Testing to Negative after HCG shot

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
So, I heard about this after it was too late when we did our IUI cycle last January. But we are getting close to the HCG shot day and I wanted to know more about it.

The way I understand it is you take the hcg shot and test every day and watch the hcg leave your system and if your tests begin to get darker again, then you are pregnant?

Can anyone tell me anything more? Or about your experience?

Did this make you less crazy in the two week wait or just make you more anxious???

November 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
You pretty much have it...I tested every day after the HCG shot and watched the line get lighter until I got a stark white BFN. Then if it turned positive again, I knew it would be the real deal. This isn't fool-proof, but it is a pretty good way of making sure of what you are seeing. Just be sure to test at the same time every day, preferably with FMU, and use the same type of test so you can get an accurate comparison.

I'm not sure if testing like this made me any less or more crazy...I think at this point I'm just crazy no matter what Good luck!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

November 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
What kind of test did you use? I mean you need at least 14 and I don't really want to go spen the $5-8 a peice at the store.

November 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am testing it out right now. I actually didn't start testing right after the shot. (Well--I took a test at 1 day post trigger (dpt) to make sure it was ++++ and it was.) Anyway, then I started testing three days ago at 7 dpt. I tested +++ at days 7 and 8, and then today, at 9 dpt, I got a negative. That HAS to be the first time I was EVER happy to see a negative!

And, really, the one yesterday at 8dpt was SO faint I almost counted it as a neg---DH thought it was. But I *thought* I saw a shadow of a line, so I counted it as +++.

Anyway, I will test again tomorrow and keep on testing until I either get a REAL or AF shows, but hopefully she won't!

The ones I have been using this cycle are the Walmart brand (Equate?) that come 2 in a pack. I think each box was $7 or so, and I bought 4 boxes....

It is really important to use the SAME brand of test, whichever you use, because different tests have diff. sensitivity; you would hate to get a neg on one and a +++ on another and think you were pregnant, when it was really just a difference in sensitivity.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

November 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I waited until 10dpo to test because that's when the RE said it would be negative. It was. At 11dpo it was a BFP!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

November 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I am thinking I will do this too. I have a ton of tests at my house right now. I was thinking of using my cheapies and then switching brands once those faded a little just to conserve my FRER. Melissa, do you think you should use just name brands from the start or do you think it would be okay to start with cheapies and then use FRER? I don't trust the cheapies. I have never gotten a bfp on them even when I was pregnant so I want to use the FRER but I thought using the cheapies would be okay for the first few days. I haven't done this myself so I would love to hear others stories as well.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
November 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started testing at 4 dpo, 6dptrigger. I used internet cheapie strips to keep the cost down!!
I got stark white BFNs at 8 and 9 dpo, and the faintest of faint BFP at 10 dpo. Then I pulled out the FRER and digi to confirm. That was the cycle I conceived my son!

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
November 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I used the internet cheapies at first so I didn't go broke At about 7DPO I switched to FRERs, and used them from that point on. Of course this last round, I also used CBE digis starting at 10DPO. I figured once you have spent $15k, what's another $100 or so on HPTs, right?

Oh, and just in case you think the obsession to POAS ends with a BFP or a positive blood test...don't kid yourself...I peed on another FRER today because I really had the urge

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

November 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM
AJD1021's Avatar Veteran
You can also get HPTs from the Dollar store. I had a bunch of internet cheapies to use to test out the trigger from my first IUI and forgot them at home (It was July and I had my IUI done in the middle of a family vacation to the beach), so I picked up some Dollar Tree HPTs to use. The trigger was out of my system by 7dpiui. I didn't test out for my second IUI, but got a true BFP at 12dpiui. I probably could have tested positive as early as 9 or 10dpiui, but I was nervous of a false positive or getting a negative, so I waited until 12dpiui. Good luck!

Joanna-26
Adam-26

OTL-Sept 07
BFP-March 08
m/c-April 08 5 weeks
AO cycles- May 08-Oct 08
Prog check 2.0- Oct 08
1st appt w/ RE-Nov 08
S/A (all clear!)-Nov 08
HSG (right tube clear, adhesions on left tube)-Dec 08
Left RE-Dec 08
Met with new RE- May 09
Diagnosed with PCOS- cysts on left ovary
Hysteroscopy- June 09 (everything looks good!)

1st round of Clomid 50mg- April 09
2nd round of Clomid 50mg- May 09
3rd round of Clomid 100mg- June 09 (Clomid Challlenge Test)
4th round of Clomid 100mg plus IUI- July 09
MA break during Aug 09- laproscopy (tubes are clear and look good)
5th round of Clomid 100mg, .5mg dexamethasone plus IUI- October 09
November 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hmm I am thinking this is something I really want to do. Our date to find out will be about the e21st of December, and I would LOVE to do something special to share the news. With DH he will know the deal and be in on the surpise, but for family I want to surprise on Christmas if possible.

Plus I don't think a 2 week wait will ever last as long as the one that is approaching.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search