Jennifer Lopez on IVF

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Veteran
Jennifer Lopez tells Elle magazine that in vitro treatments are not an option for her.
The mother of 22-month-old twins shared her thoughts on the subject: "When it comes to family and relationships, Im quite traditional -- just because of the way I was raised. And I also believe in God and I have a lot of faith in that, so I just felt like you don't mess with things like that."
"I guess deep down, I really felt like either this is not going to happen for me or it is," she continues. "You know what I mean? And if it is, it will. And if it's not, its not going to.

Does this make anyone else a little angry or is it me?
January 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
She speaks like a woman who didn't "need" help. Arrogant. If God wanted everyone to do it the traditional way, then none of us would be here. And he wouldn't have invented RE's either.

Besides, I saw what she wore on New Years, and I have trouble taking her seriously.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Veteran
I didn't understand why she was even invited to perform NYE!
January 6th, 2010, 09:04 PM
And the thing is, she had twins at 38 after 2 years of infertility - I think she had IUI.

January 7th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, sounds like someone who hasn't had to struggle much in their life period. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

January 7th, 2010, 04:56 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
please...that lady had MA help!!!! no one has magical twins at her age without SOME HELP!! sheesh what a jerk.

January 7th, 2010, 05:38 AM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read this and it did make me angry! Maybe if she was in our shoes she would think differently. She has children but I'm sure if she needed help to have a family she would be singing a different tune ( no pun intended)

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
January 7th, 2010, 07:03 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think she had medical assistance too. Most celebs live in denial....they always say "no I didn't have surgery" or "I don't believe in Botox" but yet most of them partake. I think it is that hotty totty - I'm a star, I'm better than you - attitude. I wonder how much she got paid to say that....

(BTW, I thought I posted here, but maybe just in the m/a grad forum....this is Lee Ann (TexasAgs) I changed my username.
January 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't for a second believe she didn't do some form of MA to have those twins. Maybe she did clomid or injections and just not IUI. I know a lot of people who don't consider that medical assistance, but consider IUI and IVF crossing the line (or just IVF).

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
January 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM
MelibearMom's Avatar Melissa--expecting #4!!
It bothers me if she is lying about the twins and really had MA. It also bothers me when people in general say they are going to leave it up to God and not use BC or MA. God gave it to us for a reason!! If He wants you to get pregnant than you will, wether you're on BC or not. KWIM? It's like the man that's falling off a cliff and says "God, please help me!" and then he grabs hold of a stick poking out and says "Oh, nevermind, I just found this stick." He does things, and gives us things for a reason, so don't say you are "leaving it to God." (That's the only thing that bugs me about the Duggars too)

Hailey Marie 1-29-13 8lbs. 1 oz.
January 7th, 2010, 08:11 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I first read her comments and cringed but then after I cooled down I can really understand how IVF can be a conflict. My guess is that if she had to face the reality of not getting pregnant without it she might reevaluate how she feels about it.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
January 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelibearMom View Post
It bothers me if she is lying about the twins and really had MA. It also bothers me when people in general say they are going to leave it up to God and not use BC or MA. God gave it to us for a reason!! If He wants you to get pregnant than you will, wether you're on BC or not. KWIM? It's like the man that's falling off a cliff and says "God, please help me!" and then he grabs hold of a stick poking out and says "Oh, nevermind, I just found this stick." He does things, and gives us things for a reason, so don't say you are "leaving it to God." (That's the only thing that bugs me about the Duggars too)
I agree 100%!!

she tried for TWO YEARS to get preg...and then by a miracle she is blessed with twins..come on.... that might happen if your 25 but at 38...what are the odds??

January 7th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Angel_Maker
I dont' agree with the "leaving it up to God thing" It makes it sound like only the "worthy ones" are chosen to get pregnant and have babies...if that were the case, I doubt very seriously that ANDREA YATES would've been able to have kids
January 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I actually feel really bad about Andrea Yates, we studied her when I was in grad school for psych. She was delusional and psychotic from severe PPD, her doctors said she should not get pregnant and not stop taking her meds, but her husband thought that having tons of kids was God's plan and got her pregnant and took away her meds. How ****** up is that?

And if J. Lo had spent a single day working in foster care (I spent 18 months) she would have a different opinion about how if you can get pregnant on your own it's what God wants!!!!

January 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
bcowley's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
please...that lady had MA help!!!! no one has magical twins at her age without SOME HELP!! sheesh what a jerk.
I just had to comment. I totally agree with you. I definetly think she had a little help getting her twins. I t makes me so mad because I think people are just ashamed to admit it and there is nothing to be a ashamed of. If I had that kind of power and needed MA I would totally be outspoken about it. There are millions of people dealing with this and sometimes we can all feel so alone. I tell anyone who asks how I had my children and what it took because if I could help anyone achive that dream, it's all worth it. Only when you experienced infertility can you understand the pain that it causes.

January 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's super annoying that she'd say that. The way I look at it, God has given Doctors the knowledge and tools needed to help people who need assistance.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think DH and I said something similar when we were in our early 20s...we thought if it didn't happen for us then we'd just roll with it but we wouldn't ever do IVF. Ha, just look at us now! I learned a HUGE lesson from that...never judge someone or think you know what you would do until you have actually been in that situation.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Celine Dion is a much better example - she needed MA and was completely honest about it, helping to raise awareness.

January 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Exactly! I wish more celebrities would be like her!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion....BUT I think she could have been WAY more sensitive in the way she worded that! I can see how some people might have an issue with IVF due to religious beliefs; but I don't think she needed to throw in the part about how "if God wants you to get pregnant, it will happen." That's just not true for many women, and I for one firmly believe that God gave us doctors and technology so that things CAN happen! Just like how 50 years ago, childhood leukemia was one of the worst cancers, and now it has a cure rate of 90%. I am really GRATEFUL for medical assistance and will embrace whatever I can to increase our chances of getting pregnant!

Plus, it's really easy for her to sit and say that now that she has her twins.
Dec/Jan TTC naturally after m/c, BFN
Jan 2010 2nd round of Follistim

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search