Need to hear success stories of IUI working after 4 failed attempts

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bkro9
  • 1 Post By *Melissa*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM
momma S's Avatar Super Mommy
I am 15dpiui and got another BFN this morning. I am having a pity party today that I am not enjoying much. IVF isn't really an option we are considering too much at this point because it is 2 hours away and $$$. We will be starting IUI #5 this month providing AF shows up soon. We will be doing follstim, ovidril and IUI. I know the success rate after having so many failed ones isn't so great so I am wondering what others experiences are. I need to hear something positive before I commit myself to a padded room.
December 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm sorry you got another BFN We did 6 IUIs, 3 natural and 3 medicated. I kept thinking the next one would work because there are lots of success stories out there. I hope #5 is the one that works for you!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

December 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
bkro9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It only took me one IUI but my very good friend got her BFP on her 5th and last IUI. So you just never know.
smsturner likes this.

December 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
OOOHHH I have a success story for you!!
First of all, when I had my initial consult with my RE, he told me that 2/3 of women will bring home a baby after 5 to 6 IUI's

Well, we used clomid and IUI for the first 4, all BFN's, then we switched to repronex, injectibles, and IUI for the 5th cycle... BFN, my 6th cycle we did the same protocal, repronex, IUI and BOOM we got our BFP!!!!!!

Now I have my little son!!! I started getting very concerned when it wasn't happening by the 5th IUI, but DONT GIVE UP!!!!!
smsturner likes this.
December 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I love those success stories! I don't have one, as we are on our 2nd right now, but I have read that there are many, many women who get bfp's on their 5th or (ug) 6th shot. That's why so many RE's say give IUI's 3-6 tries and then move on to something else. You may want to review your protocol and see if you can change things up, but other than that, it may still be very, very hopeful!

I'm sorry you got that BFN. They are devastating and those pity parties are really hard to get through, but know we are here for you and have ((HUGS)) for you here!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
It is just so hard since we got pg on the second IUI with my son. I am starting to have a break down when people ask me when we are having our next child...

Melissa- Did you have other medical reasons that you took repronex and injectables? I tried reading about it and it says it was for women who couldn't produced or mature eggs. I don't really have problems with that. What injectable did you use and how much of it?
December 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I have PCOS- and yes you may not have the same problem, but the thing is... each time we did the IUI i ALWAYS had a mature follicle and DH had a good sperm count... everything was there for conception, but even with things being perfect it still took 6 tries.
So I guess I'm just trying to say, don't give up! After the 6th IUI however, we started making plans for IVF. I wouldn't have g one over 6 attempts, not because of financial reasons, but emotional... we could handle the ups and down of ttc any longer, it was becoming too painful.

Goodluck hun! I hope you are suprised and get your BFP very soon!!!
December 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks Melissa We have low morph, DH usually has 2% out of 20-32 million after the wash. My cycles have been getting shorter and shorter as we keep doing this. I o'd on cd 10 this time and cd 11 the last two times before that. I feel like it is just too early to be o'ing! I hope it works pretty soon, because emotionally it is too taxing on me every month... plus I have never heard of anyone doing more than 6 IUI's, maybe they all just turn to IVF after #6?
December 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
no i haven't heard of anyone doing more than 6, and I would deffinatly step up and be your own advocate and push for IVF after the 6th attempt.
I didn't realize it was a sperm factor. If it's really really low I personally would push for IVF a little sooner. From what I've read IUI's are not too terribly effective when the sperm count is below 20 million.
December 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I am not sure finacially we can handle the IVF route, not a cent is covered... It is also 2 hours away! We could do IVF right now if we wanted to. I got pg with the same low morph the first time and the doctor doesn't seem concered by it and I bring it up every time! The 20-30 million is the good sperm and he feels that is enough to make it work. I just hope I am making the right decison to try again.
December 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a success story for you but wanted to wish you luck in whatever you decide!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma S View Post
I am not sure finacially we can handle the IVF route, not a cent is covered... It is also 2 hours away! We could do IVF right now if we wanted to. I got pg with the same low morph the first time and the doctor doesn't seem concered by it and I bring it up every time! The 20-30 million is the good sperm and he feels that is enough to make it work. I just hope I am making the right decison to try again.
I know that IVF may not be financially feasible...but have you spoken to your RE or had a consult about it? I know there are some programs available to women whose insurance covers nothing. A friend of mine did IVF and was given a pretty substantial grant because nothing was covered...it was enough to allow them to go through with it.

You may have already mentioned this...but how many mature follies do you have when you go into your IUI? Given your DH's sperm count, they may want to play with your dose to give you a few extra follies (especially as this is your 5th round). One or two mature ones may not give you the best chances with your DH's count. Three-four could give you better odds but still is not terribly dangerous, typically. Just a thought...

We did injections and two IUI's (BFP on our second). However, our situation is much different in that I have pcos and did not usually O on my own. DH's count was great, so I think that's why IUI's were pretty successful for us. But because of the differing circumstances, it's hard to compare success rates with iui.

Good luck I know how daunting and exhausting it is to throw so much of yourself into a cycle, only to have it fail. You'll find a lot of support here...
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

December 20th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
(((HUGS))) hon. I know how frustrating and hard it is to see one failed cycle after another.

Amanda had some good thoughts for you!

My DH and I did 3 Clomid + trigger + IUI cycles and they all failed. Then we got pg all on our own, with just Follistim and BDing!

I know that's not exactly the stat you're looking for but, my point is, we were able to get pg without IVF after failed IUI attempts! So I DEFINITELY think that one of these IUIs could work for you---you just never know!

You have just been doing Clomid, right? I would most definitely think it's time to switch to a different protocol like Follistim or something. Amanda is right about the low morph/lots of follies. I would think if you could have 3-4 GOOD follies that would be great!

I'm sorry you're frustrated, but hang in there and give injectibles + IUI a try.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 20th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
We didn't have IUI and DH has a descent SA, our biggest issue was a chromosomal one. We did 50mg clomid, trigger, and TI. Our RE wanted to see 3-4 follicles to increase the chances of success. We got pregnant on our last cycle of that (6 total) then the RE was going to change meds and move onto IUI.

made by BAM

December 20th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagirl80 View Post
I know that IVF may not be financially feasible...but have you spoken to your RE or had a consult about it? I know there are some programs available to women whose insurance covers nothing. A friend of mine did IVF and was given a pretty substantial grant because nothing was covered...it was enough to allow them to go through with it.

You may have already mentioned this...but how many mature follies do you have when you go into your IUI? Given your DH's sperm count, they may want to play with your dose to give you a few extra follies (especially as this is your 5th round). One or two mature ones may not give you the best chances with your DH's count. Three-four could give you better odds but still is not terribly dangerous, typically. Just a thought...
I am not seeing an RE, there isn't one in my area and I have googled forever and asked every doctor I see. I did switch from my reg dr to a better one in my clinic that does injectables and is highly respected for treating infertility. I have talked to the IVF place for about 30 min on the phone last month and they have no grants or things like that It was $15,000 and that wasn't including everything. I would have US here and they are $300 a piece plus the meds. Travel is also 2 hours each way. I am looking into another IVF place that I may like a little better than the one I talked to already.

I have done 2 rounds with 50 mg clomid producing about 2 follies, then we did one injectable round with follistim and that resulted in only two follies, then we did 100 mg clomid and that had 2 possibly 3 follies. I asked the dr about upping the follistim and he said we could a little bit, but doesn't want to do it too much because it will make my lead follicle just grow bigger faster since I stim so quick (O'd on CD 10 last month!). I do want more follies though! I just don't know what to do.

My other problem is I stim so fast! I have an US on cd 9 and usually end up doing the IUI on day 10 or 11. The longer I do this the quicker I seem to stim.

I am rambling now... thanks for making it through that post!

TTCagain-

Did you have any male factor??? What dose of follistim were you on and how many follies did you get with it?

Last edited by momma S; December 20th, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
December 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't have male factor. This last cycle was my first time on Follistim and I started out 100 units, and 100 units the second day. Then I dropped down to 75 units, and did that for three more days. Then I had an u/s and I had a bunch of 9 mm follies on my right ovary. I had one big one on my left at 18 mm and one at 13 mm and one at 12 mm, and bunch of smaller ones. I did one more dose of 75 units that night and triggered 24 hrs after THAT. So we are guessing that maybe the 12/13 mm ones matured by the time I O'd. But I will never know for sure. It totally could have just been that one 18 mm one.

I also stimmed quickly--my last follie check was on CD9, I believe, and then I triggered 36 hrs after that, on CD10.

I was planning on talking w/my RE about either a higher dose, or maybe a lower dose for longer. From what I've read/heard, if you are a quick stimmer, a lower dose for longer can help produce more mature follies.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

December 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I was on the lowest does of follistim... 75 units cd3-9 and I o'd on day 11 that time. I couldn't imagine going lower than 75?

What about the femara/injectable combo I hear about... anyone know what makes that any better?
December 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Have you talked about taking it later in the cycle? I know when we had our first consult with the RE he said he starts everyone on clomid cd3-7, but if you seem to O earlier he changes it to cd5-9.

made by BAM

June 4th, 2015, 05:34 PM
We were blessed with success on our sixth IUI! If ever there was a cycle were we didn't think it would work this was it. Two days after getting AF, I went in for a laproscropy. The surgery went well and very tiny amount of endometriosis was removed, but the doctor didn't think that was what was causing our fertility problems. On one hand I was happy I didn't have endo but on the other I was disappointed to yet again have no explanation for our fertility problems. Two weeks after surgery, I went back to the doctor to see if it would be possible to do an un-medicated IUI. They found one follicle at 12mm and told me to come back five days later to see how much it grew. I was desperate to get this IUI done. I didn't think it would be successful, but my insurance will cover IVF after six failed IUIs so I wanted to get this over with. At the second appointment, they discovered that the follicle had gotten smaller- it was 8mm! I was very upset that this cycle would be cancelled. However at that point I started gonal and came back four days later to discover that I had overresponded; a few days later I had 14 follicles but all very small. The largest one was 14mm. The nurse said we had to trigger at this point and we did. I did back to back IUIs- my doctor does an IUI the morning after trigger which I have never liked so by doing back to back I got an IUI in 36 hours after trigger. After that, the two week wait really wasn't a big deal. I had such small follicles and the success rates are not great after five IUIs so I wasn't stressed. Two weeks later what I thought was AF started to come. I bleed for two days before my scheduled beta. When I went in, we started planning my IVF and I even got my prescriptions started. Much to my shock, two hours later the nurse called to say that my HCG levels were "marginally pregnant" but it was so low that it was unlikely to be successful. Well after over two and half years of trying, five medicated IUIs, five monitored and medicated cycles, that was nearest to success we had ever come so I was thrilled to learn that it was at least possible for us to get this far. Two days later, much to everyone's surprise, my HCG was 54 and a week later it was in the 1700s. I had the amazing pleasure of my first u/s and can't tell you how awesome it was to see my baby. I know how horrible the process is and wanted to share a success story in the hopes that it will help others get through. This is a wonderful website that I learned so much from, and I am thankful to so many others who have provided me inspiration.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search