Am I insane?!?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
DH and I are kind of considering trying an at home insemination. I found a place where I can buy a home kit really cheap. What do you think? Would you be willing to try this?

Northwest Andrology & Cryobank - Category
We are looking at the Deluxe kit.

We BOTH are just going a bit crazy realizing that we are 'on-hold' for a few months, and running out of time for a 2010 baby. When we first started trying we thought we were looking at an early 2007 baby.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the reason we are 'on-hold' at the moment is because we can't afford to do the monitoring and meds until after the first of the year, and my RE is more than an hour away so DH doesn't want me making regular trips in our sucky car until spring. The car runs fine..... just slides real good too! lol Not meant for winter driving!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!

Last edited by MountainMomma; December 9th, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
December 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm. The only thing I would be concerned about is the sterility of the items. (is sterility a word??? ) I just know when I had my IUIs done, everything was sterile and the nurse and RE wore gloves, had everything laid out very carefully, etc.

I would be concerned that an at-home kit might pose an infection risk. I would also be really nervous about inserting something up into my uterus---I would worry that I'd hit something or cut it or who knows else what!

I'm interested to see what other ladies on here think.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
No, you are not insane. I remember staring at that page, probably for hours, when we first started running into reproductive troubles. We ended up deciding that we weren't confident enough in our abilities...I didn't want to pernamently damage something down there that would keep us from having a successful pregnancy.

I think it is smart to keep all your options open, not insane!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
hMMM... I've never seen that, but I have read that the biggest risk is that the sperm isn't properly washed, and if it isn't, then it can cause problems because the entire capacitation process from swimming from vagina to uterus is to get those swimmers from the semen. If they aren't properly washed, it could cause major cramps and end up defeating the purpose.

I haven't reviewed the model (I'm actually interested in learning more) but that would be my greatest concern.

I say keep your eyes peeled for a forum of women who've tried it, and see if you find successes out there! It can't hurt to seek it out

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'm finding lots of successes just with the syringe (on other forums) but no one is admitting to using the catheter.

Does anyone know how big of a problem unwashed sperm can create? I mean... when he had his SA done, the doc was amazed at his numbers. As much as I can't believe I am about to admit this.... testing has DH and I (and even RE I guess) pretty convinced that I must have very hostile CM. Everything else has been normal. We just haven't had a post-coital test done because... well because I feel really weird about having sex in the doctors office and because of timing and distance to the RE, that's what we would have to do!

I'm not too worried about keeping things sterile. It's coming from a reputable clinic/cryobank and as long as we don't open it until we are actually using it.... it's all sterile when it's packaged.

I'll admit, it does make me a bit nervous, but mostly just because my DH shudders and says "EWW GROSS!" if I mention CM so not sure how he's going to handle doing this. lol I know he can DO it.... just don't want to feel like I am being inseminated by a two year old kwim?

December 9th, 2009, 10:17 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
From what I understand, unwashed sperm cause severe uterine cramping. But that's the limit on my knowledge of the subject.

As far as the actual insemination - my RE had my husband do the final steps of our IUI so conception would still be just us, and DH did it just fine!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 10th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Angel_Maker
Eeeehhh...I ordered Clomid from Mexico one time....so if you're insane, so am I
December 10th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
Hi Ladies.
I have tried this and I had no cramping and no isde affects. I also told my Dr we were trying it and she said to try it b/c it is worth a try.
It did not work for us b/c afterwards we found out I have a lot of Endo and also twisted tube that had to be removed.

I also know someone on the TTC#1 board who got there BFP using this I PM her this site and she used it At-Home Insemination Instructions - Fertility Plus
I hope this helps and if you have any question please PM me I've tried it at least 6 time before we had to strp due to surgery.

[SIZE="3"]

December 10th, 2009, 06:52 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you're crazy only b/c I know you! J/king girl!

Seriously though... I think it's worth a shot though like others I'd be worried about doing it myself... worried that I might damage something down there but it has obviously worked for some so it is def worth a shot!!!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
December 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
I think you're crazy only b/c I know you!

Well, of course I realize that! I mean.... even I know I'm CRAZY! lol Just was more concerned that my CRAZINESS had turned to INSANITY!

I think we probably are going to try it. I hope to get this ordered in time to have if for next cycle. Oh, and if I do get a BFP next cycle.... I would be due right around my Dad's birthday which couldn't be more appropriate since we are almost certainly naming a little boy after him. Next month is the three year anniversary of Dad's passing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search