How weird is this?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I got a message from my RE's office that I tested negative for Rubella. (this was from all my initial bloodwork prior to starting Follistim.) This means, according to what the nurse said in the voicemail, that I am NOT immune to Rubella (german measles) and that my RE is recommending I ask my primary physician to give me the vaccine.

I KNOW I got vaccinated as a child with the whole MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) series.

So how common is it for the vaccine to wear off?

I guess rubella is very dangerous if you're pregnant. So I am wondering do I need to get the shot ASAP before we conceive again? I put a call into my reg. MD but haven't heard back yet. I think I might ask my DD's pediatrician what he thinks, as he was also my pediatrician as a child. I want to know how typical it is for the vaccine to wear off.

Has anyone heard of this?

Darn it---I was reading about this online and it sounds like rubella can be dangerous for a fetus if the mother contracts it during pregnancy. It also says the vaccine should NOT be given to pregnant women, or to a woman who might become pg within 1 month of receiving the shot. I'm going to O in the next few days!!!! AUUGHHHHH. What should I do? I really do NOT want to take the month off from TTC!!!

I mean, I had all this bloodwork done over a month ago and my RE went ahead and let me do my Follistim cycle; had my last pregnancy lasted, I would have already been pregnant and unable to get the vaccine, so then what would have happened?

Is it dumb of me to go ahead with TTC this month? I mean, what are the odds of me contracting RUBELLA? KWIM?
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

Last edited by TTCagain; December 21st, 2009 at 10:47 AM.
December 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... I would see what your RE has to say. Did they tell you to take this month off?

I think I wouldn't want to take the month off if I were in your position either. But it is a risk, especially if you are in contact with DD's elementary school friends who maybe haven't been vaccinated.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
When I had my IUD removed, they did bloodwork and tested me for rubella immunity. They told me then that if I wasn't immune, I should get the shot because it would be dangerous if I contracted it.

Did you get an MMR booster around 6th grade? They didn't used to do that; my class in school was the first to be offered the extra booster.

I don't know what to suggest...it's a sticky situation!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

December 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
That's strange to me, the MMR doesn't require a booster (I mean other than the initial and booser given as babies). If you're certain you got vaccinated as a child, then I would have your RE re-test you to be sure that result is correct. If it still comes back with no immunity, then I guess you'll have to assume there was an issue with your vax or that it's worn off (no idea on the probability there or if it's even possible). As for the timing, I think you'll need to discuss that one with your RE.

December 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I had the same thing happen... and I have already been pregnant once! So, I decided to try that month and then, when BFN and a cyst the next month (June) sidelined me anyway, I got the shot.

I thought and thought about it, and the percentages of contracting rubella is very, very limited. I went ahead with that cycle, but did eventually get the shot with a cancelled cycle.

You need to wait 28 days from the shot before getting pregnant for the reasons you described.

Take care and I hope you are at peace with the decision you make!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!

Gwynne, DH and I also decided to continue to try this month, anyway. I am already on CD13 and having EWCM and am pretty sure I will O within the next few days. We talked about it and decided that the possibility of contracting rubella is very small. I mean, I have certainly never known anyone who had it, you know?

The way I see it---many women (most, probably!) who are not immune don't find out until they get pregnant and have bloodwork done. At that point, it is too late to get the vaccine. If it weren't for MA, I wouldn't have known this until I got pg anyway.

When I was pg with DD, this was never mentioned. So either I a) wasn't tested for the immunity or b) I was immune at that point in time.

I did talk with my primary care dr and unfortunately HE said that they recommend you wait THREE MONTHS after getting the shot before TTC.

DH and I talked and just decided the chances of contracting rubella are so minor. We are going ahead with this month, and trying. Honestly, I don't see us taking a 3 month hiatus from TTC at all, really, for this issue. I may reconsider if we don't get pg this cycle, and do some more research regarding that wait.

ETA---Kari, no, that was the weird thing! My RE did not say anything about preventing this month. All that was said was that I tested negative for rubella and that meant I was not immune to it, and my RE was recommending I contact my reg. MD to get the vaccine. The problem here is, it honestly could be too late. We BDd last night and the night before and the night before. If I O in the next couple days...who knows...those spermies could still be in there waiting to fertilize an eggie! (plus, we just don't want to STOP trying right now)

The thing that kind of frustrates me is the fact that this is the first I am hearing about this! This is from bloodwork I had done in early NOVEMBER! My RE let me go ahead with my Follistim cycle, so if that pregnancy had stuck, I'd be in the same boat----pregnant and neg. to rubella! If it was *that* big of an issue, how come I didn't hear about it until now? I am kind of annoyed.

I wanted to add---I also spoke with a nurse at my old ped's office and SHE said that for some people who test neg. for rubella, the vaccine just doesn't "take." She seemed to think that is more likely than the immunity wore off. She said for some people the vaccine is just ineffective, and if that's the case, getting it again wouldn't help anyway. I asked the ped. to call me when he gets a chance, so we will see what he says.

Gwynne, have you since been tested for immunity since you re-got the vaccine?
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

Last edited by TTCagain; December 21st, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
December 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would get the vaccine asap and wait the month. At least it's only a month... some vaccines you can't TTC for some time afterwards. While the chances of contracting Rubella is very slim, I'd be absolutely paranoid if I knew I was not immune while pregnant. You don't need that added stress, and I simply wouldn't take that chance, no matter how small the risk.

The thing with vaccines is that they are not 100% effective. You're probably one of the small percentage for whom the vaccine did not create an immunity. I doubt anyone knows how often this happens, as they do not routinely test for immunity after being vaccinated.
December 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had to get a shot 3 days after I had my daughter in 2005 because I wasn't immune eventhough I had the shot twice as a child as well.

They never even told me about it until they walked into my hospital room with the vaccine in hand on the day they discharged me so I wouldnt be surprised if I have to get it again after this baby.

December 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
You need a booster some point in your life usually around 6th grade. My RE was laughing because they said I was super immune to it I guess. I told him figures when I started collage my mom couldn't find the sheet that said I had the shot at 14. So they (the collage) gave me the MMR shot for free. Then when I was 21 my primary didn't see I had had one since a child so he gave me another one since I didn't know the date of the one in collage. Then when I got hired by the hospital it wasn't in any of the records they could find... So since 14 I've had 4. I told them if I wasn't immune to anything in the MMR something was wrong.

made by BAM

December 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Jordan, I haven't been tested again. My RE said it wasn't necessary to retest after I've had the shot, so as far as we are concerned, I'm good.

This far along in your cycle, I say keep going. I would. Chances are still slim for rubella and if you do get pregnant, well, just take a few small precautions and pay close attention to whether or not there's an outbreak in your area!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I know the paper work from my RE says you have to wait 3 months if you get the shot due to not being immune. I was JUST immune to it. I never had the booster when i was 12.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
December 22nd, 2009, 05:52 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
My SIL was going through IVF and also found out that she was no longer immune to Rubella (she was when she did IVF 2 years ago) and she had to go get the vaccine. So I guess it does wear off after some time, which I didn't know about either. She was told to not ttc for a couple of months after the vaccine.
Rubella isn't that common nowadays, so the chances of you catching it are low.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I didn't know anything this. I ended up getting a second MMR shot when I was in college because they couldn't read the date on my records. I was really annoyed about it at the time but now I guess that was a good thing.

I think your plan sounds good.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have to get tested for immunity to a lot of our childhood vaccinations at the hospital I work for. I am never immune to Rubella and I've had the MMR booster shot probably 5 times now, lol.

When I got hired in 9 years ago I showed negative so they said I need a booster shot so I got it. Then after 5 years they do another round of testing and I was negative again so I got the shot, 3 months later we tested again and it was still negative so I got another shot. Then I just didn't go back for my booster recheck. Well last year they caught up to me. I was tested and negative again so we did another shot, 3 months later still negative. So I refused after that, I said it can't be good to keep getting the stupid shot. I don't think I'll ever be immune to it. I had to sign some paper to be able to continue working since I know I'm not immune to Rubella.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

December 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBushey View Post
We have to get tested for immunity to a lot of our childhood vaccinations at the hospital I work for. I am never immune to Rubella and I've had the MMR booster shot probably 5 times now, lol.

When I got hired in 9 years ago I showed negative so they said I need a booster shot so I got it. Then after 5 years they do another round of testing and I was negative again so I got the shot, 3 months later we tested again and it was still negative so I got another shot. Then I just didn't go back for my booster recheck. Well last year they caught up to me. I was tested and negative again so we did another shot, 3 months later still negative. So I refused after that, I said it can't be good to keep getting the stupid shot. I don't think I'll ever be immune to it. I had to sign some paper to be able to continue working since I know I'm not immune to Rubella.
Holy smokes!!!! That's a lot of shots!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search