Triplets Are Now Twins

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yesterday was our first appointment with the perinatologist, and we found out that we lost one of our triplets. Apparently it's a very common occurrence early in multiple pregnancies -- it's called Vanishing Twin Syndrome. We could still see the third sac, but the baby was much smaller and no longer well-formed. We probably lost it around 9 weeks, because it was doing well at my 8 week ultrasound.

DH & I were sad when we first found out, but ultimately, this is for the best, and really a blessing in disguise. It feels like a huge weight had been lifted from us. The pregnancy is much less risky now, and I'll be able to carry the babies much longer -- less risks for them (will probably be born full term at 37 weeks), less risks for me (lower chance of pre-e, ability to exercise more, less bedrest), fewer worries for DH (his biggest fear with the triplet pregnancy was losing all four of us ). Add to that the "material" factors -- we won't need to buy a new car, hire a nanny, etc, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, we are definitely disappointed, but we really see God's hand in this situation. The other two munchkins are doing great and are measuring a day or two ahead, so we were very happy about that.

In other news....I may now be able to deliver vaginally. This group has the best twin vag delivery rate in the city. If the bottom baby is head down (regardless of top baby), my doctor prefers a natural delivery, unless the mother is against it.

I've now gained a whopping 17 pounds (the result of no morning sickness and constant extreme hunger!), but apparently that's a good thing! I met with a nutritionist and they recommend that twin moms gain 25 pounds by 20 weeks, by eating 3500 calories a day (for triplets it's 35 pounds by 20 weeks with 4000-4500 calories a day). The reason for the huge calorie intake, is because you reach full-term size much earlier, meaning that your food consumption is greatly reduced. They are wanting you to pack on the pounds early in the pregnancy, because it will be much more difficult to do so later, when the babies actually need it.

So, all in all, it was a big day yesterday -- bittersweet, for sure, but this really is going to be a positive thing for us.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
February 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Katie, I'm sorry to hear about your loss...I'm sure that was a tough thing to hear. It does sound, though, like you have definitely found the silver lining. I'm so glad that the other 2 babies are growing strong and healthy, and I'll definitely keep you and them in my T & P. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Angel_Maker
Hunnie, I'm so sorry, but I'm glad you are able to recognize God's work in this situation.

He works in mysterious ways, however, nothing He does is without purpose (trust me, I must tell myself this EVERYDAY, just to make it through)

I will continue to pray for your family and hope that your remaining months of pregnancy prove uneventful
February 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
JCT2005's Avatar Teddy's Mom
I'm sorry you lost one of the triplets but I'm very happy the other two are doing great.

February 4th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be hard to deal with, even though it will be less risky for you and for the other two beans. I'm praying that your twins continue to grow and thrive and are snuggled in for 9+ months! KUP!!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

February 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm really sorry about your loss, but I'm really glad you are all doing well and that your other two babies are healthy and growing! I'm hoping you have a very uneventful 7 or so months! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date!!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Super Mommy
I am so sorry for your loss I am so happy to hear twins are doing great.

1/26/09-2 Beaufitul Embies Transfered!!
2/5/09-BETA, POSTIVE, 250 @ 10dpt!!
2/18/09-1st U/S, we are expecting Twins!!

February 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
I am sorry for your loss.....but I am glad to hear the other two are doing good!

February 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
I am sorry to hear about your loss- but your perspective on the situation seems very healthy. I'm glad you will be able to enjoy a lower risk pregnancy now. You and your little ones are in my T&P...

February 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the 3rd baby, but your attitude is great and I'm glad you are able to see the silver lining! GL!

February 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Veteran
Sorry to hear about your loss. you have the right attitude and a good perspective o nthe situation. I completely agree< God always has a reason for everything, whether we understand his reasoning at the time or not. You are in my thoughts and prayers for H&H 9 months!!! Melanie
February 5th, 2009, 08:41 AM
tracyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with the other ladies. You have such a great attitude about the entire situation and the good certainly outweighs the bad.
February 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
~Ivy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry for your loss! But I'm also glad that you are so optimistic! I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful and you get big with babies soon!!!

My Blog

February 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to heatherslittlesis
I am so sorry for your loss. I can not even begin to start to understand. I will keep you and your whole family in my thoughts and prayers. You seem to hav ethe right attitude.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search