# of embrios to transfer - how to decide

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
So we are officially in the big debate about how many embrios to transfer, if all goes as planned. The dr won't put more then 3 in, which is good because I feel that is my max. Now I would LOVE twins, and be OVERJOYED with just one. I can handle three I think, but its just not my first decision. However, I sort of think its worth chancing things. I mean I would much rather have three then chance having none. So how do you decide? I am just hoping that if 3 go in at least one or two can make it. My past proves my body doesn't seem to do this too well, so I would love to better my odds.

Anyway tell me your story and why you chose what you did. Thanks everyone

December 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Angel_Maker
We wanted twins, so we knew we would put back two. The RE wouldn't do more than 2 because I am young and our infertility stems from annovulation (me) and poor morph (DH) but that was resolved with ICSI so my RE was so sure I'd get a ....Well, I got a and wish I would've put back the 4 embies I have because now I have two frozen that I can't use because my body does not cooperate for FETs (I've had three get cancelled before transfer)

Good luck with whatever you decide
December 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been there done that yet--BUT DH and I have talked about it since IVF is our next step, and we've come to the decision that *we* would be comfortable putting 3 in, but no more. I don't know what my RE would say, though. I am 29.

Here are the experiences of two women I know at my DD's school---one has QUADS. They put 4 embies in; she was 36 or 37, maybe, and her RE said there was no way they'd all stick. THEY DID. The quads are now in 1st grade at my DD's school. (She went to our old RE btw, who is kind of a doofus!)

There are twins in DD's class, as well. Their mom has been a huge support to me They did 3 rounds of IVF before getting their Anyway, first and second rounds, they put in 2 embies each time and got The third round, they got really aggressive and put in 3----that was the round she got pg w/the twins.

I think she was maybe 34 or 35 at the time.

If your RE is comfortable going for 3, I would personally do that for the reasons you stated.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's such a personal decision. DH and I have not gone the IVF route yet, but have talked about it extensively and decided the most we'd be comfortable with is 2, unless something else was found out about poor egg quality or something of the sort.

Have you done IVF before? What is your history with transferring/how has your body responded?

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
This is the first time we have done IVF, so we don't know my reactions yet, but that is why the dr said he would only do three the first time and be more agressive next time. But I would be completely comfortable putting in 3 on a 3 day transfer or two really good ones on a 5 day transfer, but thats just me. I was still grogy when we talked with the dr.

December 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
There are a few factors to consider. First, are these 3 day or 5 day embies that you will be transferring? Most REs will not transfer more than 2 blasts (5 day embies) and will do up to 3 of the 3 day. Second, how old are you? If you're under 35, the recommendation is usually max of 2. Over 35 is when they start considering 3. And third, is what you're already considering and that is what can you handle physically, emotionally and financially as far as multiples. I always felt that you had to go in assuming all took and decide if that was something you could handle.

I can share my personal experience, if that will help you decide. I've done 9 cycles in total.

Cycle #1 - fresh cycle, transferred 3 day 3 embies. Result: BFN
Cycle #2 - FET, transferred 3 day 3 embies. Result: BFN
Cycle # 3- FET, transferred 3 day 3 embies. Result. BFP. 5wk u/s showed a potential vanishing twin, gone by the 8wk u/s. Miscarried my singleton at 9 weeks.
Cycle #4 - fresh cycle, transferred 2 blasts. Result: BFN
Cycle #5 - FET, transferred 2 blasts. Result: BFP m/c at 5 weeks.
Cycle #6 - FET, transferred 2 blasts. Result: BFP with singleton. DS born 14/1/08
Cycle #7 - FET, transferred 1 blast. Result: Chemical pregnancy
Cycle #8 - FET, transferred 1 blast. Result: BFN
Cycle #9 - FET, trasnferred 1 blast. Result: BFN

The reason I went down to one at a time after my DS was born is because I knew I definitely did not want twins the second time around, so I was ensuring that.

The other thing you may want to look at is the success rate for FET at your clinic. They are getting better all the time and a good clinic will have almost the same success rate as they do with fresh cycles. So you could decide to maybe just do 2 at a time and freeze any left over for a future attempt. If you think about that one embie that could be your future baby that "one" will still take whether you put it with a couple of others or leave it on it's own.

Sorry, I'm rambling here but I know it's a really tough decision. Personally, I would never recommend transferring more than 2.

Good luck with your decision and with your transfer!

December 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I am 25, and so is dh. We have been trying since 2006. We were pregnant at least twice. The first was a miscarriage at 16 weeks and the other was very early and just this past June.

The dr is the one who said he would put in 3 when I first went to see him, and more agressive if that didn't work. I am comfortable with 3 on a 3 day transfer but only 2 on a 5 day transfer. I feel capable of handeling twins with no real problems. I think triplets would be rough the first couple years but after that it wouldn't be an issue anymore. That is just me however. DH and I am both very comfortable with two though.

December 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
^^ I agree with your thinking there, it was pretty much the same approach I took, although I was over 35.

I would definitely not be comfortable with something more aggressive than 3 at a time and honestly question an RE that would even consider it. I personally view that as pretty irresponsible on his/her part. But, I happen to feel pretty strongly about this topic so don't mind me.

December 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I don't see a problem with your view. This could be how he does things with low quality eggs, I don't know. But we have paid for two cycles, and after this we are done, so I think I am more comfortable with putting in 3 embrios, in my opinion.

December 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck whatever you decide. I am proof that embryos split!!! I put in 2 and got 3 babies. Triplets are tough, but I feel very blessed and knew this could happen, so I was prepared for whatever happened. As long as you are prepared that some could split and you could get 3, 4, 5, do what you are comfortable with.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
December 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I am comfortable with it, honestly, dh is more hesitant, but then again he still thinks more sex was the answer. We chose this direction because after 3 years I am sick of waiting. And out first m/c was in 2004. I would be happy with adoption, but dh isn't there just yet.

Granted I don't want 4, 5, or even 6 kids all at once, I know things happen for a reason, and we can make it work.

December 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I learned a few things with my first IVF cycle...one of them is to never judge someone else's decisions until you are in their shoes. I was ADAMANT about only transferring one before we started IVF. I have a couple of posts on here listing a gazilllion reasons why one was the best for us and why having twins was too risky for me and for the babies.

And then we actually got to the IVF, and I freaked out. We are paying out of pocket, so it was a stretch for us to come up with the $15,000 to do it in the first place. What if we spent all that money and didn't have a child? I was more scared of having no babies than having 2. I realized that if I transferred only one, I would have huge regrets if it didn't work out. We didn't make a final decision until the day of the transfer. My RE walked in to our room and handed us a picture of two 5-day blasts and asked, "should we put these two back?" We said yes, and thankfully one of them stuck. I have absolutely NO regrets at all.

It's definitely a very personal decision. For us, we would never do more than 2 embryos, regardless of the day of transfer, but that's just us. Whatever you decide, make sure you are both 100% behind the decision.

Good luck!!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
There are a few factors to consider. First, are these 3 day or 5 day embies that you will be transferring? Most REs will not transfer more than 2 blasts (5 day embies) and will do up to 3 of the 3 day. Second, how old are you? If you're under 35, the recommendation is usually max of 2. Over 35 is when they start considering 3. And third, is what you're already considering and that is what can you handle physically, emotionally and financially as far as multiples. I always felt that you had to go in assuming all took and decide if that was something you could handle.

I can share my personal experience, if that will help you decide. I've done 9 cycles in total.

Cycle #1 - fresh cycle, transferred 3 day 3 embies. Result: BFN
Cycle #2 - FET, transferred 3 day 3 embies. Result: BFN
Cycle # 3- FET, transferred 3 day 3 embies. Result. BFP. 5wk u/s showed a potential vanishing twin, gone by the 8wk u/s. Miscarried my singleton at 9 weeks.
Cycle #4 - fresh cycle, transferred 2 blasts. Result: BFN
Cycle #5 - FET, transferred 2 blasts. Result: BFP m/c at 5 weeks.
Cycle #6 - FET, transferred 2 blasts. Result: BFP with singleton. DS born 14/1/08
Cycle #7 - FET, transferred 1 blast. Result: Chemical pregnancy
Cycle #8 - FET, transferred 1 blast. Result: BFN
Cycle #9 - FET, trasnferred 1 blast. Result: BFN

The reason I went down to one at a time after my DS was born is because I knew I definitely did not want twins the second time around, so I was ensuring that.

The other thing you may want to look at is the success rate for FET at your clinic. They are getting better all the time and a good clinic will have almost the same success rate as they do with fresh cycles. So you could decide to maybe just do 2 at a time and freeze any left over for a future attempt. If you think about that one embie that could be your future baby that "one" will still take whether you put it with a couple of others or leave it on it's own.

Sorry, I'm rambling here but I know it's a really tough decision. Personally, I would never recommend transferring more than 2.

Good luck with your decision and with your transfer!
I think this is great advice. I plan to transfer just two for very much the reasons you posted. I would honestly prefer to do just one but I am 36 so my chances of success are just not as good with doing a single transfer.

Because I have a history of premature labor, I just would feel safer with a singleton.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I learned a few things with my first IVF cycle...one of them is to never judge someone else's decisions until you are in their shoes. I was ADAMANT about only transferring one before we started IVF. I have a couple of posts on here listing a gazilllion reasons why one was the best for us and why having twins was too risky for me and for the babies.

And then we actually got to the IVF, and I freaked out. We are paying out of pocket, so it was a stretch for us to come up with the $15,000 to do it in the first place. What if we spent all that money and didn't have a child? I was more scared of having no babies than having 2. I realized that if I transferred only one, I would have huge regrets if it didn't work out. We didn't make a final decision until the day of the transfer. My RE walked in to our room and handed us a picture of two 5-day blasts and asked, "should we put these two back?" We said yes, and thankfully one of them stuck. I have absolutely NO regrets at all.

It's definitely a very personal decision. For us, we would never do more than 2 embryos, regardless of the day of transfer, but that's just us. Whatever you decide, make sure you are both 100% behind the decision.

Good luck!!
I udnerstand what you mean. I felt that way about IVF all together. I was never open to it, until I realized the cost is about the same if not a little less then adoption. And our insurance covers NOT A THING but testing, which I had already had done before this insurance, so yeah. We are paying everything out of pocket, and thats why we only have these two chances. I am comfortable with 3 but dh is hesitant, so I think we will probably only do two.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search