These injections stress me out. I don't know if I got the full dose in

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I pushed the needle all the way in but there was still some left in the pen and I thought I should have used it all up. Then idiot me tries to see how much is left in the pen and there was like 75 iu left which I accidently squeezed out. I am pretty sure I have done everything right so maybe there was some left from the previous injections that I didn't use. My pen is 900 iu and I have done 3 injections out of it so I wouldn't think there would be anything left in it. It is possible I screwed up the previous two injections. I am just not sure. You have to push down pretty hard on the pen to get it to release the meds so I may not have pushed it down far enough. I can't remember now what the number was at when I pulled it out. I think it wasn't showing a number. I just noticed there was still medicine in the pen.

I don't know but I am worried that I was short 75 iu when I did my injection. I didn't want to reinject that 75 iu in case that I did get the 300 in and there was just some left over in the pen but what if I didn't do it right and only injected 225. This seems so easy but every time I do one I feel like I screwed it up somehow. I think I would prefer to just draw it up in a needle myself instead of using the pen because then I know for sure if there is something left in the needle then I didn't do it right.

I am going to just not worry about it and assume I did it right because there is not much I can do now anyway. Tomorrow I hope that I will feel more confident. I am trying not to get stressed out.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Okay I just paid a visit to Pharmacist Google and feel SO MUCH BETTER! Why don't doctors think to tell you these things so you aren't freaking out.

I guess the pens have a bit of a surplus in them. Here is what I found.

Quote:
NDC 44087-1114-1 - One Gonal-f® RFF Pen contains 1026 IU to deliver a minimum total of 900 IU/1.5 mL and 14 single-use disposable 29G x ½” needles
Since I primed 37.5 and did 900 iu worth of injections that should leave about what I had left in the pen.

You have NO idea how much better I feel now!

December 5th, 2009, 05:00 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Shoot, I wish I would have seen this earlier. My pen had about an extra 100 units in it...they are always overfilled because they don't want anyone to be short for their injections. I'm glad that you have it all figured out and that your follies have all the meds they need to start growing!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
Shoot, I wish I would have seen this earlier. My pen had about an extra 100 units in it...they are always overfilled because they don't want anyone to be short for their injections. I'm glad that you have it all figured out and that your follies have all the meds they need to start growing!
Oh gosh you have no idea how much better you have made me feel. I was really trying to figure out how I screwed it up. Thanks so much! I was almost in tears earlier.

December 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, Patty! Yep, we even count on a little extra for cushion, I don't let any of it go to waste! I think all the pens and cartridges have extra. I've even heard, maybe more with follistim, that the best bang for your buck is the 300 cartridge because it has about the same overfill as the larger dose cartridges... I'm not exactly sure about that, but I will find out this cycle!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I'm glad you were able to get info that the pens are overfilled - so definitely no need to panic!

I never used the pen and always drew up into a needle so I didn't have any first hand experience for you. I had the option of the pen with my last go around and was told it's easier to self administer, but I was already used to measuring my own. So, I'm sure you've done everything just perfectly and no need to worry!

December 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad you got it all figured out Patty! I also draw up my own meds... it's just easier for me personally. I'm used to drawing up vaccinations and drawing blood from animals all the time, so it didn't freak me out at all. I also like to be in control... so drawing up my meds felt better for me.

Good luck this time around!!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yep they are all over filled. my nurses told me this when i did my first ivf. its kind of pain when you get to the end of the cartridge because you have to use the excess up and then start another shot but it does save money!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search