new to TTCMA with introduction and question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2009, 09:11 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies! I've been lurking on your board for awhile and decided to officially introduce myself. I typically post on TTC, but I'm about to start the MA part in January. Here's some info on me:

Me: 34
DH: 42
TTC for 6 months

I've been charting and doing OPKs for 4 months and have ovulated each month. My 7 dpo progesterone was 11.

DH had SA done in November and the results are:

Count: 221 million
Motility: 83%
Morphology: 3% normal

The lab director who performed the SA said that because DH's morphology was so low, the RE would probably recommend going straight to IVF. We met with a Urologist and he said the low morphology was absolutely nothing to worry about because the count and motility were so high. Needless to say, we're confused!

My Ob/Gyn recommended I have an HSG in January, but my insurance doesn't cover the procedure. She said we could do a lap in a few months where she could check my tubes while checking for endo. That procedure *would* be covered. I've always had painful periods and believe I could possibly have endometriosis so I'm considering doing this in March/April.

Here's my question: My Ob/Gyn prescribed 50 mg of Clomid for 3 cycles to give me a "stronger ovulation." I thought that was a bit unusual. Have you heard of anyone taking Clomid when she already ovulates naturally? Should we seek a 3rd opinion on the low morphology?

Thank you so much!!!
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

December 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I also ovulated on my own every month, but was given 50mg Clomid for a stronger O. A stronger ovulation can help you produce more progesterone, which will help support a possible pregnancy. You could also have more than one follicle...I always had 2 when taking 50mg of Clomid, so I was doubling my chances each month.

I think the lap is a great idea. I had one this past January; insurance covered it, and I wanted to rule out endo or any other possible problems that could be preventing us from conceiving. I thought the recovery was really easy, and just knowing that everything in there was a-okay really helped me be positive about our treatments working. If you have any questions about the lap, I'll be happy to answer them.

I can't help too much on the MFI issue, but I'm sure the other girls will jump in and help you out on that! Welcome to the board, and I hope that you can get some answers very soon!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

December 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I also wanted to ditto Melissa's comment that I think a lap would be a good idea- mainly because you mentioned painful periods. I had one in August due to painful periods (and they did the HSG-like thing called a chromotubation while they were in there to check the tubes) and they found a lot of endo in me. I think it would be wise to get that checked out first and cleared out so your eggie is on the right path.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but even with the extreme endo that I have, while I was on Clomid, my periods were less painful. Hopefully Clomid is all you will need and you won't have to look any further down the road!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

December 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to Jackie and Melissa! Good luck and hang around if you'd like. There are a lot of ladies with a wealth of knowledge here for you to learn from!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!

I also O on my own, but have been on Clomid in the past. First, it was prescribed by my reg. OBGYN and then we did three Clomid + IUI cycles with our RE.

I had a lap (my second one actually) just about 6-7 weeks ago.

I had one initially in 2001 (not TTC, but had long cycles and painful cramps) to check for endo. Nothing was found and then I actually got pregnant the month after with my DD7.

Then with my last lap. it was simply b/c it's part of my RE's protocol before any other treatments. We thought my HSG had revealed tubal blockage, so we did the lap. to get a better idea of what was going on in there. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that my tubes are all clear, just a teeny spot of endo was found, but nothing that would indicate a cause for infertility.

Anyway, I then got pregnant last cycle---first cycle after the lap. Unfortunately, it didn't stick, but at least we know I CAN get pregnant!

I am a big believer in the laparoscopy, obviously, as I think it gives me a boost in fertility! It is a fairly simple procedure with a quick recovery time--I would not hesitate to do it again.

I don't know about the morph issue, but I'd be inclined to listen to the urologist who specializes in these issues, rather than the lab person. JMO.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello & I'm Amanda & I'm in AL too!!!

I was put on Clomid b/c I had a progesterone defect but by all indications (according to my chart) I O so I don't really think it is unusual to use Clomid to help improve O.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
December 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I just wanted to add with those numbers, there are still 5 million GOOD sperm!
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
December 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Thank you ladies for the excellent information and warm welcome to your board. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Today is 4 dpo, so it's *possible* that I could be pregnant this month! What a wonderful Christmas present that would be!
TTC baby #2

IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN

December 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey hun! I just introduced myself on here also!!!! My Dh's morph was low too but the RE said not to worry because all the other counts were so high! Well I'm glad I already know someone over here!

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
December 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie7 View Post
Hey hun! I just introduced myself on here also!!!! My Dh's morph was low too but the RE said not to worry because all the other counts were so high! Well I'm glad I already know someone over here!
I'm glad to have a "friend" over here too!

Do you mind sharing your DH's SA results? I've been scouring the internet for information and everything I've found says that with only 3% morphology we'll have to do IVF. I was so surprised to hear the Urologist say otherwise. I'm glad to hear that your RE agrees that it won't be a problem.
TTC baby #2

IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN

December 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Um I don't remember off the top of my head bc the RE called with the results but the morph was right around your husbands (about3%) . and everything else was real high just like your husbands. I will ask them more questions about the morphology. I go for beta blood work if AF does not show up on Sunday. So when they call with the results and what my next step is I will ask about the low morphology ( my RE is really really good and well known). I'll fill you in on what he says!

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
December 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Jamie!! I hope and pray AF doesn't arrive on Sunday! She's supposed to visit me next Saturday, so I'm planning to test Christmas Eve. Fingers crossed!!
TTC baby #2

IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN

December 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
hello! im jessie! i just wanted to add in my dh has 1% morph and our RE automatically said ivf..we are in our first cycle of iui..he told us the uroligist wouldnt do anything..but all his other counts are high..so im glad you brought that up..we figured we would just TRY iui first since its cheaper..ive had people come on here and tell me that iui worked for them in the same situation! but i hope and pray af doesnt show for ya!! Oh ya..and just the other day they told us there was a couple who had 0% morph and did it all on their own! Good luck to you!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
December 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Ok girlfriend here is the skinny. So after talking to you on here I researched morphology the whole rest of the night with DH and needless to say we freaked out. He's morph turned out to be 1% (I found the paper I wrote everything on)! Everything on the internet said IVF only. So this morning after having a break down while ironing my work clothes I called my nurse at the RE office however she is out until the 28th!!!! So not comfortable talking to the on call nurse I called my good friend who is also a nurse at the same RE place. She know what I am going through but not about DH sperm count so I called her and proceeded to break down yet again (that's twice before 8am, pretty impressive) lol! She said, stop don't worry the RE would have never said IUI if he did not think it would work. She said They are a very aggressive office and cut right to the chase. She said RE's sperm grading is very very hard (and she said the andrology guy in my office is a total a** and never gives anyone perfect sperm.) THe grading in most RE's office is where they spread the sperm on a grid and look at only a few of the grid boxes. If there is only a few sperm that look good morphology wise they put 0%. So chances are your hubby has an ok morphology. Also, she said men are not like women in terms of we are given at birth what we have for the rest of our life. Guy's sperm count can change with each sample. Well hope that my novel gave you some piece of mind lol!

December 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I don't remember all the numbers on my dh's semen analysis but I believe his count was 36 million and his morphology was 5%. Your dh might have a low morphology but he has a really high count so that should compensate.

I also have taken Clomid even though I already ovulate. The reason for me was not to make my ovulation stronger though. I only have one tube so he wanted to make sure that I was ovulating on my left side.

Welcome to the M/A board. Good luck with everything.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Thank you for sharing your stories Jessie and Patty! I love hearing what other RE's say and different courses of treatment. I also love to hear that
someone with 0% got pregnant naturally!!!

Jamie, thank you for being so diligent in your research! I'm SO sorry you had a difficult morning with two breakdowns. Honey, at this point I've had quite a few myself. Your friend sounded optimistic so I'll trust that!

I'm 6 dpo today and of course analyzing every single thing. I just had a really strong cramp that literally made me double over. Could that be implantation? I *think* my nipples are a little darker too. Aggghhhh!! I swear every month that I will NOT do this to myself. Yet here I am.

Gosh I hope this is the month.
TTC baby #2

IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN