What do I do now?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
I'm in the process of getting my prolactin under control. I went from having too much to 0.2, so they cut my dosage and won't check me again till February. There is no RE is my area, closest is 3 hours away and that's not possible for us.

I just wanted to know what should I do next? I don't even know who my Dr is now since the one I was seeing moved and this is the only clinic I can go to because of my history.

I'm really lost and I feel like I'm stepping on toes posting here since I've had children already.

December 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I am sorry I don't have any insight on this info, but I really hope you can find a dr that is closer and can help you.

December 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Awww... don't feel bad posting here. A few of us have children already and, in my instance, I have secondary unexplained infertility, as it's coming on 18 months now without a bfp.

I am not sure about prolactin levels, but here are a few things you can do if you want to move things along:

Privatemdlabs.com is a place where you can order your own bloodwork and then get them done at a LabCorp near you (they are EVERYWHERE in the US) and they will email you your results. You can check on your prolactin levels as often as you need until you find they are at a nice "normal" level, and then take those results with you to your clinic and maybe they can speed things up a bit.

Are you getting clomid or injectibles or other treatment? Most non-RE's will just prescribe clomid without much monitoring, so if you go this way, you may be speeding things up without hurting anything. If you are going for injects (rare to be done without RE) then you'll need much more monitoring, and they may require more testing also.

If they cut your dosage, I bet you'll see a rise in no time and you can get moving along!

FX for you on this!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel bad about posting. A lot of us have children.

In my case, DH and I each have a 7 yr old from previous relationships. We are TTC our first together and are dealing with unexplained infertility. Secondary infertility is painful, primary infertility is painful...it all hurts! (((HUGS)))

I don't know anything about the prolactin but Gwynne had some good suggestions for you.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to the other ladies... don't feel bad at all! I don't really have any advice to offer, just support.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!

Last edited by ~InHisHands~; December 12th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
December 12th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to add that you should see if there is a plain old endocrinologist in your area. It's not a reproductive endo, but they still deal with a lot of hormone issues and might be able to help out too.

And Gwynne had some great ideas about getting some lab work done now so that you can bring those results to your OB when you can get an appointment.

And don't think twice about posting here. There are lots of ladies that are dealing with Secondary infertility on here, and some ladies that have had their first with MA and are back to try for their second. We certainly don't discriminate!! Good luck!!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 13th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Nope, no LabCorp here, that's 3 hours away, I've been there before.

I'm not on any meds other than the Dostinex and waiting for my levels to steady themselves takes patience and that's something John says I don't have. I can call the clinic on Monday, I think I've just been passed off to one of the other Dr's there which is Ok. The 2 female Drs there are very good and highly in demand. I may call them and leave a message asking what my options are at this point.

I guess I don't want to end up with another label on me. I'm going to be 33 and I don't want to eventually have that 'advanced maternal age' label on me or my chart! I know it really means nothing but still, it's kind of insulting, what gives them the right. I already have loads of 'labels'! High risk, re-peat c-section, blah blah. I feel like I am in a race here!

I'm trying to be active in my medical care mainly because I feel if you don't, you are not going to get the answers or treatment you really need. I want to know lots of things. I know my condition isn't a common one and I know this is a med that I may be on the rest of my life not just for TTC. I may have to take it to stop the mass on my pituitary gland from growing. Now you can't take it during pregnancy and you can't take it if you breastfeed. I would gladly deal with the little problems I get from having high prolactin just to be pregnant and breastfeed for a minimum of 6 months!

Anyway, I guess what I really wanted to know is where do you really start? Clomid? Femara? We can't afford injectables till 2011-12 and I hope I never need them. You ladies that have to have them are far stronger than I am. I would gladly give you ladies my eggs if I could! Seriously.

Do you have to start with Clomid? or can you put your foot down and ask them for .......

I don't know where to begin! I've gotten this far on my own and I've told DH about you all before and he suggested I ask you.

December 13th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherFrog View Post
Anyway, I guess what I really wanted to know is where do you really start? Clomid? Femara? We can't afford injectables till 2011-12 and I hope I never need them. You ladies that have to have them are far stronger than I am. I would gladly give you ladies my eggs if I could! Seriously.
Awwww... you're so sweet Michele!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherFrog View Post
Do you have to start with Clomid? or can you put your foot down and ask them for .......
I think you already know that I'm not very far into this at all (actually my first RE appt is tomorrow). The other ladies on this board are much more experienced in MA than I am. But here's my story... I have low progesterone so I was prescribed Clomid as the first step (by my OB ). I got pg using it but since the m/c Clomid hasn't worked for me so now I've been referred to the RE. From what I gather on here the next step is Femera or Injectables. Actually I have heard one success story, similar to mine, where she didn't respond to Clomid at all but got pg on the first cycle on Femera so that's really all I know at this point but I can come back & let you know what we discuss at the RE's office tomorrow (if this one doesn't get cancelled too DH is sick... poor thing! )

Rick Warren

December 13th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Hiya Amanda! XOXO

I'd like to start with Femara, I've heard the side effects aren't nearly as bad as they are with Clomid. I don't think DH is going to like me much on the Clomid. I've had several friends on it and they were a little mean but I know they couldn't help it.

December 13th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First of all, you are aboslutely right. Especially in the world of MA. You have to put your foot down sometimes and you HAVE to be your own advocate. It's your body and it's YOUR future baby! You do only what you feel comfortable doing and that might mean skipping Clomid and trying Femara first.

I don't think there would be a problem skipping Clomid and starting with Femara. If anything, if you don't respond well to Femara then they can try Clomid after that. They say not to do more than 6 consecutive months on Clomid and I'm not sure about Femara. Past that I don't think there is much to try before the injectables world. And of course, you can pair either of those drugs with an IUI, which some OB offices do, and that will increase your chances also.

Good luck! Let us know if you figure out who your new DR is and what she has to say!

*** Oh and if you are going to try Femara there is a coupon you can try and use.... it was posted in another topic awhile back.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...ra-coupon.html (Free Femara coupon)

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 13th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Thanks Kari, I got the voucher!

I'm going to call on Monday and see what they have to say. Dr's around here pretty much do what you want but it's just getting to them. They mentioned on the news that in this county alone there are roughly 2,000 mommies to be. That just makes it a little harder to be seen since I am limited to the one clinic.

December 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I've heard a lot of ladies that swear by Femera & could care less about Clomid! Actually I think I was one of the lucky ones... I never got very bad s/e's with the Clomid. I did occasionally get hot flashes but I really think that was about it.

Kari, thank you so much for that link!!!

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search