HSG test

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Veteran
I had a doctors appointment today & I met a new doctor & I think he is fantastic. He was so nice & explained everything so well.
He said he wants to become alittle more aggressive so I am on Clomid 3-7, Estrogen 8-12 & I have an HSG test scheduled for next wednesday. Lucky for me, AF started yesterday which means I can start tomorrow....Wooohoooo, glad I was able to get an appt for today so I don't have to wait a whole month.
Totally scared about the HSG test because I know I read on here that someone said it was painful & that frightens me, but I suppose I can deal with it!!
After each cycle, if I don't get a BFP, I am suppose to call the office with all the info from the cycle such as which days I ovulated, how long the cycle lasted, etc...so that he can tweak the program as needed.
So for those of you that had the HSG test, please fill me in on what I should expect!!!
Thanks!
~K

February 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My hsg was pretty painless....I had to do it at the hospital, went into a room, undressed and got on a table with no stirrups....the radiologist came in and put the catheter in....there was a little uncomfortableness when the dye was pushed through and then we watched the screen and the radiologist was nice enough and narrated and pointed out my tubes, uterus and everything. He told me everything looked great and he'd get the results to my doctor. I was in and out in about 45 minutes.

I did have to take an antibiotic before the procedure to prevent infection, but I've only heard a couple of people having to do that, so I guess it depends on the doctor.

anyways...good luck!
February 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM
pianogirl's Avatar Veteran
My experience was pretty much exactly the same, I just took a tylenol or ibuprofin one hour before the procedure. I've had an HSG done three times and I was able to drive myself home after the procedure. Everyone is different though so being your first one you might want someone to come with you. Good luck!
TTC#2 since June 2008
Did Puregon and IUI from June 2008 - Dec.2008
Began process of testing and getting ready for IVF w/ICSI Feb.2009
Did first IVF w/ICSI in May. MC June 2009
Did IVF with FET Oct 2009 and had CP
Begin taking BCP on May 7 for IVF
Lupron injections on May 15
Gonal-F & Menupor on May 28
Retrieval on June 7, 5 day transfer w/2 embryo's on June 12
June 21-4 weeks pregnant!! Praying for heartbeat at 7 week ultrasound
July 12-We are having twins! Two strong heartbeats. Thank you God.
Jan 13,2011-Marcus and Caleb were born.

February 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
I had an HSG back in november, in hindsight it wasn't too bad, just uncomfortable...
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...y-xposted.html (My HSG was today (xposted))

Hope you get your BFP soon

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

February 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Sota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My HSG wasn't bad either. I had DH drive me, but I would have been able to drive home afterward by myself. I had a little cramping after the test was over, but it wasn't even as bad as my period. I do think taking the ibuprofen before hand helped.
February 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard from almost all the women that have gone it was just uncomfortable. However, I had a bad experience. I had one about 5 months ago and it was a little painful when they clamped my cervix but nothing major however went she put the dye in she hit a nerve and I had a vagel response and passed out on the table. It happened because I have low blood pressure (the doc also said it could be because I work out/run alot ) when she hit the nerve it caused my blood pressure to drop more and my bodies response was to pass out ( I had to have a biopsy (sp) at my obgyn years ago and the same thing happened). This is very rare so I am sure you will be fine. I just wish I knew before hand that this could happen, that's why I'm sharing my story with you. Good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine!

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
February 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The worst part of my HSG was when they inserted the catheter. I had some cramping, but it wasn't that bad. Overall it was an easy procedure and it was over quickly. Don't stress about it.

Good luck.
February 25th, 2010, 06:16 PM
LadyRogue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had one done today. It only bothered me when they injected the dye. I did cramp pretty bad, but it wasn't unbearable and was over in about a minute. I've had some cramping off and on today, but nothing that some ibuprofen didn't fix. It's relatively fast too. They said that each woman is different, but for the most part, it's not that bad. VGL!
February 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have pretty similar stories about my HSG as the other ladies. Just remember to take some advil or something before hand and bring a pad to wear afterward. When is your HSG scheduled for?

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 25th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Veteran
Thanks Ladies....you've made me feel alittle better about the test. I'm still nervous...I hate knowing what is going to happen & having time to sit & think about it, but at least it's only a few days. I'm excited to know if anything is wrong though, so that we can get this baby-making show on the road!!

I know what is going to happen though.....tomorrow I start clomid til tueday, wednesday I have the test & start the estrogen for 5 days, so things will fly by cause i'll have things to keep me occupied & by the time I ovulate & start the TTW it is going to take FOREVER for those two weeks to be over. Hopefully by taking the clomid days 3-7 & the estrogen we can get me ovulating alittle earlier....the doctor said that maybe I'm ovulating too late in the cycle & am missing a good cervical lining for implantation.

Kari~my test is scheduled for Wednesday.

Good luck to everyone this month...I hope & pray that we all get a miracle soon!!
~K

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search