Is it weird?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Angel_Maker
That we plan on changing the name of our adopted toddler???

He's most likely going to be between the ages of 12-18months (no older than 18 mo) and we plan on changing his name to Aaron Brewer.

There's a very good chance that he will be either 1/2 or full hispanic (which is what we want) but I just can't see walking around with a little Jose

I figure that we'll be changing his last name anyway, so is it really that big of a deal???? He will probably end up being called "Bubba" or something silly like that...so I don't know how attached he'd be to his given name anyway...what are your thoughts????
December 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Funny you posted this b/c I was just wondering about this the other day--I was telling DH about how you are adopting a toddler, and the thought about name changes crossed my mind.

I personally would feel the same way you do. What does your agency say, if anything, about it?
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Angel_Maker
I haven't asked, although I can't imagine it would be an issue.....I will bring it up at the home study.....
December 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would think most adoptive parents change their baby's name. My cousin is adopted from China and she isn't Wei-ming anymore. (It wasn't that exactly but close to it!) She is Julia Kathleen now, and she was 1 when they adopted her.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my friend adopted three kids, the first a 2 y/o boy who is hispanic and had a name like that. she changed his name to a scottish name, which is her husbands background. 'd' adjusted just fine, in fact he never even questioned it. i think he was so glad to have a mommy and daddy that took care of him that he responed to whatever they called him.

i believe it is your choice to change a name or not. if the child is like 5 or 6, probably not such a good idea, but a little one -- it can and does happen. GOOD LUCK!!

oh and a question brandi -- have you considered a sibling group? ETA: this is how my friend got her infant twins, by being open to more than one.

~~terre~~
December 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Super Mommy
I have a friend who adopted three kids the youngest was 3 or 4 and they let them all pick their new names, (they were coming from very bad homes so they didn't want someone finding them) with the lil one they 'helped' to pick. I think it's great to pick a new name, but you could incorporate his old name somehow...

December 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Angel_Maker
We have talked about adopting two at a time; however, we still would like to TTC one on our own, and we know we cannot afford three children...soooo, it's sorta out of the question..

Thank you for your input on the name change I'm happy to hear that it's not seen as "weird"
December 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
Brandi, a family friend of ours adopted from China and the little boy was 14 months old (and his name was Loo-Ming) and they changed it too Christopher. 5 years later, he has adjusted well and never even missed his name. I believe it would be fine
December 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
My nephew's "birth name" Julio Andras. They started the adoption (international) process when he was around 2 and he came home when he was 3 and a half. They changed his name to Felix. At first he would refer to himself as Juilo, but now (almost 7) if you say Juilo to him he has no idea who you are talking about.

His sister came home around 18 months(international adoption as well). Her birth name is Lesiba, well that defiantly needed to be changed! We started calling her Sage right away and that's the only name she knows now. She's now three.

Their little brother came home around 18 months as well (once again international adoption). His birth name was Alexander Elvis, named by the adoption lawyer he was placed with. I went with to pick him up and we started calling him Kash from the point he was in our custody. He also only knows that name.

All three have nicknames that they know, but they don't seem to remember their birth names.

Oh and all three have three names now, one first and two middle names. One of each of their middle names does have part of their "birth name" with some spelling changes.

made by BAM

December 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think its weird, you can do whatever you want, really. Our guys were 10 weeks old when we met them, their grandmother had explained where their names came from. We didn't feel it was fair to take away the one thing they were born with, their names, especially after 10 weeks. The only thing they'd ever had in their lives was the same name, that's all they came with. We kept their first and 2nd names, then added DH's first name (3 names total) and our last name. I wasn't in love with their names at first, but now I couldn't imagine calling them anything other than Arthur and Theodore, I'm in love with them, not their names
December 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I love the name you chose, Brandi, and I know many people who change the names of their adopted children, particularly little ones (like 2 and under). They transitioned it well and by the time these little ones were 3, they never even realized their names changed!

I agree: he will be so very, very happy to have a loving home that he'll just respond to your voice and whatever you call him!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 9th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Angel_Maker
Thanks girls, I spoke with our agency via email and they said that I will absolutely be able to change his name
December 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Another thing that I have read people do is keep their given name as a middle or third name. Just so they have that connection. I think it really depends on the age of the child. I have also heard of people adopting from a bad situation and letting the children pick new names, kind of like wiping the slate clean.

I think that your child will just be happy to be loved! He won't care what you call him. Jose, Aaron or Bubba... it all just means you love him!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search