how long before

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
you got medical assistance to try to get preggo?
dh and tried for a year to have dd and we didn't prevent after her and kept track of my cycles we wanted babies kinda close. we finally got preg almost 2 years later but only carried for 15 weeks. so we've been trying again since june, and dh found out that he is deploying to Afghanistan in about 6 months (or so), i want to be pregnant before he leaves (i think) b/c if we wait dd will be 4 when he gets back and if it takes us what it has been she'll be at least 5...
is that even time to get with a dr to see whats going on? is it too early to even worry about finding out... i seem to follow in my mothers footsteps, she tried for 4 years got me and my brother 18 months apart and then it was 10 years till my sister....i just don't want that much time between then...

December 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Angel_Maker
I sought MA after 4 months of trying because I was completely (and still am) completely annovulatory. I had lots of testing done (which started in Jan 2007) but didn't actually get to start meds until April 2006. I got pregnant right away but lost my non viable conjoined twins at 16 weeks. We tried again for 2 years, and I just recently lost my third baby as you can see by my siggy.

Wishing you lots of luck
December 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can certainly talk with your OB about getting some help but 6 months isn't much time to get testing done. It can certainly take that long to get through it all, but maybe if you talk with your OB they can get you on some clomid right now so you guys can try at least a couple of cycles before DH leaves. Good luck!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
We tried for 9 months before going to OB for clomid and testing. 9 months and an RE later, we're still trying, but now with IUI and injects.

I think you could get quite a bit of testing done in one cycle: bloodwork, HSG, semen analysis and the like. If you don't want to start with all that, OB's may start with clomid and just a bloodwork tests.

If you chart or anything like that, some RE's will begin treatment earlier, knowing you have been actively trying. We charted the whole time as well, so that also helped paint a good picture for my RE and OB.

FX that you get your BFP before the deployment!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm very sorry for your loss I had the same experience as Brandi. I sought help after 3 months because my cycles wer 45 days long. It turns out I'm annovulatory and have been for some time (stupid PCOS). I got pregnant after 1 round of Femara, but lost the baby at 18 weeks. 6 months later after 3 more rounds of Femara and 1 IUI with injectibles I got pregnant again.

I got lucky because my regular GYN is primarily an RE, he just sees me for non-RE stuff because he is a family friend. I think seeking help after 6 months to a year of trying is pretty common.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
we had military doctors so they made us wait the entire year, EVEN THOUGH I knew I wasnt' ovulating. So we waited the year and the base hospital drug it out and we din't get to finally see an RE fertility dr util the 2 year mark.

December 8th, 2009, 08:50 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We tried for a year before seeing an OB/GYN. We worked with him for a few months, and he then recommended that we move on to an RE.

I'd say it definitely wouldn't hurt to start getting the tests done. The doc might find something simple that you can work on while DH is still here. At least the ball will be rolling and you'll feel like you are doing all you can to make this happen.

I'm sorry you are having to plan things around DH leaving; my DH is military also, so I know how deployments can throw a wrench into normal family plans. If you ever need another military wife to talk to, I'm here!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

December 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
Same here. We have had 3 deployments now all messing with our ttc efforts and another in the near future. But now my dh is with a civillian contractor.

December 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies, lots of good info, I guess i didn't think that the testing would take so long...lol...haven't really done much research yet, his deployment makes me more desperate, and i hate that. I have another month with a civilian dr, so maybe i should call her and see if we can things started

December 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
If I were in your shoes I would just make an appt with your doc and talk to them. I would share your experience of how long it took to conceive your first and your loss. I would think that they would look into things for you now if you explained your circumstances, but it really all depends on your doctor.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
With us, my PCP didn't refer us offbase to the RE until after 1 year of trying. However, with my endo, I could have gone sooner.

Good luck!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

December 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Here the RE won't even see you till the year mark unless there is a known problem and they've treated you before.

Also with the military it gets kinda tricky. DH and I tried for the year prior to him deploying. I didn't temp, but kept track of my cycles. He had to go to training right before going to Iraq so they all got a 3 days pass to come home prior to leaving the states. I got pregnant then but MCed. My BFF convinced me to finally seek MA. The RE agreed to do testing on me till DH came home. Even when he was home on leave he couldn't go to the RE for his testing because of Tricare. Also Tricare will only pay for testing, cycle monitoring, and clomid. They will not pay for IUI or IVF.

made by BAM

December 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
AllisonC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw my OB/GYN after ttc for 7 months, but I had been charting and knew there was a problem. She did testing the first month I was with her and started treating me with meds the very next cycle. I continued treatment with my OB/GYN for a year and was then refered to a RE. The RE did testing and treated me with meds/IUI during the first cycle after seeing her.
December 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
faysdt414's Avatar Mother, Crafter, OT
we were TTC for about 6 months when the doc let us start with assistance...

Ella Chaya: March 15, 2012 (8.14lbs)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search