IVF lab splitting Embryo's on purpose?!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ran across this today

What Are Your Thoughts On Intentional Embryo Splitting? - SIRM - Discussion Board

This seems a little sci fi to me. From what I can understand they will take a CGH tested embryo, split it in 2 which gives you identical twins. They talk about doing it for women with low ovarian reserve or low embryo counts so that they can have a better chance of conceiving by upping the number of embryos. They even talk about freezing the left over embryos....

I think it would be to weird and strange to do this... what if you only had 2 embryos and then you split them...used one from each and froze the other two...you had twins but each was from the other set....2yrs later you want to do a FET...so you are going to transfer the identical twins of the 2 children you already have

Or

You used the 2 twin embryos and had identical twins, and then 2yrs later had the other set of identical twins....

does anyone else feel like this is crossing a boundry??

would anyone here consider doing this?

February 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Angel_Maker
To each her own really....I mean think about the people out there who are against IVF period. Then there are those who don't agree with egg, sperm, or embryo donation....some don't agree with donating left over embies to science, other's don't agree with destroying the left over embies....it could go either way.

I guess for the women with low ovarian reserve, this would make sense to her. But I don't think i would ever do it.... I'm "scared" of the idea of identical twins.....
February 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Its not the idea of twins that bothers me...if they are going to have the embryos transferred at the same time..great..no problem. BUT what if they dont??? what if they decide to save the other embryo and then a few years later give birth to essentially the same child. Thats what they are saying you could do..vitrify the left over embryos, ensuring you have more for a FET cycle.

how would that effect the children? how do you explain to family and relatives, or even school officials??

It's things like this that make people think IVF is a horrible science project.

Last edited by *CAMM*; February 28th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
February 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
momma S's Avatar Super Mommy
OMG, that is a CRAZY idea to have one twin now and the other later. Wow, never thought about it. Could you imagine being the older twin and then seeing your self at a younger age... kind of creepy in a sense.
February 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma S View Post
Could you imagine being the older twin and then seeing your self at a younger age... kind of creepy in a sense.

creepy indeed. transfer the embryo's together but DO NOT transfer one and then later on the other... IMO its creepy and freaky and down right wrong.

February 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
momma S's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
creepy indeed. transfer the embryo's together but DO NOT transfer one and then later on the other... IMO its creepy and freaky and down right wrong.
Agree 100%, transfer both at once!!! Ah, the books and movies that can be made from that storyline!
February 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
they wouldnt really look like identical twins if they were a few years apart. I mean a 4 year old and a newborn don't look the same so you wouldn't have to tell anyone.

February 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.e.a.t.h.e.r View Post
they wouldnt really look like identical twins if they were a few years apart. I mean a 4 year old and a newborn don't look the same so you wouldn't have to tell anyone.
except they would be identical..and a 20yr old guy doesnt look any different than a 24 yr old. someone would notice..

this whole concept to me feels so wrong...its almost like cloning the same child over and over. I think it would be ok as long as you transfer the same embryo's at the same time and they could grow up as twins..but to freeze one and then get pregnant with the same child later one..that doesnt seem right to me..not at all.

February 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess the way I see it is if they have different personalities/hair styles you wouldn't really notice. The average person is just going to think "wow those brothers look A LOT alike" they aren't going to think they are identical twins 4 years apart.

I don't know it doesn't bother me if other people do it.

February 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The things that science has brought us. This isn't something that I could personally do, but I wouldn't begrudge another woman for having her children this way.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

February 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM
adamsgirl
At my IVF we only got 5 sperm from DH and from that only 2 embryo's. So for me, having this as an option could have given us 4 instead of 2 and we could have possibly had frosties for another shot.

As far as the kids being identical and born years apart, people still think my youngest sister and I (6 years apart) are twins. So siblings can look extremely similar anyways and I don't think people would say anything except they look a lot alike.

This is definitely something that if it were available to me I would do!
February 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
To me more of the issue is the DNA factor. I mean think about it.. Twin A is born 4 years before Twin B. Twin B does something illegal and they can prove it with DNA... Yet twin A is the one punished because they are years apart and they both have the same DNA and the cops only test one of the two.

made by BAM

February 28th, 2010, 08:55 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My multiples experience went really badly, so I have trouble with just the idea of intentionally trying to have twins.

So I REALLY can't wrap my brain around having twins years apart!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

February 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain's Mommy View Post
To me more of the issue is the DNA factor. I mean think about it.. Twin A is born 4 years before Twin B. Twin B does something illegal and they can prove it with DNA... Yet twin A is the one punished because they are years apart and they both have the same DNA and the cops only test one of the two.
I never thought of that angle...but it could happen!!

the one thought I keep having is that its more like cloning the same embryo instead of identical twins maybe thats why i feel so wary of this process???

I understand why it would be very appealing for women to make more embryos...I myself have never had many embryos to work with come transfer day...the highest number I have ever had was 4 on day 3. I certainly understand why this process would appeal to many couples. i dont begrudge anyone who does it.!!!!

In the back of my mind I wonder how i would feel knowing i've already looked at my second baby..just years before...where would the excitement be..i would already know what my child would look like at birth, at age 1, at age 10 ect ect. what would the odds be that the twin of my first child would be different at all...they are essentially the same person just born in different years.

just so much to consider!!!! also, should you tell the siblings they are in fact twins who were created to be twins??? how would that conversation even start?!

I think the whole process is mind boggling really, so much to consider and take in.

March 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain's Mommy View Post
but why do they have to be years apart for that to be an issue?

March 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have identical twins and although they look so much alike, there are differences and if they are together in the same room, you can tell who is who.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
March 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
angel3y35's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can understand why someone would want to do this but personally I don't think I could. It would just be too odd for me.

Thanks to :shortcake: for my siggy

Our adoption miracle born 12/31/13

06/2004 - Lap for endo and cysts
08/2006 - Lap for endo and cysts
02/2010 - Lap for endo, cysts, and hydrosalpinx repair
02/2011 - Lap for endo, cysts, and RSO
12/2011 - TAH and LSO
5/2012 - Lap for adhesions
4/2013 - Lap for adhesions
Stage IV endometriosis, sever adenomyosis, PCOS, IC
March 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Identical twins have the same genotype (DNA), but they have different phenotypes, meaning that the same DNA is expressed in different ways. So they look a little different, have different fingerprints, etc. These differences are only going to be exaggerated with an age gap, so the issue of "identical-ness" (from a legal perspective) is actually diminished in the case of egg splitting and delayed twin birth.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search