Using another clinic just for an u/s cause it is cheaper?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
momma S's Avatar Super Mommy
Ultrasounds at my dr office are $300, my friends at her clinic are $137. Do you think I could call her clinic (in the same hospital as my dr office) and ask if I could get an u/s there and have them send the results to my doctor??? I am thinking they will say no, but it is worth a try. WDYT???
December 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
My doc's office charged the same as an imaging place a block away. I asked if he minded me going to the imaging place because they were SO MUCH MORE thorough and he said sure... then this cycle, he said all monitoring through him, so no to the outside imaging place...

Most RE's want you to stay with them, and they charge an arm and a leg for u/s just because they can, for the reason that they don't "let" you go elsewhere. It doesn't hurt to ask, for sure. Is this other clinic a fertility clinic? If they have good results, it could be worth checking out for a switch if you need to save $ and they have a good rep and results and you aren't happy with the current RE.

Certainly, it doesn't hurt to ask!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My RE's office is about an hour and a half drive one way, so when we moved on to him we immediately asked if there was somewhere in our town that we could do our monitoring and b/w so that we could avoid the drive. He said yes! We do all our u/s and b/w here in town and only have to drive for our sit down consults and any major procedures that are done. I have to add that my RE and the Reproductive Health Program that I get my monitoring done at are very close... so that helped.

If it's just a price thing that would be hard to ask about, but if it's closer and more convenient for you, try approaching that way and see what happens. It never hurts to ask!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Kari- Both places are in the same hospital building... LOL! So, yes it is just a price thing...
December 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
To me, quality matters much, much more than price. We're in the same boat as Kari...RE's office is 2 hours away, but we drive there for everything. Even a blood draw that takes 5 minutes...I get up at 5:00am and make the trip. I was hesitant to do this at first, but I trust my RE with my life. He is incredibly thorough, knowledgeable, and a really wonderful person on top of it all. IVF would have been cheaper at another clinic in the same city, but we chose to stick with my doc because we trust him to do it right.

Maybe you could try the other clinic out and see if they are even any good?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Melissa- My friend who goes there also is doing IUI's and doesn't like her doctor but loves the nurses, so I won't switch!

My biggest problem is no one is an RE. The dr I am seeing now is the closet to one I can find here. I do feel comfortable with my dr now, he knows what he is doing and listens to what I want.
December 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't give up good quality to save money. I only used the clinic that I go to because my RE respects them, often does some initial consultations up here and recommended them to me when I asked.

It still wouldn't hurt to bring it up to your "RE" about getting your u/s done elsewhere. Maybe you can bring up an insurance change or something.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search