The Process

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
EricsMom's Avatar SuperMommy!
I'm curious how the process of adoption varies for each of us. I'm from Canada and I know our adoption laws are different than a lot of the US - I think they may be stricter in some sense.

To adopt privately (where a birth mom has to pick us) costs approx. $10,000
To adopt internationally costs anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000
To adopt a child from foster care (called "one of Canada's waiting children") costs only a few hundred dollars

We are adopting from foster care for 2 reasons: money being #1 - if I could afford $10,000 for adoption, I'd spend it trying IVF first. A cycle of IVF here costs about $7000. The #2 reason we chose foster care is that the wait for private adoption is usually 3 years or more. Because DS is already 5, by adopting a slightly older child there won't be as big an age gap.

Here our social service system is run by the Ministry of Child and Family Services which is who we'll be adopting through. It may be "cheap" to adopt from foster care but they have very stringent guidelines in place and a long application process.

- Attend info session on BC's Waiting Children (Done last summer)
- Fill out lengthy application and meet with Adoption Recruitment Social Worker (Done in Oct)
- Attend 30 hour "Adoption Education Workshop" specially geared to adopting a child from foster care and the many special challenges they face (runs in March and April)
- Meet again with Adoption Recruitment Social Worker and re-fill out the application. This process is where we decide what type of "special needs" we are willing to adopt (ie prenatal exposure, known health issues, past neglect or abuse, etc.). There are no "healthy newborns or children" adopted through the Ministry
- From here we wait for our homestudy which I'm told should be this fall and takes about 3 months to complete
- They also do extensive reference checks during this time with both personal and professional references, criminal record checks, financial records and medical exams
- After all this our profile is put in a data base and as children come available for adoption there is a "point" criteria the system uses to select potential adoptive parents.
- There are still no guarantees of getting a child
- There are also other courses we can take, some a few hours, some a few weeks. We are starting the Safe Babies course this Wed which runs 5 weeks for 3 hours every Wed. It covers all the main points of parenting an infant/toddler with special needs, especially prenatal exposure, as well as infant CPR

That was a bit long winded, but I'm curious about the process each of you has to go through and where you're at. Brandi, I know your homestudy starts on Tues and I can't wait to hear about it. I know you have criteria you're looking for (ie boy, aged 12 to 18 months). I'm curious how all that works where you live.

Any ladies that want to summarize their process would be great - whether adopting privately or internationally or thru "the system", it's great to share where we all are and what we still have to do.

TTCMA Again (after a 4 year break of NTNP, 8 yrs total TTC'ing #2)
Cycle #1 - July/Aug 2013 - BFN
5mg Femara CD3 - 7, Trigger CD25, CD32 Prog. 26.1, 10/11 Day LP
Cycle #2 - Aug/Sep 2013 - a bust ... no "O" ... waiting for injectibles protocol

Me (38) Annovulatory, PCOS, IR and Type 2 Diabetes, DH (44), DS (8)

"Learning to have faith, think positively, believe in myself and trust in God."

Last edited by EricsMom; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
January 4th, 2010, 06:52 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In the US.

Domestic Adoption 19-35,000 average wait 9-18mths
International -20-45,000 9mths-5 yrs depending on the country (china is a 5yr wait now)
Foster Adoption- will cost us $500 wait 1 month -2 years depending on gender ect..

We are adopting through foster care.

Steps are...

1. take Mapp classes 2mths long
2. paper work
3. First Aid
4.. first walk thru by social worker
5. official walk thru by state of kansas
6. submit license paper work
7. get license and wait for the call

Takes 7mths usually start to finish to get your license.

We are also fostering at the same time because it will be easier for us to get a younger child and a girl. Here foster parents are given first chance to adopt after relatives. If we dont foster we are easily looking at a 2yr wait or more for a girl under 5. We also get paid to foster which is so crazy. Our agency pays $19 a day per child that we foster and the kiddos get a medicaid card and free daycare.

January 4th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Angel_Maker
The program we are going through requires the initial HS visit and I BELIEVE one post placement visit....

Ours will be a closed adoption and cost $13,000 (that's including the cost of the HS) The tax credit is about $11,800, so our final cost will not be all that much.....we will be getting a little boy who will be either caucasian, hispanic or half and half

The wait will be 6-8 months, and WORST case scenario, no more than a year...
January 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Brandi did you hear that the adoption tax credit may not be renewed for 2010?!! i was reading this on another adoption site! It was originally part of a bill and had a time limit so now they have to decide if its worth renewing for a few more years.

i really hope they do because if we adopt a special needs baby we can still claim the adoption tax credit even though our total cost will be no where near the actual credit we'd get.

January 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Angel_Maker
...yikes...I totally DO NOT want to think about that!!!

Googled it and found this...

Adoption Tax Credit Updated for 2010
January 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
ugh thats a bummer. there is no way our adoption will be final in 2010!! at least I'll get 5k though..thats better than nothing.

January 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Angel_Maker
I asked DH about everything and he said that it doesn't matter either way...the way he is thinking, he said "It's still cheaper than IVF AND it's a guarantee"....

I love him
January 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I agree 100% its worth it no matter the cost!!!

January 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Candie!
We're in Alberta, and we got our boys through a private, direct adoption-parents found us, and we did all our paperwork through a lawyer total $2k. We could have done everything ourselves for $15 per kid by printing off the kit from the Govt of AB website, but we thought the lawyer would be easier; only way more expensive and it took 7 months instead of two...
Talking taxes: Canadian taxes say you can deduct up to $10K per child in adoption expenses until the date the adoption order is granted, so keep ALL of your receipts. I know we were given provincial monies monthly until the adoption date, it was a tiny cheque per kid each month, but they'd rather pay that than put them into foster care $$$$$.
Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search