IVF question....

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For those that have been through or those that are going through IVF right now, how did you decide it was time to move to IVF? Did you doctor recommend it or did you tell your doctor that's what your wanted next?

My history....
DH and I have been TTC #2 for over 2 years with one m/c during that time. I've already been through Clomid & IUIs. Had an HSG, which was normal. DH s/a is always perfect, with this last time having a count of 7 billion (yes, billion).

Had a lap in May where it was discovered that I have stage 3 endo. All endo and scar tissue was removed. One tube was twisted and aheard to my uterius, which was fixed during the lap. Afterwards, we had 6 "natural" cycles with no success. RE then suggested we try a couple more IUIs with Femara, which we just finished the first Femara + IUI cycle with no success. I'm not willing to do a second round of Femara & IUI because I don't feel like IUIs are working. From what I understand, IUIs is more for people where there is sperm issues. DH obviously doesn't have that problem.

I'm thinking my next and only option left is IVF, which terrifies me, but we're ready to move on because this infertilty thing has put a halt on everything in our life for the past couple years.

Sorry this was so long. I just want to know what everyones thought process was leading up to IVF? TIA!
December 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We did 3 natural IUIs with an OB/GYN, and then 3 more with my RE. I had done all the testing, including a lap before the last 3 IUIs, and nothing worked. At that point our options were to do injectables and IUI or move on to IVF, and both would be 100% out of pocket.

We were just as you described...we had passed the 2 year point of TTC, and felt like our lives were on hold because I couldn't get pregnant. I was tired of being miserable and depressed, so we had to do something. Injectables and IUI scared us too much with the risk of multiples, and we felt like we might be wasting money on that for a small chance of a pregnancy, when we could do IVF and have a 70% chance at a pregnancy. In the end, it seemed like IVF was the only logical choice, so we went for it. Needless to say, I have no regrets

It's a very personal decision, and only you guys know what is best for you. It is scary to move on to what most people consider a "last resort," but your chances of success are HUGE compared to anything else. Just make sure you are both 100% behind whatever decision you make, and I hope that your next step is the one that works for you!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats, Melissa! I've been lurking here for awhile and following your story! I'm so happy for you!

Yeah, we're to the point where we feel like we're wasting our money on IUIs. It costs us roughly a $1,000 every time we do a cycle with IUI with the meds, u/s, trigger, sperm wash and IUI. We could really use that $1K to put towards IVF because everything is out-of-pocket for us too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search