Octuplets by IVF?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Belalith's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies! For those that don't know or remember me, I am a TTCMA Clomid grad. I was reading up on the OCtuplets today, and it sure does sound like IVF, the way several sources have reported it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/30/mothe...lets/index.html

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it kind of like 3 is the upper limit with transfer? I have NEVER heard of anything more than 3 for a transfer. It sounds like either grandma doesn't understand the physics behind the specific fertility treatment, OR a doctor that went waaaaaay out of his/her way to get a medical miracle.

What do you guys think?

January 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That does sound like ivf to me...which is weird because I thought doctors weren't supposed to transfer that many embryo's???!!!!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

January 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Belalith's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
According to the guidlines for Reproductive Science, no mother under the age of 35 is supposed to receive more than 2, but I believe we have some ladies on here who had 3. Astrid? You aren't 35 are you?

January 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
amberrose22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to amberrose22 Send a message via Yahoo to amberrose22
Hmmm I read a different article earlier this week that lead me to specifically believe she was only on fertility meds and she just ovulated that many eggs and all took. I'll see if I can find anything more... this kind of stuff interests me!
January 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can have more than 3 transferred. I know a woman who had 4 blast transferred..
I had 3 embryo's transferred during my last IVF (i was 23 at the time) because of the quality of the embies and the fact that I had a failed previous cycle. so it is possible...but i thought she was just on fertility drugs as well..

January 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
I was WONDERING how long it would be before this came up on the boards! LOL!

I was thinking from what I read she was just taking meds too..... Hopefully when she finally comes forward it will all be cleared up.

But IF these babies were the result of IVF.....isn't it possible that the eggs split?? Maybe 4 were transferred and all 4 split? 4 sets of identical twins?? I don't know much about IVF so maybe I am totally off???

January 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Ok here's an article and a good news clip... From what I gathered, no body really knows EXACTLY how she conceived. I got that she showed up at this place already 3 months pregnant and they decided to treat and care for her. They are saying she is a single mom of already 6 young children and lives with her parents in a 2-3 bedroom home.

WOWZA!

Octuplets
January 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Okay, I know I'm going to sound like a total hypocrite after saying on the other thread that I don't get angry when other people get pregnant, but this kind of ticks me off. A single mother (by choice, apparantely) with 14 kids and no way to financially support them? How in the world will she ever give that many young kids the attention and care they deserve? This just seems totally insane to me. Did she even consider the kind of life that these kids would have? Who paid for that IVF...I know it will be a financial struggle if we have to go through that, and this woman doesn't have a job! I know that clock-ticking-I really-need-to-be-a-mother feeling, but I don't think I would let that cloud my judgement to the point that I had more kids than I could possibly care for. How is it fair that one person gets 14 kids while I get none?

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood, it's the 2WW, and I need to eat...I'll climb off my soapbox now.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ccwantsbfp
That's crazy...me and dh wanted to push for three transferred back in...and they preety much said "hell no." It definetly sounds fishy and I wonder what type of person would put themselves or the babies at risk??? Maybe it was 3 back in with two splitting and then one splitting three...let me stop!!!
January 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
JCT2005's Avatar Teddy's Mom
Wow that's crazy. Maybe she is aiming for her own reality show? I'm just wondering if she did have IVF how did she pay for it...

January 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I almost wonder if she somehow got ahold of some hardcore fertility drugs (maybe more than one) and purposely did this to herself. The article I posted mentions a "known" sperm donor...

Seems very very fishy to me. I hope she comes out with her story... but who knows if it will be the truth!
January 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
~Ivy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The whole thing sounds rather fishy. Dad has come out saying that he is putting his daughter and all her kids in a much bigger house and said, "You'll never find that house." What?! I've also heard that the mom of the all these kids worked at a fertility clinic....i wonder if she's some sort of experiment. Ick. The whole thing feels wrong to me.

My Blog

January 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agree... it's fishy. No reputable doctor would purposely make this happen through IVF. I can sort of see this happening with IUI, but definitely not IVF.

Like others have said, the <3 embryo guideline for women under 35 is just that...a guideline. Doctors are free to make their own decisions based on each individual case. For my 2nd IVF, I had 3 embryos transferred, because of how IVF #1 had turned out - none of those embryos stuck.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
January 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Assuming that this is IVF, and I have read several reports that this is the case, there has to be a doctor that facilitated this outcome. It blows my mind that a doctor would risk his/her medical license and reputation, not to mention the health of this mother and these 8 children.

It is easy to watch Jon and Kate + 8 and think it would be wonderful to have a whole busload of kids, but the sad fact is that they were super lucky to have such a good outcome. There is a reason that God doesn't let us all have 8 kids at a time...our bodies are not built to handle that!!!

Melissa & DH

January 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
So....birthmom's father is native Iraqi.....I'm thinking her transfer was NOT done in the states.

January 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was really convinced since we don't really know the whole story that this was IUI... but I guess who knows. And like everyone else said, even if she comes out with a story, it might be just that, a STORY! Personally, I hope she does come forward and straighten this all out. It kinda sucks when stuff like this happens because it really makes people who know that I'm going through MA question me. I've already had people say to me... Bet that's what you're hoping for Kari!

I'm hoping to start my family, that doesn't mean I want to risk 8 little babies lives to do so! It just makes people look twice at people who are seeking MA to have the baby they so desperately want!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

January 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Good point, Kari! I have had people look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them we are starting fertility drugs next month...people get the mistaken impression that Clomid results in 6 or 8 babies all the time. I hate having to explain that there are plenty of precautions to take to prevent that, and that statistically these situations are pretty rare...they just get tons of publicity.

IVF not done in the US...hadn't thought about that, but that would certainly explain things.

Just think...some guy has FOURTEEN kids that he doesn't even know about. My mind cannot even comprehend that.

Melissa & DH

January 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This story saddens me-I have a hard enough time providing a WONDERFUL life to one child, I don't know how I could do that with fourteen?
January 30th, 2009, 09:33 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what I've read, the IVF was done in Mexico

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

January 30th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Bakin8th's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been keeping quiet about all this

As I am a MOM to 8 kids already with 1 clomid baby and currently doing IUI with clomid and trigger . Injects are planned next cycle if this does not work. My Dr will NOT allow a cycle to move forward if there is a chance of higher order multiples and neither would we.

I really think that if one has the money and the ability to financially/ emotionally support a large family and do fertility treatments when INFERTILITY is truly a issue. What a wonderful time we live in!

I do have strong opinions on going out with the intention to have a litter of kids with out the ability to pay and properly care for the litter of kids is..very very selfish and abusive in my books.

It not fair to all the other familes paying taxes to have support the litter of kids because of stupidity and disregard for childrens future to fill one's need to breed.

I live in Canada so here a single mom with 14 kids should collect about:::::

Family allowance. Payable monthly to LOW income familes.

Per 1 child is $250.00

BC bonus is for LOW income familes from the Province of BC Monthly.
$50.00

Universal child day care allowance provided to ALL Low income families with kids uner 6 regaurdless if YOU work or not.

$100.00 per child under 6 yrs old. You pay taxes on that amount ONLY

$100.00 per child universal bonus under 6yes X12 .......$1,200
$50.00 per child BC bonus is X14 ...............................$700.00
$250.00 per child x14............................................... ...$3,500

===================================$5,400 per month TAX free cash!
Don't forgert FREE medical for everyone.

Bet they will move here now!

*Shakes head* Makes me sick to be supporting such iresponsibilty. We have our fair share freeloader's here too. It only takes one dysfuctional large family to make the rest of all look bad..sigh.

ETA: This story makes familes like us who have medically proven infertilty for many years look bad and that is fusterateing to be judged. Thanks to this awful situation.

Ttcing #9 After TWO 2nd trimester loss's and FIVE 1st trimester loss's. Missing our 8 ANGEL'S

IUI W/CLOMID/TRIGGER FEB 12/13 09!

Kyle (absent) Chelsea, Miki, Hanna, Johna, Sari, Jessiah and Isaiah.

THE LORD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY MY HEART WILL CHOOSE TO SAY BLESSED BE HIS WONDERFUL NAME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our 8 Greatly missed Angels
12W, 6W, 6W, 9W 1 twin, 5W
17W twins (sex unkown) and "Elijah"
17W "Angel"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search