What all is involved with your IUI cycles? I think mine was not done correctly :(

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
ttcmymiracle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not trying to say because I got a BFN today that it is the staff's fault but I would like to know what all you girls have done for IUI to see if my next attempt could go better. All my RE did was put me on femara for 5 days then I had my u/s ( almost or possibly missed O because it came early) then they told me to take ovidrel over 24 hous past my +OPK and come in about 34 hours after the shot. I just feel like the timing was horrible and there wasnt enough monitoring. And when I bring in my knowledge of what is going on Im always told that isnt correct. Like I mentioned the ovidrel making me have +OPKs for about 5 days-well after 5 days of + i quit using them and the nurse today tol dme that it had nothing to do with the ovidrel since OPKs dont pick up hcg but that 5 days is very rare. Other things I have mentioned I was told were not correct also. Anyway not to mention the emotional strain of it seeming like they are not concerned with my care since I am young (26) and seem healthy and no reason why this should happen for us, but it is costly to have IUI when the chances aren't there anymore or almost gone. I feel so lost. They didnt even schedule for me to come in for bloodwork and I was so lost talking about all the other stuff I forgot to ask. She also didnt tell me to stop the progesterone just to come in on day 3, thank goodness i know if i dont stop this progesterone i will not see af! I will be calling on Monday for bloodwork and want to talk with my RE or the nurse i usually talk with.

So what all do you do for an IUI cycle? blood work? ultrasounds? (i take the meds and only get a day 3 and 9 or 12 u/s then iui thats it) Is this normal for IUI? Shouldnt there be more monitoring to increase the chances and know what my body is doing at that moment??

Sorry this is so long, thank you if you actually got through it! If you know anything about IUI or anything your RE does to increase the chances please share with me. THANKS!!

TTC since Nov. 2007. All testing=completely normal....but we still have empty arms! clomid-thin lining and BFN; femara-BFN, 3 IUIs= BFN, IVF (Nov 2010)= BFN. IVF 2 (FET)= BFP!! beta 1: 29.2 beta 2: 120!!!

February 19th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm.. well, first, I'm sorry you got a BFN too. My IUIs are with injectables - I'm not sure what sort of medication Femara is, so I don't know how it compares. With my injectable cycles, I usually come in for an u/s after 4 days of injectables. Then they normally have me come in 2 or 3 days after that, and then if I'm not ready to trigger, either 1 or 2 days later (depending on what they see). It's usually about 3 visits of monitoring before the trigger. They don't do an U/S before the insemination to see if I've already ovulated or not (they seem to just trust the timing of the trigger).

I think the not-caring and insensitivity is par for the course here... my RE seemed not to care at all, and almost seemed annoyed that I insisted on talking to him today over the phone (instead of just talking to the nurse). At my old clinic, my RE seemed OK talking over the phone, but maybe just seemed more sensitive b/c she was a woman. But I really am starting to dislike my RE right now... partly because I'm just in a crappy mood today, but also, he just rubbed me the wrong way and came across as insensitive and callous. Because I am 28 and healthy, they seem to not care that I didn't get pg, and that they're triggering too soon. Sometimes I'm afraid that being young and healthy is actually a disadvantage, because these RE's just don't seem to care... they don't think that there is a problem, and just don't see what the whole big urgency is.

OK, sorry for my rambling... as you can tell, I'm still sore from the way today turned out for me. I'm sorry it's been crappy for you, too.
February 19th, 2010, 11:20 PM
EXACTLY! You said it!!

I am so sorry u are having the same type of issue because it makes infertility s much harder. I completely understnad your frustration!

I think they get a greater feeling of accomplishment when they can make the "impossible" happen for women who look so "impossible" on paper. Women like us- young and healthy are just expected to have babies without too much effort so its not a "big deal" to them when it finally works because it was expected to. What happened to the compassion and a passion for your career? I thought of maybe going into this type of medical field later in life with my nursing career but Im not sure I can work with people who do not understand how important this is. I mean I am trusting you to hopefully bring a child into my life since I cannot do it myself and since Im not a big enough challenge you dont put much effort into my treatment???? WHAT? I am planning to have a big talk with my RE and her nurse on Monday and will not settle for talking to anyone who hasn't read my chart or knows anything about this important yet painful journey that I am trusting them to handle. grrrrr I am seriously irritated to no end!

TTC since Nov. 2007. All testing=completely normal....but we still have empty arms! clomid-thin lining and BFN; femara-BFN, 3 IUIs= BFN, IVF (Nov 2010)= BFN. IVF 2 (FET)= BFP!! beta 1: 29.2 beta 2: 120!!!

February 20th, 2010, 06:18 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I did my IUI's I would be on clomid days 3-7 then I had the choice of coming in on day 12 for an ultrasound and ovidrel trigger OR i could take OPK's until cd 17 (if i hadnt gotten a postive OPK by then I had to come in for a trigger)

If I came in on CD 12 and got the trigger then 24 hours later I would get my IUI. If I used OPK's and got a positive that morning then my IUI was 24 hours later.

So all in all I would only have ONE ultrasound if that during my IUI's.

When I started seeing my RE I was 22...soo needless to say I didnt get a lot of attention or special care.. It wasnt until my IVF that they realized...hmm yeah she has PROBLEMS and then I got a bit more attention.

February 20th, 2010, 07:01 AM
AJD1021's Avatar Veteran
My first IUI cycle, I had u/s and bloodwork on CD 3, 13, and 14. I triggered on CD 15 based on my u/s and bloodwork from CD14 and the IUI was on CD 16 (30 hours after my trigger shot). That cycle was a BFN, though.

My second IUI, I had u/s and blood on CD 3, 11, 12, and 13. I triggered on CD 13 and had the IUI on CD 14 (24 hours after my trigger shot). I'm fairly certain I didn't ovulate until 36 hours after the trigger, so the IUI was a bit early (it was done on a Saturday though, so we had to work with the office hours). Thankfully, it still worked and we ended up pregnant with twins from that cycle.

After all my ups and downs, there's two things I advocate for- a caring RE and monitoring. I switched REs after he did minimal testing (no CD3 bloodwork, which would have indicated PCOS to him), labeled us unexplained infertility, and told us that most couple with unexplained IF get pregnant within three years and he didn't reccommend anything until then. I felt exactly as you described that I didn't have enough of an issue to give us his full attention. My second RE and his staff was amazing. After my first IUI didn't work, he told us that because of my age and good health, that I should be pregnant by now and that he was going to figure what was wrong and fix it. I had a lot of confidence that he was taking good care of us. His staff was amazing. They were all so kind and caring throughout each cycle. Knowing that we were in good hands really helped reduce some of the stress that comes along with IF treatments. I was only on Clomid/IUIs, but the doctors and staff still treated me like it was their absolute goal to get me pregnant that month.

I also push for monitoring. If it weren't for monitoring, we almost would have missed ovulation on the cycle that I got pregnant. My CD12 u/s showed three follicles at 17, 19, and 19mm. Based on the u/s, the nurse wanted to do the IUI on CD 16 to let the smallest follicle catch up. My bloodwork from that day came back that I was ready to ovulate (My E2 levels stopped rising they way they should if the follicles were still growing). They had me come back for another u/s on CD 13, and the 17mm follicle didn't grow (I think it actually shrank to 15mm) and the other two were 20mm and ready to be triggered. My IUI was the next day on CD 14. So if we had relied only on the u/s on CD12 and had the IUI on CD 16, we would have missed ovulation by almost 48 hours.

If you feel like you aren't receiving good care, I would definitely consider finding a new doctor. I had to drive 2 hours for the new RE compared to 30 minutes for the terrible RE, but it was so worth it. MA is expensive and we deserve to be treated with the best care.

Joanna-26
Adam-26

OTL-Sept 07
BFP-March 08
m/c-April 08 5 weeks
AO cycles- May 08-Oct 08
Prog check 2.0- Oct 08
1st appt w/ RE-Nov 08
S/A (all clear!)-Nov 08
HSG (right tube clear, adhesions on left tube)-Dec 08
Left RE-Dec 08
Met with new RE- May 09
Diagnosed with PCOS- cysts on left ovary
Hysteroscopy- June 09 (everything looks good!)

1st round of Clomid 50mg- April 09
2nd round of Clomid 50mg- May 09
3rd round of Clomid 100mg- June 09 (Clomid Challlenge Test)
4th round of Clomid 100mg plus IUI- July 09
MA break during Aug 09- laproscopy (tubes are clear and look good)
5th round of Clomid 100mg, .5mg dexamethasone plus IUI- October 09
February 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With my clomid IUI cycles I went in for cd1-2 u/s and I took clomid on CD 3-7 and went in around CD10-12 depending on if it was a weekend or not. From there it would be decided if I needed to come back in or just trigger on a later day. I didn't have any b/w when I was on clomid.

With my inject/IUI cycles I went in for b/w on CD 3 with a baseline u/s, then went in after four days of injects for another u/s and more b/w. I usually ended up with two or three u/s's depending on how I was responding with b/w on each of those days to monitor my E2.

In my opinion, if you are going to be putting the money into an IUI you better be getting the right monitoring to go along with it. Otherwise, like you explained you end up with a poorly timed procedure and money going down the drain.

I hope your talk with your RE/nurse goes well, but I will tell you from personal experience that if you are unsatisfied with the quality of care you are getting you need to find a new RE. It's not worth your time, money, and the emotional/physical stress to keep going back to a place that doesn't seem to care about you.

Good luck!!! And KUP on how things go!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
I had Baseline then injected cd3 went in cd 6 had b/w and u/s then every other day b/w and u/s when my E2 hit a certain level and the u/s showed my eggs matured i would trigger.. they would have me dtd that night (i didnt listen to them the cycle i got my BFP) I did the dtd the min i cramped from the hcg then had iui a few hours later... I always felt that I o'd before they did the iui..

Also, the E2 is really important.. If you have 3 mature and a bunch of little ones.. the little ones produce E2 as well... and if your E2 number is 400 that doesnt mean that an egg matured.. it can be the size of a matured egg doesnt mean theres one in the follie..The cycle i got my BFP my E2 was almost 2,000 with 4 mature and a bunch of little ones.. normally my E2 would only hit 600 to 800..

I wonder if I am making sense or I only make sense to myself LOL sorry if i dont..

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
February 20th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcmymiracle View Post
So what all do you do for an IUI cycle? blood work? ultrasounds? (i take the meds and only get a day 3 and 9 or 12 u/s then iui thats it) Is this normal for IUI? Shouldnt there be more monitoring to increase the chances and know what my body is doing at that moment??
I was on 100mg of Clomid from CD 3 - 7. At CD 10 I started to take OPKs. When I got a + OPK I called the fertility clinic to let them know. The next morning I went in for my IUI. They don't do any other monitoring at my clinic for an IUI.

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you.
February 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks so much ladies for all your help!! The nurse I talked to yesterday said I should have come in the next morning after getting the positive OPK but because I couldnt talk to anyone until after hours and then had to work that night I just went in the next morning as a walkin for an u/s. But they should have told me to have IUI that day or the next morning but instead had me trigger then come in the following day which was 3 days after my first + OPK. Im thinking it was wayyyy off and i will be calling first thing in the AM. I am still waiting on AF and have not had any progesterone since 8 AM yesterday......

If they do not start to show me the care I feel I am payin for I will find someone closer to my house. I drive an hour to see them because they are supposed to be the best and have above the average rate of success on IVF but if they dont know how to treat people I can hopefully find someone with a similar rate and better people skills with compassion!

February 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The first IUI cycle we did a year ago I had no monitoring. I took Clomid CD5-9 and started OPKs around CD12 and was told to come in the next day after a + OPK. That was the most stressful cycle I EVER had! I hate OPKs now because of that cycle. I wasn't ever sure if it was positive and when I finally got my +, it was on the weekend. I ended up going in on the following Monday for the IUI and I just felt like it was poorly timed, etc.

After that I refused to do IUIs without monitoring. I did 2 more Clomid/IUI cycles that were monitored and much better timed with trigger shot.

The last IUI cycle I did I took Femara CD3-7 and went for my first u/s on CD11 because my follies tend to grow quickly. Also, I've never had any bloodwork done during my cycles except for my first cycle with my RE, which was all the standard bloodwork stuff. I do not mess with OPKs anymore because they're a pain and cause stress for me. When I went in on CD11, I was afraid that I had already O'd because I had been having mild cramping like I normally have with O. I asked the u/s tech if she could tell if I had already O'd and she said yes. I hadn't O'd and was told to trigger that night and come back in 35 hours later for the IUI.

OPKs with IUIs work for some people, but they didn't work for me. I recommend using u/s to time IUIs.
February 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks Allison! I used OPKs and u/s.but I dont know why they didnt tell me to come in the next day though. I am going to call tomorrow first thing in the morning, i still have not seen AF!?!?! a tiny bit of spotting but nothing more....ugh what is going on????

February 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I can't put any input as far as having an IUI but I think we are headed in that direction. All this stuff is just too much! How do you ladies know all about this?

I would never know to go in and say that I need to be monitored during and IUI. Gosh, I hope the fertility clinic we are about to go to cares a bit more than the people you ladies have had experience with

I'm sorry you got a BFN ttcamiracle...

February 22nd, 2010, 12:29 PM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about your BFN I just had one last night. THey never get easier!
I always have CD3 ultrasound and bw. With my clomid cycles I would go back when I had a positive OPK however with both clomid cycles I got a positive to early and they did an ultrasound every 2days until it was time to trigger. On my clomid cycles I would trigger in the office and have an IUI that same day and come back the next morning for another IUI. With my follistim cycles I would go in for CD3 ultrasound and BW do 4days of follistim and come back for another ultrasound. I would keep doing follisim and come back every other day for ultrasound and bw. When I was ready to trigger I would trigger at night and then have utrasound the next morning and the following morning. Oh and I always go in 5 days after the trigger for a progesterone level check. I sometimes have to do another ovidrel(trigger shot) if progesterone is to low. I really hope your RE starts to listen to you and you get your BFP soon!

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
February 22nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks ladies! AF is here and the cramps are worse than I have had in a long time but I think that could be a good thing. At least now I have a nice thick lining to get rid of so maybe with time this femara might do it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search