Back from the RE

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
So I had my RE appointment today. The purpose of the appointment was to check on my healing after the lap I had earlier in the month, and also to plan for this cycle. In December we flunked our post-coital test, so the treatment plan was supposed to be Clomid + trigger + IUI for 3-4 cycles. I expected to stroll in this morning, pick up my prescription for Clomid, and be on my way. I had already generated positive thoughts about this next cycle, and thought that I was over the BFN funk that struck me this weekend.

Last appointment, the RE had mentioned doing another SA on DH, but didn't act like it was a big deal. I thought it was a repeat of the last one he did because on the last one his motility was a smidge lower than optimal. He has been taking vitamins (thanks, Juli!), and I thought he wanted to check for improvement. Boy was I wrong. As it turns out, the RE is concerned that DH might have some kind of antibody on his sperm that prevents it from swimming and fertilizing my eggs. If that is the case, our only options are donor sperm or IVF w/ ICSI.

When he said that, I completely panicked. I thought he had already determined that it was my cervical mucus that was the problem, and that we could easily skirt around that problem by doing the IUIs! I didn't realize that this huge test loomed over us, and since I wasn't expecting that kind of news, I was sobbing by the time I got to the car afterwards. It just seems like every time I start to feel positive again, something like this comes up that just crushes me again.

I called DH on my way home (after I regained my composure enough to speak), and now he's all stressed out about it, too. I guess now all we can do is sit around until we get the test results next week...and until then I will just be completely terrified. If we have to do IVF, we'll have to wait a while...last time I checked the couch cushions we didn't have $15k lying around.

I think I'm going to probably spend the rest of the day Googling this stuff to see what I can find out, and then I'm going to take a hot bath before I have a complete nervous breakdown. Oh, and to make things even better, AF still hasn't shown up. Good grief, if I'm not pregnant, just come on and get it over with!!!

Thanks for listening, ladies, and if anyone knows anything about sperm antibodies, please let me know. I'm starting at square one with this stuff!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh no! I hope that he doesn't have that antibody!!! It's so difficult dealing with all the twists and turns of ttc. KUP...I'm praying for you guys....
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

February 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
Oh, Melissa - I'm so sorry! I know that feeling of getting bad news after bad news after bad news. And to hear the words "donor sperm" or "IVF" for the first time, particularly when you're not expecting it - it will knock the wind right out of you.

I would think if DH had the antibodies you would have known with the first SA - particulary if the sperm aren't moving at all. That's not something any doctor would just blow off to a bad sample - they would have said something right away and recommended a second sample asap. I think since you've had previous SAs that came back normal (or at least borderline normal), there's a really good chance your doctor's suspicion is wrong. Do you have the lab results from the first SA? There should be a line that tells you what the motility was and that might help bring peace of mind while you wait for the retest.

I will be hoping and praying for you!

February 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ccwantsbfp
So sorry to hear this. The good thing is that you are getting some answers in order to not waste time, money or see more BFN's...I will keep you in my T&P!!!

Quote:
Oh, Melissa - I'm so sorry! I know that feeling of getting bad news after bad news after bad news. And to hear the words "donor sperm" or "IVF" for the first time, particularly when you're not expecting it - it will knock the wind right out of you.

I would think if DH had the antibodies you would have known with the first SA - particulary if the sperm aren't moving at all. That's not something any doctor would just blow off to a bad sample - they would have said something right away and recommended a second sample asap. I think since you've had previous SAs that came back normal (or at least borderline normal), there's a really good chance your doctor's suspicion is wrong. Do you have the lab results from the first SA? There should be a line that tells you what the motility was and that might help bring peace of mind while you wait for the retest.

I will be hoping and praying for you! [/b]
Hey, I think we were posting at the same time...I totally agree!!! SA are very fical...
February 2nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Oh, Melissa - I'm so sorry! I know that feeling of getting bad news after bad news after bad news. And to hear the words "donor sperm" or "IVF" for the first time, particularly when you're not expecting it - it will knock the wind right out of you. [/b]
Aww, your post made me cry, because I know you truly understand. It felt like the air was sucked out of the room and I couldn't even breathe.

DH's first 2 SAs (one with the local doc and one with the RE) were great. He has a gazillion swimmers (don't remember the exact number), and his motility last time was 45%. The RE said he'd like to see 50% motility, so we were close. They were swimming forward and looked like happy little sperm to me!

When we did the post-coital test, that is when we noticed a problem. On a slide where the RE said there should be 5-10 forward-swimming sperm, most of them were dead, and some of them were swimming, but they looked like they were drunk...swimming in circles or wiggling but not going forward. Are you saying that if his sperm were the problem, the RE would have noticed in the first SA?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((HUGS)) I'm sorry your appt wasn't better

Lucky mother to five!

February 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
I don't know that much about antibodies, but I would think anything that consistently hampers sperm motility would be noticed in an SA. If your DH's SAs are coming back normal but the sperm don't look like they're functioning in the post-coital, it definitely seems like the issue might be from the sperm's interaction with your CM. In which case I would think you could easily solve that problem with an IUI. I wouldn't worry about it for now (easier said than done, I know) - just keep reminding yourself that your DH had GREAT SA results before and any major issue likely would have been caught in a previous test. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!!

February 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to send more hugs your way and let you know you're not alone! Bad days seem to be piling up around here...

I'll be thinking about you and I really hope that you're RE hunch is just that and nothing to worry about!!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the results come back that he does NOT have that antibody thing and you can just pretend like you never had to have this freak out and move right on to your next IUI!

February 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Angel_Maker
I HATE when appts. don't go as planned It's such a bummer to have your mind made up and to be feeling positive about everything and then it seems to fall apart...

I know I was really upset when my FET got cancelled, so I can imagine that you are equally upset. Just hang in there and pray for the best. Unfortunataly there's not much else that can be done
February 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
JCT2005's Avatar Teddy's Mom

I'm sorry it didn't go as planned.

February 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to heatherslittlesis
I am so sorry that bad news came your way, hopefully that news was the dark before the dawn!
February 4th, 2009, 12:24 AM
EricsMom's Avatar SuperMommy!
HUGS. Sorry you're having such a rough time. Hopefully the news isn't as bad as you expect when it comes back. KUP

TTCMA Again (after a 4 year break of NTNP, 8 yrs total TTC'ing #2)
Cycle #1 - July/Aug 2013 - BFN
5mg Femara CD3 - 7, Trigger CD25, CD32 Prog. 26.1, 10/11 Day LP
Cycle #2 - Aug/Sep 2013 - a bust ... no "O" ... waiting for injectibles protocol

Me (38) Annovulatory, PCOS, IR and Type 2 Diabetes, DH (44), DS (8)

"Learning to have faith, think positively, believe in myself and trust in God."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search