Clomid

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Katlynsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Katlynsmommy Send a message via MSN to Katlynsmommy Send a message via Yahoo to Katlynsmommy
Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid)

This drug is not a steroid; it is a synthetic estrogen used as a fertility drug. In men it can work as both an anti-estrogen, and a gonadotropic stimulant. Male steroid users find that it can work quite well to prevent gynecomastia while taking steroids that aromatise. It also is used to bring the body's natural testosterone levels back up to normal after a steroid cycle. The clomid acts directly on the pituitary gland to stimulate more gonadotropins. Women have used this drug to reduce the amount of estrogen in their systems, usually to harden up before a show. But in some cases women suffer estrogen deficiencies that can cause a number of side effects. No adverse reactions have been seen in males who used this drug. It can be quite effective, but is not favoured over HCG or Nolvadex in these areas. A dosage of 50 milligram per day for short cycles is most often seen.

Clomid typically come in 50 mg tablets in boxes of between 10 - 25 per box in blister packs. Clomid is a synthetic estrogen used to induce ovulation in women. Bodybuilders typically use Clomid as an anti-estrogen and to stimulate testosterone production when coming off a steroid cycle. Clomid causes an elevation of follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone. As a result, natural testosterone production is also increased. After a steroid cycle, testosterone production is suppressed. If testosterone levels are not brought to normal, a dramatic loss in size and strength may occur. Clomid is an excellent drug for preventing this crash.

Clomid is also an estrogen that works very well as an anti-estrogen. The reason that it works is that Clomid is a weak estrogen. It will typically bind to the estrogen receptors not allowing the harsher estrogens that are a byproduct of a testosterone cycle from attaching to the receptors. This signifigantly cuts down on the risks of bad side effects such as gyno. Cycling bodybuilders will suffer from an elevated estrogen level at the conclusion of a cycle. A high estrogen levels and low testosterone levels can be a disasterous combination. With the intake of Clomid, the athlete gets the dual effect of blocking out some of the effects of estrogen, while also increasing endogenous testosterone production. As far as side effects go, Clomid is a fairly safe drug. At the worst, you will get bloating, stomach pains, blurred vision, headaches, nausea, and dizzyness.

Effective Dose
The common dosage in male bodybuilders is 50- 100 mgs. per day taken for up to two weeks at a time. Most of the time you will be back to normal by 1 week of usage but it never hurts to take a little extra just to be on the safe side. You need to take Clomid with meals as well.

Street Price
This product is really expensive in US pharmacies so the black market price is high as well. It will sell for between $2 - 4 per tablet.

Stacking Info
This product is usually taken along with HCG. HCG is taken for a week or two first since its effects will start within a few hours of injection. Then Clomid is taken for a few weeks since Clomid helps regenerate the entire testosterone producing cycle whereas HCG only has direct testosterone stimulating effects on the LH (luteinizing hormone) production to stimulate testosterone production.

Side effects

There are, as with any fertility treatments, side effects associated with the use of Clomid/Serophene:

Mood Issues
Fertility medications and hormones in general are often blamed for the foul
mood of any woman of childbearing age. That said, increasing hormones can be a recipe for altered moods or mood swings. Most women find these to be temporary, usually lasting just during the actual days that you take the medication or a day or two later.

Headaches
Headaches are a problem also associated with hormones. You need to consult your doctor if you experience severe headaches or if you have any complications like visual disturbances with your headaches. If you are prone to headaches try to talk to your doctor beforehand about the treatment that is most appropriate.

Multiple Pregnancy (Twins, Triplets, etc.)
The multiple pregnancy rate associated with the use of Clomid and its companions is about 10%. Talk to your practitioner to find out what your personal risks are, because these may not all be related to the medication.

Hot Flashes
Hot flashes are annoying, but also a part of the hormone game. You may experience them at any time during therapy but many women find they strike often at night. Cool showers, fans and sleeping in the nude (also good for getting pregnant) can all help you maintain a sense of calm during this period.

Ovarian Enlargement
Ovarian enlargement or hyperstimulation is possible with this medication. This is why your doctor will follow you and watch you for signs of hyperstimulation. It is fairly uncommon but one of the main reasons that good follow up and screening are needed when using medication to induce or increase ovarian function.

Hostile Mucous
Hostile cervical mucous can prevent pregnancy. Your doctor may screen you or ask that you watch your signs of ovulation via your cervical mucous. Some physicians may prescribe aids for issues with cervical mucous, but you should not self-medicate.
While many people think that Clomid is the answer to fertility problems, it is not the magic fertility pill many people assume. Only your doctor or other health care professional can help you decide if Clomid therapy is right for your type of infertility.
March 7th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Veteran
Dies anyone know what our progesterone level should be on day 21, after taking clomid? Thank you.
March 8th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Katlynsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Katlynsmommy Send a message via MSN to Katlynsmommy Send a message via Yahoo to Katlynsmommy
i will find it for ya and post on the reg board
November 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
i know my post is very late but just incase anyone reads this and is wondering the same thing...the dr.s like to see a level of 15 or higher when taking clomid. Good luck!!
November 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Gwen
I'm currently on my second Clomid cycle of 50 mg taken on days 5-9.
The first cycle failed to result in pregnancy.
We have "unexplained infertility" because all of our tests came back normal.
If this Clomid cycle isn't successful, we're going to do IUI with Clomid.
The s/e I experienced were: hot flashes, slight cramping, headaches, and moodiness.
Good luck to you if you're taking Clomid!
December 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've almost just finished my first cycle with Clomid and took 50mg CD3-7. The only real s/e's I noticed was being tired about half way through it, and elevated BBT. Nothing else really stood out, but I've been told that the higher the dose the more s/e you experience. We're giving the clomid a try for 3 cycles, if we don't get pg, and then my RE will re-evaluate our next course of action if it doesn't work.

ETA: It did delay O by 3 days. I was O'ing on CD14 but due to low estrogen levels and low prog my RE wanted to give Clomid a try to give my body a little boost. I don't know if the delayed O was a coincidence, or Clomid related though.
January 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
mom2megan
I took Clomid for 1 cycle of 50 mg with my fist pregnancy and had no side effects at all.
Megan is now 2 1/2 and I ended up taking clomid over Christmas to concieve baby #2. I had extremely bad cramping every day that I took the clomid, I was very thankful DH was there to take care of Megan. But it was totally worth it since I got a BFP.
Baby dust to everyone trying with clomid!!!!
February 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
StephaniePaige's Avatar Live.Laugh.Love.
Send a message via AIM to StephaniePaige
oh you don't know how happy i am to read that. i am hoping and hoping that this first cycle works for me. 50mg took 5-9 and today is 10 and i am SO ready for a baby!!!
April 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Regular
[font=Book Antiqua][b][color=#FF0000]Hello all, I am new to this website. And now on my second cycle of clomid. I had some of the side effects, moody and hot flashes but nothing too bad with it. Actually i felt my best while on it. The one thing about clomid that i have not understood till now is that We are ovulating one week after period. But thanks to this website Now i know. LOL Anyway this cycle we hit the ovulation time frame very well.Lets hope that it works. It is so frustrating the whole waiting game. And to only find i get my period every month. It is so hard on women to not stress this process. Man times have changed. Anyway keeping positive and hoping this month it works. I am now on calender day 18 and my chest is very sensitive feels like electrodes in my nipples lol. Anyway wish me luck and i wish luck to all those trying.
August 24th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Regular
Okay So I have some questions. I’m on my first month of Clomid. I went in and my doctor did an ultrasound. He looked at my follicles and he said that I had two good size ones on one ovary and then I had one on my other one. So my question is how many follicles do you have? since I have so many that are big will more then one produce eggs? do I have a really good chance. I don’t know if anyone knows these questions of not. I was just wondering. Thank if you can help.
October 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Teresa Hartley's Avatar Super Mommy
hello there everyone i am so glad i have found this part of this site it is a big relief to read all your stories of how clomid has helped you ladies i am 24 and live in new zealand and am currently ttc with medical help as i have pcos and have not o'ed in 15 months my doc has put me on 50mg of clomid. I have just finished my first dose of provera to bring on af so if do O there is a fresh slate for it i am currently waiting for my af and will be starting my clomid on cd 5-9.
It was freaking me out coz i did not know much about the tablets and se that they have until i just read this and it has helped so! much and to hear some success stories is awsome.
My partner and i are kind of freaking out a bit as my sister was on clomid and she now has 13year old TWINS and they happened after her first cycle,so we are kind of hoping that twins with help don't run in the familylol even though we would be happy to have twins one would be enough for now as i already have a 5 year old son that was concieved naturaly.
I would like to thank you girls for putting my mind at ease on so many levels and am wishing all of you all the luck in your ttc missions

A big hug and thank you to IBakeBoys08 for my gorgeous siggy

October 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Regular
Quote:
The s/e I experienced were: hot flashes, slight cramping, headaches, and moodiness.
Good luck to you if you're taking Clomid! [/b]

Hi, I realize this post was over 11 months ago, but wanted to see if you had success w/ any of the treatments. My hubby and I are in the same situation, age 29, explained infertility, 1st 50mg of Clomid was unsuccessful, and am going back to OBGYN in 2 days to discuss "options"..any advice would be so great! Thanks!

January 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
ChattyAshley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's strangely comforting to see that so many of us have been in the same boat.
I'm on my first cycle with clomid, 50mg, days 5-9. I've had regular periods my entire life until a year and a half ago when we decided we wanted to try and I went off birth control. So basically the last year and a half my periods have been super screwy. I went 6 months without a period, then had 5 periods in 2 months, and so on. Total and complete craziness!
Luckily, I started the clomid this month and it has seemed to put things normal again, whew!
I started doing ovulation tests everyday on day 12. Today is day 16 and the ovulation test was positive, HOORAY! Plus I had some mild pains on my left side which has never happened before but I hear it's somewhat common. I'm extremely excited and hoping that we'll get lucky this first time around!

Thanks to Babydoll213 for my cute siggy!
May 7th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Good luck to you if you're taking Clomid! [/b]

I am currently on my second cycle of Clomid this month.... just wondering how your 2nd (and 3rd) cycles went?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search