Soy was a bust, now a question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
So yeah... soy was a big waste of time. I o'd late like always. I started spotting at 10 DPO instead of 9 DPO, but big whoop. I was planning on doing another soy cycle this month and then starting clomid in January, but seeing as the soy did NOTHING, I have a new plan. (Course this cycle was probably a bust anyway considering all the radiation my eggie got from my CT scan when I had the kidney stone)

I think I'm going to request an HSG. My doc suggested one after my chemical pregnancy, but I shot her down thinking I didn't need one. (For sure I'll get pregnant again quickly... not) But I figure better to know everything up front before starting fertility meds. DH says he's ready to move on to medical treatment.

Any HSG wisdom to pass on?

December 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Take 800mg Ibprofen one hour before the test in case it is painful, and wear warm socks...the room I was in was FREEZING! I think it is a great idea to get the HSG done...hopefully it will look great and you will be able to move forward knowing that everything is ready for a BFP.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I've heard if there is any sort of blockage, it can be painful. Mine was painless and we had no blockage at all... It's quick, almost like a pap in terms of time, your position (lovely) and (for me, anyway) pain (as in, I had none). I hope yours goes smoothly and you don't have any blockage!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have had this done twice. I think it is good that you are getting this done. I had mine done the second time because I didn't want to waste money on treatments if there could be a blockage so I think this is smart on your part.

As for the pain, I have heard the same thing. I didn't have a lot of pain during the procedure but I had a lot of cramping for a couple days after. I would plan on taking ibuprophen before and after the procedure.

Good luck. I hope everything goes well!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Last edited by pattyandthemoos; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
December 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm. I am going to give you MY personal experience w/HSG.

My old RE did mine in November of 2008 and diagnosed me with tubal blockage on the right side. He said my left side only looked "so-so.'

I left in TEARS and in utter shock, thinking that I had severe tubal damage.

He gave us the option of having a laparoscopy or of trying three IUI cycles. He said if the IUI cycles didn't work, that would tell us what we needed to know----that my tubes were too damaged for pregnancy to occur, and that IVF would be our only option.

So I opted to NOT have the laparoscopy b/c he made it sound it was a waste of time. He told me that was a good choice.

When we switched REs, the new one wanted to do the lap. before doing anything else, and we were SHOCKED, and I do mean SHOCKED, to find out that my tubes are FINE! No blockage of any kind! I had some VERY mild endometriosis, but my RE said it was so minor, that he just couldn't classify that as being the cause of our infertility. He offically put us in the "unexplained category."

I'm pretty frustrated that we spent a year thinking I had tubal blockage---ughhhh, there were cycles we SAT OUT b/c I only had a follie on my right ovary and my RE was saying I couldn't get pregnant on that side.

Now--I do think my experience is rare. So I don't want to DETER you from doing the HSG at all. But I do think that a laparoscopy is the best thing to do to find out what's going on in there---if any kind of blockage is found at your HSG, I would strongly encourage you to have a lap. to see for sure. The reason my HSG was read like that is b/c my tubes were spasm-ing from the dye being pushed through them. A spasm can mimic blockage. I wish my RE would have told me that.

So--that said---I think an HSG is a great first step, but I just wanted to give you that info. about blockage, and that IF blockage is found, then it's best to have surgery to really get a good look.

But hopefully yours will be all clear from the get-go!
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a great next step as well! If nothing else, at least your tubes will be cleared out and maybe your eggie will benefit from that in one of the months right after it.

I had it done and had more pain with the speculum (as usual) than the actual procedure. I had some strong cramping during it, but as soon as it started- it was over just as fast. I spotted a bit the rest of the day, but I didn't have any cramping or spotting after that.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

December 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I have to have it done also... But have yet to schedule it... Since I have gotten pregnant 3 times in 11 months... My OB dosen't think my tubes are the problem... But if I M/C again... I think I will have it done.. Since that is the only way my RE will move on to other options, like the IUI..

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search