hyperstimulation...how many???

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Super Mommy
I'm just wondering how many follicles do you have to produce for it to be considered hyperstimulation?

I'm on CD 11, I started this cycle on 100iu of puregon injectables and on Thurs I had 14 follicles but as of Saturday I now have over 40 follicles , most of them a really good size. My RE didn't say it was hyperstimulation but she did seema little concerned and decreased my dose to 75iu on Sat and then to 50iu this morning hoping to slow the growth but they just keep going so I'm triggering tomorrow morning before I end up with the full 40 viable. Maybe this is exactly what's supposed to happen but it just seemed like a lot to me.

February 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ccwantsbfp
Wow...that is a lot. I had 5 mature and 10 that could potentially if we let it go any longer. I was in the ER twice after the trigger due to OHSS. 40 seems like a lot to trigger with...how many are mature?
February 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow...40 really does seem like a lot. I'm glad your dose was decreased, because it sounds like you could be getting close to ohss...but I'm no expert! My RE told me just today that he would be uncomfortable doing a trigger and iui with five or more. I guess every doctor has their limits.

Good luck when you trigger!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

February 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely be prepared for OHSS. I had mild hyperstimulation with my first IVF (around 28 follies, resulted in around 20 mature eggs). I had similar numbers for my 2nd IVF, but felt fine...no hyperstimulation.

Gatorade REALLY helps, I also loaded up on salty foods, pickles, etc, etc. I felt like water made me more bloated. Make sure you know what the dangerous symptoms are, so you can pursue emergency medical care if necessary.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
February 9th, 2009, 05:41 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
Ditto the other ladies. Please be careful!! 40 sounds really high... are you getting your estradiol levels measured every other day?? Also, are you doing IVF or IUI?

February 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Holy smokes! I had 8 big ones and I was considered hyperstimulation.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
February 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hyperstimulated & ended up in the hossy overnight. My ovaries stayed HUGE until I got through the 1st trimester, the size of softballs. I was so uncomfortable. I had about 40 follies but ended up w/ only 12 eggs, 10 that fertilized (ISCI & hopefully I am remembering the #'s correctly). I had a hard time breathing b/c of the swelling & just couldn't get comfortable. My dr had me go to the ER, admitted overnight for observation & was able to go home the next day. I was just really sore!

April 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Veteran
I only had like 8 follies, 2 that were mature when I had my IUI done. They tested my estrogen levels and everything looked good to go ahead. They told me of the warning signs though of OHSS and said that if I got pregnant, then the OHSS might kick in at that time. Well, everything was fine until around day 10dpo when I got pretty bloated. Didn't think much of it, until 14dpo when one side of my abdomen started to hurt really bad. Ended up in the ER. I was in so much pain that I had to take narcotics for it. I wasn't happy about that since we werent sure if I was pregnant or not. But the doc says I am for sure, OHSS is actually a good sign of it, and since my pain was so severe she thinks it might even be twins!!! So I had my blood taken on 14dpo and my hcg level was 255. They will take another at 16dpo to see if it has risen.

40 seems like so many! I hope everything works out for you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search