Metformin? San Francisco monitoring? Too much!!!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I have such a headache.

First, a couple more reasons why I am not fond of my RE:

I have done so much research on metformin. I am overweight, my glocose on the fasting basic bloodwork is average/high (in the 80's or 90's) and I keep hearing how metformin can be the "perfect" thing to help women in my position with TTC.

My RE won't prescribe it because my glucose isn't high enough. I am about fed up with him because he won't even listen to my reasoning.

THEN...

I am planning through my trip to San Fran. Given I start AF "on time" after stopping these bcp's, my guess is I'll be anywhere between cd 8-10 on my trip. I can check in with my RE on WEd before I fly out, but I'll probably have to get monitored in San Fran while there.

I am not renting a car, so I've spent hours finding something!

The RE's are UNGODLY expensive there. Holy sh** how do people pay for this? So I found a diagnostic place that will work with me, for same as price here for u/s ($168). I will probably have to then go to the fertility center to get my E2 drawn, since no labs in San Fran can get the results out that day. It'll be a pain and cut down on my touristy stuff, but hey, I do what I need.

Anyway, all this is giving me a HUGE headache.

Any ideas on the met? I even found myself looking on the "black market" but I know better... Is it really a godsend, or am I making more of it than I need? I really wish he'd prescribe it, or at least talk it through with me, because I could then understand it better, but no.

Oh well. Glad it's Friday!

Take care, Gals!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh! That's a lot to deal with. I have to say, I think you are a more persistent women than me... I would have taken the cycle off

As far as the Met goes, could you talk with your family doc or an OB about it, ya know, go around your RE?

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM
[quote=Kari_B;18189757]Ugh! That's a lot to deal with. I have to say, I think you are a more persistent women than me... I would have taken the cycle off quote]

If I didn't have a cancelled cycle and this cycle on bcp, believe me, we'd take it off, but 2 cycles off for me is PLENTY. I'm itching to go again!!! No biggie, but finding all this out was cause for a headache.

December 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am totally ignorant about the whole Metformin thing!

Why do women take it?

Ok...anyway...back to your predicament, I totally agree with Kari and think you should bypass your RE and talk to your OB or gen. MD about prescribing the Met! You don't like this RE, anyway, do you? Go around him!
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice, but I just wanted give my well wishes that it all works out for you! Good luck!
December 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean about stupid RE's.
I ws seeing an RE for 1.5 years. Then, I just swtiched to another one, due to me being unhappy with my other one, & withing the first 20min of me being there, he diagnosed me with PCOS. How hard was that?!
Anyway, I have been put on Metformin, & I have heard WONDERFUL things about it.
Miracle drug
It's your body & if you want to try it out, he shouldn't object. It won''t hurt you.Sheesh.
Yea, I would deff find another doctor or go around him.
Hope this helps!
Best of luck!
December 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I took Metformin my first go around and got pregnant. I got pregnant without it the second time. I think it's pretty useful, but the side effects really sucked, and since I got pregnant this time without it, it's not necessarily required. Of course, we found out at the end of the last pregnancy that I am in fact diabetic, so I can't really speak for it's efficacy in the non-diabetic crowd.

However, if you want to make your fasting numbers higher to get the prescription from a doc and not the internet, have a high sugar snack before bed or a carb snack in the middle of the night. What are your fasting now? I know mine are supposed to be between 70-95.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 5th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks, ladies! I am just going to sit it out (from met) and if we are devastated yet again with a BFN after this IUI (given we actually get to follow the whole cycle through!) then talk with my new RE at CCRM and see what they say.

Rebecca, my fasting glucose is usually in the high 70's and low 80's, and then, believe it or not, when I had it tested after eating about 2 or 3 hours earlier, it is only about 10 points higher! When I was pregnant, too, I didn't have GD or anything like that, so I know I am not diabetic, for which I am grateful.

Thanks, gals. Your support means a lot. I'm getting SOOO anxious and itching to get started, but I'm also soooo worried about how I'll respond. It's been about 2 months since we had the last IUI and I'm just tired of waiting!

December 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Wow, your numbers are awesome!!!! Are you guys doing injectibles or Clomid with your IUI? I am obviously a HUGE fan of IUI

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I just wanted to recommend a clinic for you to check into being monitored at while in San Francisco. It's UCSF Center for Reproductive Health. They are awesome!!
December 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll let my RE know. I appreciate the referral

Rebecca... I'll be doing follistim, probably with a little menopur in the latter days, and the IUI. I'm really excited but also so VERY anxious I won't respond as needed (not to little, not to much )

Last edited by redbirds; December 8th, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
December 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I had talked to my RE at first about met and she said no because most of my 12 hour (and I do mean literally 12 hour) fasting were around 100-125. She finally tested me with the 2 hour glucose test and it was extremely high. They labled me PCOS and Glucose intolerant. I'm not sure if the met or the thyroid (found out I have thyroid issues at the same time) meds helped.

I was put on insulin around 7 weeks. Now they just want my fasting at 100 and 120 after meals.

made by BAM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search