Totally off topic!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so angry! And sad!

My grandparents are 87 and 88, and have been married for 65 yrs. They are in GREAT shape---grandpa still plays golf, they travel, etc.

Anyway, last week my grandma lost her diamond engagement ring. The ring is not really worth much of anything, but to her, it's priceless. The ring was from my grandfather's mother's family; it's been in the family for probably 125 years!

So my grandma is pretty sure she lost it at Target or the Olive Garden. Those were the two places they went and she took her gloves off. The ring had a ring guard on it, and they think it came unhinged somehow. It's *possible* she lost it at home but they have searched from top to bottom and my mom even went out and helped look through their cars, their bed, the washing machine, dryer, all over the floors, etc.

So--this happened last Thursday. On Saturday, my grandpa ran an ad in the paper, offering a $1000 reward. Sunday they got a call from a man claiming to be a truck driver. He said he had "bought" a ring from someone who had found it. He asked my grandparents where the ring was lost and they said either Target or Olive Garden. He said "which Target?" and they gave him the location and he said "ok, yes." He asked them to describe the ring and my grandpa said it had 3 small diamonds and a ring guard and the man again said "yes."

In HINDSIGHT, he wasn't really giving THEM info, he was just "agreeing" with whatever they said.

So anyway, he said he had purchased it for $250 from someone who "found" it. He said that he looked in the St Louis paper when he heard it was found b/c he knew someone was missing it. He told my grandparents that he was a trucker and was in Chicago now but heading to Memphis in a couple days.

My grandparents pushed for how to get the ring and he kept saying he would call them when he was coming back through STL. They told him they would give him the $1000 reward and he kept saying no, that wasn't necessary. In hindsight, I think that was his way of getting them to trust him.

It all sounded "plausible" but when DH and I had dinner w/them on Sunday night, DH was concerned that something was fishy and asked if HE could have the man's # so he could call him and arrange a pickup. My grandpa is very "proud" and just said "no, no" and DH didn't push it. But on the way home we talked about how it all sounded great, but we sure hoped it was legit.

So yesterday I guess the trucker called my grandparents and said he wanted to mail them the ring via UPS. ACTUALLY, apparently, mailing it was my grandma's idea or so she says. They proposed that the trucker take the ring to a local jeweler in Chicago and have them mail it. The trucker agreed.

In the meantime, he is telling them all about his wife Lisa and their 3 sons, yada yada. Anyway, he finally tells them that he REALLY doesn't want the $1000, even though they were insisting, but that $400 should be fine. Then he can recoup what he paid for the ring plus a little extra. So he tells my grandparents that they should Western Union the money to Chicago. He gives them a specific address, his name, etc.

AUUGHHHHH. I WISH I would have talked to them yesterday b/c I would have said NO, NO, NO. AT LEAST send a certified check or something that can be TRACED to who cashes it!!!! But they didn't. He gave them instructions to go to a grocery store and send the money. And they are clueless, they wouldn't know the first thing about any of this! They just totally trusted him!

Anyway, they send him the stupid money and then call him and tell him it's done and he says he will head STRAIGHT to a local jeweler and arrange shipping and he'll call them within the hour. No call comes. Finally, they call him back and there's no answer.

Then this morning they called him again and the jack@$$ has disconnected his phone. I am guessing it was one of those prepaid phones! My bet--the jerk does this all the time! I bet he goes through the papers and looks for ads for lost items w/rewards and plays this SCAM on people.

So my grandparents call infomation w/the address he gave them---of course it's bogus. I'm sure his name and his wife's name are also fake.

I am just SICK over this. My grandma sounded really upset/angry and she kept telling me this is worse than losing the ring the first time. She was SO OVERJOYED to think she was getting her ring back, and it breaks my heart b/c on Sun. night they kept going on about how NICE this man was, what a GOOD person he was to do this, etc.

My DH is feeling really terrible b/c he had a "bad" feeling about this, but didn't want to push them too much about it, as they are grown adults! But he just said he really, really wanted to talk to the guy himself to a)get a feel for him and b) maybe pick a place to meet. My DH was offering to drive somewheere to meet this trucker on his way to Memphis.

Anyway, it's pretty clear the guy never had the ring in the first place. And I don't know if my grandparents can somehow find him? Anyone knwo how Western Union works? I mean, SOMEBODY had to pick up the cash at Western Union...is there any way of finding out who? Do you need ID to do so? The money was western-unioned to Chicago.

REALLY--it's NOT about the money at all. My grandparents could care less about that---it's the RING and now it's the fact that this sick person took advantage of them and treated them like DIRT. I am SO ANGRY.

The other scary thing---yesterday on the phone, he said "oh, I will ship it to ___" and he gave them their address. My grandpa said "We didn't give you our address" and the guy claimed to have done a reverse search w/their phone number. HMMMPH. My grandparents are very well-off, and it BOTHERS ME immensely that this jerk knows where they live! I am really concerned for their safety.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Wow, that is scary and really, really sad. I can't imagine taking advantage of anyone like that...especially sweet old grandparents! I hope the ring turns up somewhere soon...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, this sickens me and he deserves what he'll end up getting. Your poor grandparents. Older people are such vulnerable people, especially when their hearts really want to believe the story. I'm so, so sad for them, Jordan. God, I hope they can find that ring! I hope it is at home and they just missed it, or stuck in her glove or pocket or even in the car somewhere!

What a horrible incident. Your poor grandparents!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Just lurking but did you call the police and the Western Union the money was wired too? Maybe they can reverse the wire transfer and/or see who picked it up? And western unions have cameras that should have caught the guy picking up the money on tape. I hope this works out!
December 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is totally absurd! I would also report this to the proper authorities. I would think that Western Union would be able to give you some kind of information!

Good luck finding the ring... I really hope it turns up!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What a jerk! I hate when people scam, it's just not right and how can that man sleep at night is what I want to know.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search