Clomid FAQs for a (somewhat) Newbie!!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 05:54 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Hi All ,

I haven't been on here in months, mostly because I had to put trying to conceive on hold for health reasons . Thankfully, I'm doing a bit better...I still have issues with ovulation (I have borderline PCOS, according to the docs) but am going to start Clomid in a about 2 weeks!

I just started Provera last night (because Aunt Flo hadn't showed in 4 months, I'm quite irregular) and I get my HSG done in about a week and a half! (They want to make sure I don't have blocked tubes; highly unlikely for me.)

So here is/are my questions for you all.

For those of you who've had success with Clomid, how long did it take?

For those of you taking Clomid, is there anything you do to help with the 'fertile mucus' problem (I've heard Clomid can cause unfriendly mucus, is this true?)?

Is there anything I really need to be warned about?

Also, have any of you tried Preseed with Clomid, and how did that work for you?

Did any of you all use Ovulation Predictors when taking Clomid (I have an electronic one, not sure if it will read right with the medication)?

Worst side effects?

Thanks so much, anything else you can add/tips would be much appreciated. I am so glad I'm finally getting started on this, my body just wasn't cooperating for awhile there :/.

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

April 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I took Clomid for 3 months. I didn't have any success with it, but I've read several places now that it normally doesn't help with unexplained infertility when you are already ovulating on your own anyway. I didn't have any problems with cervical fluid, but my RE said that if I did, to use canola oil instead of preseed. He says it works just as good as pre-seed and saves tons of money that we could use elsewhere.

I did use OPK's with no problems, and as far as worst side effects...probably the absolutely HORRIBLE visits from AF. I'm not the best person to ask though because Clomid gave me TONS of side effects........ all unpleasant!

I took Clomid for 3 months. I didn't have any success with it, but I've read several places now that it normally doesn't help with unexplained infertility when you are already ovulating on your own anyway. I didn't have any problems with cervical fluid, but my RE said that if I did, to use canola oil instead of preseed. He says it works just as good as pre-seed and saves tons of money that we could use elsewhere.

I did use OPK's with no problems, and as far as worst side effects...probably the absolutely HORRIBLE visits from AF. I'm not the best person to ask though because Clomid gave me TONS of side effects........ all unpleasant!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
April 7th, 2009, 06:19 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took Clomid for 4 cycles with no success, but before starting it, I wasn't ovulating on my own regularly. Since my first dose, however, I have ovulated every cycle (even on off cycles).

My CM was actually MORE abundant my first cycle on Clomid, but the next few it deteriorated a little. I was taking EPO (evening primrose oil) for a few cycles to help with that. I have also used Preseed (but generally not on Clomid cycles because I didn't need it with the EPO).

Regular OPKs never work for me, but digitals do. They also worked just fine on Clomid- you just can't test too early, as you may get a false positive result.

As far as side effects, I had hot flashes, headaches from AF through O, major bloating through O time, and minor mood swings (although DH wouldn't refer to them as "minor" LOL)

I wish you the best of luck and glad you're back to the ttc world!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

April 7th, 2009, 06:43 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thanks for your responses, Ladies. I'm also worried it won't work for me :/. But we shall see...

April 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't want our stories to scare you... there are LOTS of ladies that have great luck with Clomid! Unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone though..

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

April 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Veteran
i took clomid for 2 months and got pregnant the 2nd month itself.1st month 1 took 50mg,i did not ovulate on that.2nd month i took 100mg and i ovulated.i used pre-seed.i really liked it.
i did not have any side effects as such with clomid.
i did not use OPK either bcoz my doc was monitering me.i went for cd13 U/s to see if i had mature follie and then she gave me the HCG trigger shot.

</a>

April 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM
amberrose22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to amberrose22 Send a message via Yahoo to amberrose22
My first time on 50mg of clomid I got my bfp. I took it on CD 3-7 used OPK's (the clearblue easy sticks) Got a positive OPK on CD 15 had my IUI on CD 16... and bam... I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant.

Thought maybe you needed success story thrown in there Good luck to you!
April 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thanks so much for your encouragement! Congrats on your BFP !!

April 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I took 50mg of Clomid on CDs 5-9 due to PCOS. On my second cycle I got a BFP. I also used OPKs and charted. Clomid didn't dry me out the way it does for some others. Actually, it seemed to have the reverse effect. It did make me incredibly moody, especially during the 2WW. That lasted for a few weeks after my BFP as well. Clomid shouldn't affect a monitor or OPKs because there is no LH in it. As long as they normally work for you when you O they should work just fine with the Clomid.

Good luck! I hope you get your BFP soon!

April 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thank you! Yes, I've heard that Clomid dries some women up and/or produces hostile cervical mucus. Is there any way to check to see if it's hostile?

April 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
The only way to know if it is hostile is to do a post-coital test...which is when you have your doctor look at your CM 1-4 hours after you BD. He'll put your CM on a slide and see how many sperm are swimming around in there.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have taken for four cycles with no luck. I never had any problems with CM. I did the OPK's a little with Clomid, but it was just too stressful for me.

The side effects I had varied each time.

1st time: hot flashes, cried a lot
2nd time: hot flashes
3rd time: hot flashes, night sweats
4th time: night sweats and insomnia

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 8th, 2009, 11:29 AM
tawny63's Avatar Super Mommy
I did not have success with clomid, but my s/e were: migraines, hot flashes, and ovary over-reaction. I had intense pain, so I knew I had a problem.
Good luck and keep us posted!!!
12/06 clomid 50mg=INSANITY and OHSS
Decided to adopt 01/07
raced to the hospital to get our baby boy in August 2007, 12 days after we went "live" to adopt!
Mental break....ahhh. Mommy time....ahhhh. <3
Endometriosis surgery 01/16/09
Femara+IUI 03/09, 04/09, 05/09, 06/09 BFN's
07/09: mixture of acupuncture, herbs, hope, and prayers
09/2009~too much pain, had to go on BCP's.
06/10: Starting adoption process again!!!!!
10/13/10: Adoption paperwork done...now just pray and wait....
01/07/11 profiles turned into the adoption agency.
Matched April 1st, 2011 with a baby girl!
Cassidy born June 15, 2011

Tags
clomid , infertility , pcos , preseed

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search