are varying degrees of it and I have the least problematic of the mutations on my gene. I take 2 folic acid pills each morning, on top of my prenatal and also take a baby aspirin a day. It has not given me any problems. I did have a miscarriage several years ago and at first MTHFR was to blame, but after seeking fertility treatments, I have learned that I have crappy eggs and that is why I m/c.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
January 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Thank you! In the last 6 months I've had a loss at 20 weeks and 2 early miscarriages. Bloodwork has also shown APS so we're just trying to figure everything out!

January 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Fpena128
Quote:
I found out that I have this mutation on top of the APS, but didn't find out whether it's hetero, compound hetero or homo, I left a message for the RE's office to call me with that info.

I've been taking 2,000mcg folic acid since cd1 this cycle along with a baby aspirin, 100mg B6 and a prenatal. But most research I've found online says I should also be taking additional B12...

Does anyone have any info on this for me?

TIA![/b]
Hi. I have MTHFR and when ever I get pg I have to go on a blood thinner called Lovenox.
January 28th, 2009, 02:18 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
For those of us that are completely confused...what is MTHFR?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I have the homozygous mutation of the gene

What is MTHFR?
Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) is the name of a gene that produces an enzyme, also called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. If a person carries the genetic mutation that inhibits production of this enzyme, it can result in hyperhomocytenemia, which is an elevated level of an enzyme called homocysteine found in blood plasma.

When the body is deficient in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, its ability to absorb folate (also known as vitamin B9), such as folic acid, is inhibited. Folic acid and B9 are both essential to the development and health of the fetus.

MTHFR and Pregnancy
Because of a mother with MTHFR’s inability to efficiently metabolize folic acid and vitamin B9, the disorder has been linked to a variety of pregnancy complications such as chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down syndrome, and congenital malformations.

Elevated levels of homocysteine have been associated with placental disease, preeclampsia and recurrent pregnancy loss. 21% of women with high levels of homocysteine experience recurrent pregnancy loss.

January 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You learn something new every day... I'm sorry you ladies have to go through all of this!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

January 29th, 2009, 04:54 AM
frogftsh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to frogftsh Send a message via Yahoo to frogftsh
I have one copy of MTHFR, my RE has me on a baby aspirin each evening to assist with that. I'm also on prescription prenatals, as well as 1mg of Folic acid per day additional to what's in the prenatals, and what I get from diet. I'm not sure what the protocol would be if you have both copies of it. GOOD LUCK!

February 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
Just lurking here...
I am hetero for MTHFR and after 3 losses with no treatment I am now 11wks pg. I am on Lovenox 30 mg Daily and I am taking Folgard along with my prenatals and baby aspirin. I started the lovenox at 3 DPO...my RE wanted me on it before implantation. I took the Folgard throughout the whole cycle. Folgard is OTC (kind of hard to find though...I only can find it at Walgreens) and it contains Folic Acid, B6 and B12. MTHFR mutations are not direct clotting factors (which makes it controversial as to whether there is really a link to recurrent loss or not) but it causes an increase in homocystine levels which is a clotting factor. It also inhibits your ability to break down folic acid, b6 and b12 so taking extra should help. I am not sure if the treatment is the same for homo MTHFR though. Good luck.
February 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
What did you have to do to get the Lovenox prescribed following O? I've been told I have to wait until there is a verifiable heartbeat before they'll start Lovenox.

I have the APS on top of the MTHFR too

February 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Well, after a not-so-good RE appointment today, I bought a book on the way home entitled "Is Your Body Baby-Friendly?" by Dr. Alan E. Beer, M.D. Turns out is has quite a bit of info about APS and MTHFR...maybe a repeat of what you already know, but you might want to check it out!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search