IUI on Christmas Eve!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hi there everyone! So my dh and I have been prepping up for our IUI, which is now scheduled for Thursday and I am feeling so nervous about it. My friend, who is a nurse, just came over and gave me a shot of ovudril and I'm hoping it works! I had one egg on Monday measuring at a 23, so here's hoping that it will be the miracle egg! Can anyone tell me some side effects of ovudril or what the IUI process is actually like??? Thank you!!
December 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is this your first IUI? Regardless it's all very exciting!!!

I didn't use the Ovidrel shot but Novarel is pretty much the same thing. Unfortunately, the HCG that is in it will most likely give you every pregnancy symptom you can think of. I usually dealt with cramping, sore bbs, headache and even some mild nausea at times. Blah! Once it's out of your system the s/e slowly start going away... that's when you start praying they come back for real! Also, something to keep in mind if you plan on testing at home is to either test out the trigger OR just know that if you test too soon, your positive may be the result of the trigger still in your system. If the test lines keep getting darker... your preggo! If they go away, it's likely the trigger and then at least you know that if the lines come back, it's the real deal!

As far as the actual IUI process, mine have mostly gone smoothly. It was just my last one that they had a problem getting to my "shy" cervix. The others were very simple, relatively painless and very quick procedures. I usually show up there, with a very full bladder, about 90 minutes after DH goes in to do his part. I get undressed from the waist down and am on the table with my feet in stir-ups, pretty similar to what you would experience with a pap smear. I verify that all the information on the sample matches my husband and she draws up the goods into a thin catheter with a syringe on the end. The speculum is probably the most uncomfortable part for me. It's just always cold and who likes that down there ever! Like I said, only once did it take longer than maybe 3 minutes to get the catheter in place. Then they push in the goods and your all done! I lay around for about 15 minutes with the bed tilted up for optimum delivery. After my 15 minutes is up, I'm done and if I'm lucky go home for the day to let things settle in. I have gone back to work afterward. My RE doesn't recommend any restrictions really, just to take it easy. Twice I had some pretty significant cramping about an hour or two after but nothing that some Tylenol didn't help.

I hope that Santa brings you a wonderful present this year! What a wonderful story to tell later on... "you were conceived on Christmas". Good luck and keep us posted on your 2ww!!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Thank you for the encouragement! I'm trying not to get too excited b/c I know the possibility of it working on the first try is slim. We live 2 hours from our RE's office, so luckily I have a VERY understanding boss who went through the same thing with his wife!!! I've been doing lots of half days and working from home just to catch up on everything! My DH and I got engaged on Christmas eve, so I would love,love, love it to be able to have the story of conceiving on Christmas Eve!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search