Follie Check #1 (for IVF)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
So, I just had my first ultrasound this morning since starting Follistim on Saturday. My RE seemed pretty disappointed in my progress after 4 days of stimming I only had 8-10 follies and they were nowhere near mature. My RE said they're not even at the point where he can tell if they will continue to mature. I believe my lining was still pretty thin too. So, of course, now I'm worried that I'm a poor responder to the Follistim. Does anyone know what is normal to expect after 4 days of stimming? I am 30 years old, 5 feet tall/100 pounds, and on a pretty high dosage (300 IUs/day). I've only been on 5 units of Lupron since I started stimming as well.

I don't have my estradiol levels back yet, so I can't tell how I'm progressing from my bloodwork. My RE hasn't increased my dosage, just scheduled me for another ultrasound and blood test on Sat.

I was worried the Follistim wasn't getting deep enough in my system so tonight I switched to the large pen needles that came with the AQ cartridges. They're 2 times as long as the "baby" needles my RE ordered for me. It hurt a lot more but I didn't know if it might help to inject the drug deeper into my stomach. Although if I'm a poor responder I don't know if any of that will make a difference...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

February 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know much about follistim and, seeing how I'm brand new to injectables, I don't know what is expected. I hope those follies keep growing and growing. I know how disappointing a crappy u/s can be. I think that you, me and Melissa should start a thread just to commiserate about our u/s and follie size

Seriously though-I hope your next u/s goes better...Keep us updated

Edited to add...I'm going in for my next u/s on Saturday too...I hope we both get great news!!!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

February 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
tracyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about size of follies. I hope you get better news on Saturday! Sorry!
February 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just sneaking in for a second, I know this may sound like a dumb question, but are you keeping the Follistim refrigerated?

When I did my FET this time around I used Follistim (I had used Gonal-F before) and after 5 days of 75units of sub-Q injections I had several follies measuring 9, 16, and 19.

February 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Yes, the Follistim has been in the fridge since the day we got it. I've been doing 300iu of sub-q shots since Saturday. My RE said he definitely expected more after 4 days of stimming on that dosage

February 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh ouch, I didn't realize your dosage was so high. That sucks hon. I do think there is still plenty of potential with that number of follicles, though.... right now you just want them to keep growing.

About the needles... I do think the sub-q should be going in the fatty tissue... the small needles you have should be doing just fine. If you use the wrong needles I think you might be going in too far... I don't know if that could affect it or not? You might want to check with the nurses about that one.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 5th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wish I could help Juli but I don't know anything about Follistim. I just wanted to send some hugs and also some follie dust!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
bcowley's Avatar Veteran
Hey Juli
Just wanted to share my story with you because I don't want you to give up hope. My first round of IVF was transfered to an iui because I too was not producing enough follies.My meds were Lupron before starting stims and then gonal-f once a day and since I wasn't producing the follies they increased me upto 375u. I had 4 follies in total and 3 that were a good size (sorry I don't remember specific measurements). After 4 failed iui I actually got pregnant that cycle. I got pregnant even with my husband having a very low morphology issue. I lost the baby at 11w but it had nothing to do with the treatment.
When I started my second round of ivf the doctor switched things around. First off no Lupron. He said sometimes patients get too suppresed on the lupron and doesn't let the body produce the follies. Started right off with the gonal-f this time twice a day on a higher dose. My doctor thinks that sometimes doing the injectables 2x a day insetead of just once actually helps the body respond. I believe I had a total of maybe 10 eggs. Out of the 10 only 4 were of good size and 3 fertilized. All we got were 3 embies, I had nothing left over to freeze. I put back all 3 and now I'm 10 w pregnant. The odds were always against me but we still did it. So don't give up hope.

February 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Veteran
Quote:
So, I just had my first ultrasound this morning since starting Follistim on Saturday. My RE seemed pretty disappointed in my progress after 4 days of stimming I only had 8-10 follies and they were nowhere near mature. My RE said they're not even at the point where he can tell if they will continue to mature. I believe my lining was still pretty thin too. So, of course, now I'm worried that I'm a poor responder to the Follistim. Does anyone know what is normal to expect after 4 days of stimming? I am 30 years old, 5 feet tall/100 pounds, and on a pretty high dosage (300 IUs/day). I've only been on 5 units of Lupron since I started stimming as well.

I don't have my estradiol levels back yet, so I can't tell how I'm progressing from my bloodwork. My RE hasn't increased my dosage, just scheduled me for another ultrasound and blood test on Sat.

I was worried the Follistim wasn't getting deep enough in my system so tonight I switched to the large pen needles that came with the AQ cartridges. They're 2 times as long as the "baby" needles my RE ordered for me. It hurt a lot more but I didn't know if it might help to inject the drug deeper into my stomach. Although if I'm a poor responder I don't know if any of that will make a difference...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! TIA.[/b]

I'm sorry, I will be starting follistem in May, so i can't relate to you at this time, wish I could!!! Tryto stay positive, you can still progress. Sending some follie dust your way!!
February 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to let you know that I have experience with this too. I was diagnosed as Premature Ovarian Failure and I'm only 31, was in my late 20's when I got that diagnosis. It basically means I have poor quality and quantity of eggs for my age. There is really nothing they can do about that and it is a very frustrating diagnosis. My high FSH test showed that this was my diagnosis. Is this your diagnosis too? Anyway, after failed IUI attempts, we moved to in vitro this past spring with my own eggs. I was a poor responder too, I think I had 6 follies and I was on the highest does of follistim you can give which is around 450 I think. My follies did end up getting a decent size towards the end of the stims, but unfortunately the poor quality allowed only 2 to fertilize and grow enough to be transferred. That cycle did not work unfortunately, probably b/c of my poor quality eggs. So we moved on to donor eggs from my sister and she had like 18 follies with a bunch fertilizing and growing and an exceptional number of high quality embryos. We transferred 2 and both implanted and 1 even divided, so now I have triplets. Just wanted to say I know how you feel, I was a poor responder. Not everyone needs donor eggs like me if you are a poor responder. You may start responding soon, maybe different meds would help or you may just have to try IVF a few times to get the right protocol. I just wish it wasn't so expensive Good luck and I hope your follies start responding soon!!

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
February 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your dust, hugs and stories!! I will try to keep my spirits up and hopefully will get some better news on Sat. I'll keep y'all posted. Thank you again, it really means a lot.

ETA: HopeToBeAMom - my FSH tests came back normal. My RE said that everything looks great from my bloodwork and I should have more than adequate ovarian reserve This is why it's so confusing and frustrating that I'm not responding well! BTW, congrats again on the triple blessing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search