Injectables- pre-filled pens or vials?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since I'm a newbie in the world of injectables, I wanted to ask my silly questions here. I'm currently gathering prices for my meds for IVF and I am curious whether or not I should invest in the pens or use the vials?

My protocol consists of FSH (still deciding which between Gonal-F, Follistim, and Menopur) for 5 days, then adding in Cetrotide or Ganirelix for 5 (or so) more days along with FSH. I'll be doing 300IU for the first 5 days, then depending on my numbers, the dosage might change (which of course I realize has the potential of wasted FSH if the dosage goes down).

The prices are pretty similar when comparing the prefilled pens (Follistim and Gonal-F) to the 300IU and 450IU vials. Do any of you that have been through this have a preference and reasoning? I'm just looking for some experience and info.

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

December 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't used the pens but from what I hear they are pretty simple. I used the vials for all three of my inject cycles. I had no problem with them but in my line of work I had gotten pretty accustomed to drawing up vaccinations and such. I think it's just a matter of preference. I guess whatever is cheaper, is what I would choose

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did one cycle of the pre-filled Gonal F and another of both the pre-filled Gonal F and menopur. I'm not sure which I would choose, but here's what I thought of both.

The Gonal F pen is easier in that it's pre-filled, but I really hated using the pen. It's long, so if you have small hands, it's hard to hold it in and then push the depresser in. It makes a click each time you push it in, and I was always nervous that there was more in it. Halfway through my first cycle, DH started pushing it in for me, which made it easier.

That said, although the menopur injection was easier, mixing it was sometimes nerve wracking. I was able to mix it with the Gonal F, but one time I mixed it with the SC to see what it was like. It was the largest injection I have given myself in terms of total liquid and I felt like the injection hurt more (when I could never feel the Gonal F). I'm not sure if I was just used to mixing it with the Gonal F. I also was always nervous that I was leaving some in the vial.

All things considered, if I had to choose, I would do the Gonal F because I think that even though the shot itself is a little harder to give, not having to mix it eliminates one very stressful part of the process. It's a very small needle (I think a 29 gauge) and I could barely feel it.

One other consideration -- are you adding ganirelix in or some other ovulation suppressor at some point?

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
December 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ohh and I just saw what Kari wrote. Yes, yes. The cheaper the better

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
December 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
I only did the vials - it was easy to do - I had no issues at all..

I'd go for whatever is cheapest as well Now I'm wishing I didn't get rid of my left over Gonal F - I had a pretty decent amount left (and Menopur) but I didn't know anyone who needed it.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

December 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I did the vials. They seemed intimidating at first, mixing things and all but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. It was also useful because the doctor would tinker with my doses based on my E2. And from what i remember the vials have a long shelf life because they are powdered, so I was able to save what I hadn't used, and there is so much extra I could use it for at least 3 more cycles after this baby is born!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm- thanks for the input ladies! It always helps to hear what others that have gone through this feel.

Addie- yes, at one point I'll be taking Ganirelix (after the first 5 days of FSH) with whatever I choose. So I guess if I did the pre-filled pens, I would have to do 2 injections daily. It should only be for a few days, but definitely something to think about.. Maybe I could get the 300IU pens for the first 5 days (since my RE said we'd start with that for sure), and then get some vials of the, say, Gonal-F for the following days? Do you all know if the vials of Gonal-F are ready go to or do they also need mixing? The mixing thing makes me nervous, especially because my RE made it very clear that since we aren't doing Lupron- we're doing those crazy fast acting ovulation suppressants- I have to take it at the exact same time every morning and I really don't want to be mixing meds first thing in the morning.

Hmmmm...

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

December 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
The vials are powder - you have to mix in saline (I think that's what it is I don't really remember).. it's pretty simple.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

December 27th, 2009, 10:52 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
The pens are convenient but if I had it to do over again I would probably want to have them in a vial. I did just the Gonal-F pens, the rest was in vials that needed mixing. I don't know how everything comes. What I didn't like about the pens was pretty much what Addie said. You had to click down on it several times and every time I did an injection I was worried that for some reason I didn't press it down hard enough. Also, what I didn't like was that if you dialed up the dosage and there wasn't enough in the pen for that dosage you had to discard it. I ended up wasting some of it this way. Since it is so expensive it isn't something you would want to waste. If I was drawing it up I would know exactly how much I had drawn up and wouldn't have to worry about that. If you go with the pen keep track of how much you use so you know exactly how much is left in it. And if you aren't totally sure dial it to the most conservative amount of what you think is left in the pen. (I hope that made sense.)

The first time I mixed up the menopur I screwed it up and ended up wasting a vial. It stressed me out at first but once I got the hang of it was really easy. If I did this again I would go with the vials (or whatever was cheaper).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search