Did you know....

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just curious...did you guys know prior to ttc that you would most likely require medical assistance? Do you think it would be easier to know beforehand, so as to prepare better? Or do you think it's harder?

I did know that I would most likely need m/a, as I was dx'd with pcos at 14. Knowing this, however, doesn't mean that I was readily willing and able to accept it. In my mind, I knew that it could take a little bit longer-but just assumed that we would get there on our own. This is why we were ntnp for 12 months. I mean, during that time, we weren't even using opk's or temping. It kind of kills me now knowing that those 12 months were pretty much a waste because I was o'ing so irregularly. If I could go back-we would have started ttc seriously at the very beginning. In fact, my doctor at the time, wanted me to go straight onto Clomid after stopping bcp. Wish I listened now, but live and learn. I just wasn't ready to go there...

So, what are your experiences?
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

February 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes we knew -- DH was diagnosed with severe kidney disease a couple of months before we'd planned to TTC. He then figured that there would be "issues," so he went in for an s/a, and the results were terrible. We never wasted any time trying on our own, as we immediately sought the help of an RE. For that, I think it was a good thing that we knew - there is no way we could have gotten pregnant on our own, so we didn't end up wasting years trying the natural way.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
February 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
No, I didn't know.. I got pregnant by accident before I met my DH (miscarried at 10 weeks), so I thought when we started trying that it wouldn't take that long... We found out 5 months into trying that we were dealing with MFI but didn't get any assistance until month 12.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

February 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, had no clue. My husband always worried that he'd have problems (because he just always worries about stuff like that), but we both really thought I'd be pregnant soon. And it turns out the problem was with me anyways. NO indication that would be a factor. I am glad that we saw the RE at 12 months exactly and then I pushed hard from there to find the problem. I'm glad we went to IVF pretty quickly. We could have wasted a lot of time.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
JCT2005's Avatar Teddy's Mom
When my son was almost a year old and I hadn't had AF return my Dr. started having tests done. We found out I had a high prolactin level that was preventing me from ovulating.

February 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Angel_Maker
I pretty much knew we would need MA.....I had my first AF when I was 14, it lasted about 24 days and was SO BAD that I became anemic and it very well could have killed me....When I was 16, I had only had 3-4 "periods" but they weren't really periods at all.....just strange episodes of heavy bleeding.....weird....I then went on BCP and had a regular AF until I stopped BCP when I was 22

Anyway, fastforward to Sept. 2006 (first month TTC)-DH was convinced it would happen right away...HAHA!

Although I knew we'd need help, NOTHING could've prepared me for the HELL that has become 2+ years TTC.....it has been a nightmare..
February 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
~Ivy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always knew...I just kind of felt it. I'd had irregular periods for years and my mom needed clomid to get preggo with my brother. I tried to tell my hubby and my doc, but neither listened to me. It took two years before either of them admitted that I needed assistance....

My Blog

February 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
Nope! My DS was a surprise when I was 18 years old! I was on birth control....just kept forgetting to take pills. Woops! After having him I went straight on Depo Provera. When we decided to TTC #2 we figured it would be a breeze.....wait for shot to wear off and Boom! I get pg! NOPE! We tried on our own for 12 months before the Dr. would even start testing! Ugh. Here we are.....9 years later.....still TTC #2. (In all fairness....we did take a 5 year break.)

February 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM
KalliRyRysMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I was told at 19 years old that I would need medical assistance to get pregnant - so up until I was 22 I thought I couldn't get pregnant and solely used Metformin to keep my cycles regular and in Jan of 06 I went off the BCP and found myself pregnant in April of 09, had some problems with my pregnancy which resulted in my daughter being born 7 weeks early. DH and I began to actively TTC in March of 08, I thought since I was surprised by my 1st pregnancy that I wouldn't have any problems getting pregnant.... wellll..... I was wrong - I finally gave up in Jan and decided to call my OB-GYN, she put me back on Metformin and will be starting my first cycle of Clomid this month! So it was 1/2 and 1/2, I kinda knew but at the same time with my 1st pregnancy, I didn't think I would need it for my 2nd

Krystle

"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." ~Rajneesh
February 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I did know we'd need help. I was diagnosed with endometriosis at age 14. A doctor at age 19 told me if I didn't have children by 25, chances are I never would. I got pregnant twice unexpectedly.. both were ectopic pregnancies. So now we're dealing with severe endo and only one tube. We're hopeful though. Trying clomid this cycle then the dr says straigth to IUI, no wasting time. So we'll see. I really think some women know something is up. About six or seven months ago I just started to panic about it for no good reason, I hadn't seen my OB/GYN for quite a while, so I made and appointment and they did an ultrasound he said the endo was bordering on adenomyosis which would mean I'd need a hysterectomy. Lots of medications, Lupron injections, and now clomid. It just really sucks for any of us to be here... hope there are lots of BFPs soon!!

February 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Veteran
I always had afeeling it would be hard for me to concieve, only cuz i have always wanted to be a mom! We ttc on our own for 3 years before going to the doctor. We are now scheduled to do IVF in May. We are very excited!! I am praying the Lord will bring us a BFP!!!
February 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always had a feeling deep down inside, but my gyno said no nothing's wrong, then in 6 months I got pregnant. I m/c and then TTC for a year with nothing and then we finally saw an RE.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
February 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I always had suspicions that I had PCOS when I was in college and wasn't dx until I was 24. I had kind of hinted to DH that we may need some help getting PG but he didn't listen, do men ever listen???

Anyway, I went to my OB and her first thought was to put me on BCP right away for year when I asked her about TTC after we got married. I didn't want to do that so I found my own way into a reproductive health program at my clinic. We were charting and just doing timed intercourse at home while I started testing. We finally got help with MA about 12 months after we were married.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 8th, 2009, 03:57 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
I kinda suspected we would need MA but I was thinking more along the lines of Clomid, etc. Nothing hard core like we're doing now. And, I always thought the problem would be me - not DH. That was a HUGE surprise.

February 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It took us 21 months, one m/c and 3 months of Clomid to get pg with DS. I started Clomid when DS was 6 months old, and here I am on cycle 28 doing my first IVF this month. I don't think any of us thought it would take this long TTC#2. It was a huge surprise both times, since I never showed signs of PCOS or IR until a year ago.
February 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM
tracyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NOPE! I always assumed it would be easy for me. I had never been pregnant but I was on the pill for years. I have aways been "regular" and there were no indication we would have any issues. I went off the pill right before my honeymoon and planned to come home pregnant! I later found out I have a blocked tube and cysts on my right ovary. 18 months later we are starting IVF.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search