For those who have had an IUI?? Or a DH with bad spermies?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2010, 07:44 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies I'm new around here and not exactly sure where I belong since we haven't had our fertility appt yet? Long story short...DH's spermies are not so great. Count is lower, motility is lower and morphology is lower. Would you ladies who have a similiar story or have gone through IUI mind telling me a little bit about it? We have an appt with a fertility clinic in a week and I kinda wanted some information before we went Do you mind me asking around what the cost is? I know IVF is expensive...is it the same for IUI? I would appreciate any info you could share.

P.S. Good Luck to those of you who are in a 2WW

February 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Veteran
Hi and welcome! We had 2 iui's done but it wasn't b/c of sperm just getting all the help we can get. Ours were covered under insurance but I know the cost was $500/ea. I'm sure each place is diffrent but that at least gives you an idea. Good luck at your appointment!
February 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! We have sperm issues, so I can tell you what we've done. But it's going to vary SO much based on what kind of issues you're dealing with that I don't think anything I say will be all that helpful right now to you. IVF is extremely expensive, IUI is much less expensive, depending on how you do it. You can do IUI with no meds (cheapest), clomid (an oral med - pretty cheap), or injectable medications (more expensive). The amount of monitoring at the clinic also varies, which will affect the price.

The options available to you will depend on a) how bad the sperm are, and b) whether the problem is fixable. Sometimes the male just has an infection or a hormonal imbalance that can be fixed with medications or proper diet or something. Sometimes the male would require surgery to fix the problem.

In our case, DH has very poor sperm count, motility, and morphology, and after a few visits with a urologist who specialized in male infertility, we could not find a cause for his problems. The count was too bad to do IUI, so we did IVF a couple times. We then switched to doing IUI with donor sperm, which is what we're doing now. Our IUI cycles cost around $3000 with meds (per cycle), but we're using injectable medications, donor sperm, and frequent monitoring. But we were a kind of extreme case, so this probably won't be what you guys end up doing.
February 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I know it all depends on what exactly is going on with DH but I just wanted some heads-up info before stepping in! What is considered "very" poor sperm count, motility, and morphology? DH was as follows: sperm count-9.8 million, motility-29.?, and morphology 3%. We are not sure how those numbers rank so we are very nervous

DH seems to think he might have low testosterone (we looked it up and he has most of the symptoms) so I'm hoping it's as easy a fix as that. He has been taking Fertility Blend for Men and now started taking additional Vitamin C and zinc.

We are going to do all the extras we can for right now until we have some answers!

February 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found these sites online to help you figure out how abnormal your S/A was:

SEMEN ANALYSIS

Sample Question from Semen Analysis, presented by MediaLab

Hopefully it is just a testosterone issue! Our S/A was a lot worse... something like 200,000 count, 10% motility (but of those 10%, I think they were very slow or barely motile), and 4% morphology.

I wish I could give you a better "heads up" as to what to expect, but really, infertility just throws curve balls at you all the time so you never know what to expect. I've been through a number of cycles now, and I still get surprised by certain outcomes or costs. When do you have your fertility appointment?
February 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dh's sperm count was pretty great for the s/a but for the first IUI the doctor said it was low. I got pregnant on my second IUI. The cost for me was about $600 month....that included $45 copays (typically 4 visits per cycle) and the $300 IUI, and femara...which was around $60-70. My insurance paid for the ultrasounds after I made the copay.
February 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
first of welcome! im Jessie and Dh is Santos.

I had one iui..dh only has bad morphology (0%) the iui did not work but we had heared of it working for other people in our shoes. We were told ivf would be our only hope..however our RE (fertility dr) told us (dont know how other REs are) that he doesnt like to do iui if you have under 5% abnormal morphology..morphology is more for fertilization then anything..so ivf/icsi is our hope! good luck and i hope you get that bfp soon!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
February 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisee37 View Post
I found these sites online to help you figure out how abnormal your S/A was:

SEMEN ANALYSIS

Sample Question from Semen Analysis, presented by MediaLab

Hopefully it is just a testosterone issue! Our S/A was a lot worse... something like 200,000 count, 10% motility (but of those 10%, I think they were very slow or barely motile), and 4% morphology.

I wish I could give you a better "heads up" as to what to expect, but really, infertility just throws curve balls at you all the time so you never know what to expect. I've been through a number of cycles now, and I still get surprised by certain outcomes or costs. When do you have your fertility appointment?
Thanks for those links Wow, that is a low count...have you guys have any success yet? Our appointment is next Wednesday..I'm so fricking nervous!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLee View Post
My dh's sperm count was pretty great for the s/a but for the first IUI the doctor said it was low. I got pregnant on my second IUI. The cost for me was about $600 month....that included $45 copays (typically 4 visits per cycle) and the $300 IUI, and femara...which was around $60-70. My insurance paid for the ultrasounds after I made the copay.
Well that's not bad...especially when you got pregnant on the second one! CONGRATS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie0505 View Post
first of welcome! im Jessie and Dh is Santos.

I had one iui..dh only has bad morphology (0%) the iui did not work but we had heared of it working for other people in our shoes. We were told ivf would be our only hope..however our RE (fertility dr) told us (dont know how other REs are) that he doesnt like to do iui if you have under 5% abnormal morphology..morphology is more for fertilization then anything..so ivf/icsi is our hope! good luck and i hope you get that bfp soon!
Hi Thanks! Good Luck with you IVF

February 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My DH's sperm count was great, it was my ability to ovulate that was the problem. So we did IUI with ovulation induction. The injectible medications were really rough, but the IUI was very easy. It was a bit uncomfortable but didn't hurt, and it didn't take long either. We did two, one on one day, and one on the next. I got pregnant the first try!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

February 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Wow that is awesome rebecca...congrats!

February 24th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You have gotten some great advice... now we just have to wait and hear what your RE has to say! Good luck at your appointment and don't forget to update us when you get back!!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks so much Only 6 days left....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search