SA?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My neice has been ttc for over 1 1/2 yrs and her dh finally got a SA done. Results are...motility=none, volume 2.0, concentration=none observed, total count=none. What exactly does this mean for her dh? Will they need a donor or can he try taking something to help? He has been taking a multivitamin daily for over a year already. Any advice would be great. Thanks

February 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I am so sorry they are having trouble.

That basically means he has zero sperm. They will probably want to run a few tests and try for a biopsy to see if he has any sperm there, if not, they will need a donor. There is nothing he can take that is going to help unfortunately :-(
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
February 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What Oriyan said. He'll need to see a urologist who specializes in fertility. More than likely, they'll do a biopsy to see if sperm is present. If sperm is found, they may try to correct a blockage, or perform IVF/ICSI along with a TESE surgery (extraction of sperm from testicle) for him. If no sperm is found on biopsy, they'll need to use a sperm donor.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
February 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
Zero sperm is a condition called azoospermia. First make sure the SA truly showed zero sperm. It makes a difference whether there was 1 sperm or 0, believe it not. If he has more than zero the condition is known as oligospermia or virtual azoospermia depending upon how many sperm there are, and treatment options may be very different.

Assuming he truly has zero sperm, there are two different types of azoospermia: obstructive and non-obstructive. Obstructive azoospermia indicates there is a physical blockage in the reproductive system that is preventing sperm from leaving the testicles. This is a problem with sperm delivery. Examples include CBAVD (congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens - a genetic condition), varicocele (varicose vein in the scrotum), or scar tissue/blockage from surgery, accident etc. Some of these can be fixed, others cannot. If the condition can't be fixed, they can get sperm directly through the testes or the epididymus. These are both outpatient procedures and are referred to as TESE, MESA, PESA, etc depending upon the retrieval method (biospy, aspiration) and the retrieval source. These procedures must be combined with IVF in order to work (sperm counts and motility are insufficient to perform IUIs).

Non-obstructive azoospermia is harder to treat. This is caused by an issue with sperm production or sperm maturation. Either your niece's DH is not producing sperm, or the sperm are going through "maturation arrest" (dying in development). There could be several reasons for non-obstructive azoospermia including hormonal imbalance, testicular failure, cellular issue, and chromosomal/genetic defect. The latter two can't be fixed. There are certain types of cells (germ cells) that must be present for sperm to generate and then different types of cells (Sertoli cells) that must be present for sperm to mature. Missing either of these cells can result in non-obstructive azoospermia, and a testicular biopsy sample that is analyzed in a pathology lab can confirm this diagnosis. As it relates to chromosomal / genetic defects, Klinefelters is the most common cause of non-obstructive azoospermia. This is a condition (also known as XXY syndrome) that prevents males from producing sperm. Your niece's DH could also have what is known as a micro-Y deletion in which case part of his Y chromosome is actually missing. The only way to diagnose these latter issues is through genetic/karotype testing. As you can imagine, non-obstructive azoospermia is much harder to treat.

The first step is to see a urologist. I'm sorry to say vitamins won't do anything. Azoospermia isn't caused or helped by lifestyle changes (boxers vs briefs, hot tubs, saunas, laptops, vitamins, etc). It requires medical assistance to diagnose and treat. The treatment will depend entirely on the kind of azoospermia your niece's DH has.. Options that may be available to them include hormonal therapy, Clomid, and the various sperm extraction techniques such as TESE, PESA, MESA mentioned above.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

February 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ccwantsbfp
ditto to the above post!!!
February 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow that is a lot of info. Thank you. I will print it all off and give it to her since that is so very detailed and I am sure I will never be able to tell her that without reading it. I know this came as a shock to both of them. In the past she got pregnant and lost her baby around 16 weeks, now she got married almost 2 years ago and still hasn't got pregnant. She wants a baby so desperately and now they found this out. I feel for them and wish there was something I could do to help. I ttc for a living baby for almost 7 years and am so grateful to have her here with us now. It was all worth it. I hope you all get your bfp's real soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search