Intro

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I have a 4 yr old daughter and am a member of the Aug/Sept 05 PR. When DH and I decided to pursue another child (about three days ago!) I figured I'd hop on here and see who/what I could find.

My brief backstory: I have two blood disorders that make me high risk for blood clots and RA. DD was not planned (that's what happens when they tell me I can't take BC.) She was pretty much a one shot opps. I had an early mc almost two years before my DD while on oral bc. So I know I can get pregnant.

After DD was born I had a PE (pulmonary embolism- blood clot in my lung) and honestly almost died. So when for my rheumatoid arthritis I needed a Rx that they would only give me if we had good method of bc it seemed like a no brainer for DH to get a v-sec. At the time we both said "we aren't done but we know we need to do this." We've talked about adoption and actually started the process but I just NEED to have another baby. My docs agree I'm high risk (duh, I was the first time and had to do heparin inj 2x day in my stomach) but it is doable.

So now here we are- DH is cut and we want a baby. So Friday we go see his urologist about "sperm aspiration" vs vsec reversal. His doc had indicated we could get pg with the aspiration plus an IUI. All the info I've read says that isn't possible but I will talk to him first.

Also- I'm worried that I won't be able to take clomid to increase chances because if it is "similiar" to estrogen then that is a no-no 'cause of the blood clots. Which is why I'm pretty sure aside from the cost I can't do IVF.

I should also mention that if the cost for DH is just TOO high we may (he is not thrilled about the idea) of just using a sperm bank plus IUI.

Sooo... that was long. Anyone have experience with a portion of this story?
December 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My cousin actually was just diagnosed w/something similar to what you are describing. Her son (now 4) had a stroke in utero at about 28 wks. He wasn't diagnosed until 18 months old.

They've been doing extensive testing b/c they would like to a) find out the cause of his stroke and b) determine if it's something that could happen again.

They determined that it is some clotting disorder she has, and it is totally treatable w/daily injections during pregnancy.

I don't really have any experience with vasectomy reversal so I can't help you there.

If you cannot take Clomid, I still think, given the fact that you've gotten pg twice before on your own, an natural IUI cycle would give you a good chance!

Welcome to this board!
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My cousin actually was just diagnosed w/something similar to what you are describing. Her son (now 4) had a stroke in utero at about 28 wks. He wasn't diagnosed until 18 months old.

They've been doing extensive testing b/c they would like to a) find out the cause of his stroke and b) determine if it's something that could happen again.

They determined that it is some clotting disorder she has, and it is totally treatable w/daily injections during pregnancy.

I don't really have any experience with vasectomy reversal so I can't help you there.

If you cannot take Clomid, I still think, given the fact that you've gotten pg twice before on your own, a natural IUI cycle would give you a good chance!

Welcome to this board!

December 7th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I was thinking the same about a natural IUI. I realize you lower the chances, but I did an IUI with only one egg. It didn't work for me, but it wasn't wasted either.

December 7th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
something like 5% woman have factor V (5) Leiden. Most never know it or have a problem with it. I think it's one of the more common clotting disorders. It can def cause those kind of problems or even unexplained m/c.
From Wikipedia:
Women with factor V Leiden have a substantially increased risk of clotting in pregnancy (and on estrogen-containing birth control pills or hormone replacement) in the form of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. They also may have a small increased risk of preeclampsia, may have a small increased risk of low birth weight babies, may have a small increased risk of miscarriage and stillbirth due to either clotting in the placenta, umbilical cord, or the fetus (fetal clotting may depend on whether the baby has inherited the gene) or influences the clotting system may have on placental development.[8] Note that many of these women go through one or more pregnancies with no difficulties, while others may repeatedly have pregnancy complications, and still others may develop clots within weeks of becoming pregnant.

For some reason though docs are very reluctant to test for this kind of thing unless you are actually suffering from blood clots. I think woman suffering from recurrent m/c's should be tested for this.
My doc found it on a fluke. I have this and MTHFR.
December 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I also have MTHFR

December 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope_soon, that is interesting info.

I know my cousin only found out about this issue because they were doing extensive genetic testing. Their son is 4 and they really want to have another child, but they first wanted to see if they could determine a cause for his stroke. They were leaning towards adoption if it was found to be something that could occur again. However, since they found out that her condition is treatable with injections during pregnancy, they are going to TTC again.

December 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
deleted... just because

Last edited by *CAMM*; December 7th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
December 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well... if it makes you feel better I almost died. I'm sure I matched most of you on numbers of injections given.

Forget it-- Bye.
December 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
like i said i didnt mean to be a b*tch but whatever...

December 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I hope that you are still lurking around here...

I'm sorry to hear about all these medical problems that make it such a challenge for you to have another child. My Aunt has the same thing, and managed to have 2 healthy kids, so I know that it is possible if managed the correct way.

Clomid tricks your body into thinking that you don't have enough Estrogen, so your body tries to produce more...so I'm thinking that won't be an option for you.

Without IVF or any fertility drugs, I'm also thinking that a reversal and natural IUIs might be the best option. A natural IVF cycle might be possible, but the cost will be pretty high, and I'm not sure the chances of pregnancy will be good enough to be worth it.

I hope your doc can help you find a good plan that you and DH can be excited about. Please feel free to ask questions here anytime.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
That being said please understand this board is MOSTLY full of women who didnt get pregnant when they went off birth control and I know that you dont mean for it to come off this way but your statement is hurtful.(it reminds ME that i just cant get pregnant that easily) especially this statement (that's what happens when they tell me I cant take BC)
I respectfully disagree. I didn't see anything wrong with that statement at all. She was explaining her situation, which thankfully gave her a beautiful child that I'm sure she is incredibly grateful for.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I said ME not the board...so I disagree....it was hurtful TO ME. I never said she wasnt grateful for her child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search