X- Posted - OT - Anyone here a nurse? I have a question.

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering if anyone here is a nurse and would be willing to tell me a bit about what you like/dislike. Do you love it? What is your schedule like? Do you work at a hospital or at a dr.'s office? Which dept? I have been thinking about taking a nursing program to become a nurse. This would be a radical move for me b/c I have a good job now that pays really, really well and I would not come close to that as a nurse, but I am just having a change of heart, maybe an early mid life crisis or something. I have had this feeling for a long time now that I should be doing something else with my life and lately I have really not liked what I am currenlty doing. My job switched from something I really liked to something different once my company got bought out. Anyway, just wondering if someone could share their experience with me. Also, how long are normal nursing programs? I have my Bachelor's degree if that helps.
Thanks!

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
February 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a nurse and don't have any insight for you but I sure do hope that you find the right path and figure out what you are meant to be doing!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you! It's just something on my mind lately. I have a huge compassion for helping people and I feel like this might be a way to do it. I almost went to med school in college and just didn't, but i'm glad I didn't or my life would be so different. I'm just ready for a career change I think. It's never too late to go back to school.

IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
February 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great minds think alike!!!

I JUST applied to a nursing program and should find out in June if I was accepted!! It's something I've wanted to do for awhile and before I got married its what I was going to school for..but money and life..and infertility got in the way

most are 2 yrs in length once you are in the program. it takes most people 1-1.5yrs to get the pre recs done so they can apply.

the main pre recs are biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, microbiology, and nutrition.

February 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I am a nurse and I love it!!!! I work night shifts and got the best of both worlds (Or so I think so).... I do 3 12 hour shifts.. So I have 4 days off..... During the month... I have one 5 day off stretch... 1 four day off stretch.. then 2 day and a 3 day off... with a few one on-one offs..... So hospital offers the weekend program... so you work 3 out 4 weekends.. you get paid higher pay.. and still get beni's... You can PM with any questions.. about anything! The Job, the classes, what ever!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
February 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im also in the process of applying to nursing school shannon! i was happy to read this post! i do believe w/ a bachelors you should be able to do a 1 year accelerated program! thats how it is here anyway! good luck

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
My sister is a nurse (BSN) and loves it. She worked for a few months at a hospital before realizing that she didn't really like it. She had too many patients to give them each the attention she felt they deserved, so she moved to a doctor-owned surgical hospital and LOVED it. She worked the same schedule that Kary described...3 12-hr shifts per week. The pay and benefits were awesome.

Recently she switched again and started working at a nursing home that is only a few miles from her house. She now works 5 8-hr shifts per week, which is easier since she has a 2-year-old and a baby on the way. She actually makes more money at the nursing home than at either of her other jobs!

I really admire nurses...I have had some great ones and some lousy ones during my hospital stays, and a good nurse can make all the difference. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I'm a registered nurse. I love it. I love the flexibility. I work 2 8-hour and 2 12-hour overnights a week. Overnights are less stressful for me, because there is less going on and I can just concentrate on my patients. I work on a cardiac unit at the hospital. I like it because a lot of my patients are able to walk to the bathrrom on their own lol.
I can easily drop down to part time or weekend work when this baby comes which is a definate plus of hospital work. The downside is you have to work weekends and holidays.
I am an associates degree RN. I only went to school for two years. But I think most programs require 4. I dont' think there are many places that still teach associates programs.

February 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenwonderland View Post
I'm a registered nurse. I love it. I love the flexibility. I work 2 8-hour and 2 12-hour overnights a week. Overnights are less stressful for me, because there is less going on and I can just concentrate on my patients. I work on a cardiac unit at the hospital. I like it because a lot of my patients are able to walk to the bathrrom on their own lol.
I can easily drop down to part time or weekend work when this baby comes which is a definate plus of hospital work. The downside is you have to work weekends and holidays.
I am an associates degree RN. I only went to school for two years. But I think most programs require 4. I dont' think there are many places that still teach associates programs.
I am also an associates degree.. I went to local community college. I had to do pre-req's... and they took me 4 years to finish going part time.. taking a class or two a semester... than the 2 year Nursing part.. so a total of 6 years. But I was debt free going to school that way. I just paid as I went. I also wanted to have time to me a mom to my son. So it was the less stressfull way to go.

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
February 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love being a nurse It was something I knew I always wanted to do. I've done a few different things over the past 12yrs....med/surg, orthopedics, surgery, worked in a clinic (yuk), now currently work with a kidney transplant program which I love. The hrs. in general are SO flexible, you can pretty much pick & choose what fits your schedule the best. 8 or 12hr shifts, days/nights, weekend only. I've pretty much done it all & would not trade what I do for anything else...well, other than retirement Good luck to you!

February 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kary♥RN View Post
I am also an associates degree.. I went to local community college. I had to do pre-req's... and they took me 4 years to finish going part time.. taking a class or two a semester... than the 2 year Nursing part.. so a total of 6 years. But I was debt free going to school that way. I just paid as I went. I also wanted to have time to me a mom to my son. So it was the less stressfull way to go.
I'm doing an associate program as well. I'm actually going to an LPN school that goes to school monday - thursday 7-4pm for 11mths and then if you choose you can bridge right over to the community college and finish up your last year (which is what I plan on doing) without any delays..you graduate LPN in July and start your last year at the CC in August

February 24th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, thanks for all the replies ladies. This is very helpful. I think I will PM some of you too to get more info.

Chels and CAMM - so excited you both are applying too!

IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search