First RE appt....Xposted

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so we had out first RE appt at the Jones Institute today. Basically we went in and he talked to us about what was going on and he explained exactly what was happening with me (I do in fact have PCOS) and he talked about what DH's analysis meant. He was really thorough and drew graphs about everything. I felt like he really was concerned about what we were going through. He explained that he could fix my irregular cycles with no problem and he didnt think I was actually ovulating based on their length. He said that my age was a really good factor because it kinda outweighs DH being older. He said if I was closer to 30 then we would probably have to start with IUI and if I was over 35 then we should start with IVF.

So he did an exam on DH and said everything looked good and he didn't think it was anything physical and they did bloodwork to test his testosterone and some other hormones (DH's dad used to have to get testosterone shots so we were concerned about low levels of that). I had an ultrasound to check my uterus and ovaries (really neat since I've never had one before!) and everything looked good. He said I had a good lining? that looked like I was about to ovulate and then he checked my ovaries (lots of cysts/follices) and said there was one follicle that was a nice size and I "should" ovulate within 5-7 days. Whoo hoo

We asked what our chances were of conceiving naturally and he said it was possible but it could take a lot longer. He told us he had a couple who had a sperm count of half a million (normal is 20-200 million) and they got pregnant naturally but it took 10 years! He said he recommended trying naturally with Clomid for 3 cycles and if we didn't get pregnant then he wanted to move to IUI for 3 cycles. He thinks we will be pregnant within this time frame though and if not, then we have to discuss IVF.

So our next step is to try this time (if I ovulate on my own) and then I have to get an HSG (dye put into my fallopian tubes to make sure they are not blocked) next cycle and then start Clomid All in all it made us feel a lot better about the situation and gave us back the hope that we CAN have a baby. My OB doctor made it sound way worse then it is right now so we were really worried. Whew what a weight off my shoulders for now! The only downside is the cost...yikes! My insurance has NO infertility coverage so it's all out of pocket!! Today's consult alone was $190 Oh well, it will be worth it!!!

March 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a wonderful appointment, Sarah!!! That's great that he feels you will get pregnant within a few months with his help!! A great doctor is such a relief and gives a new sense of hope!! I wish you lots of luck with Clomid (although if you catch that eggie he saw in there, you may not need it!!), and I can't wait to follow your progress!!

And I totally hear you on the out of pocket expenses! It's insane!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

March 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you have a GREAT doc. I look forward to seeing your BFP soon!!!

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
March 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks ladies! I will keep you updated with our progress

March 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you are on the right track! Hope we are seeing a BFP from you soon!

(Also, $190 is really reasonable for an RE consult. Mine was $400 for our first meeting... hope everything else at your RE's office is just as reasonable!)

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 4th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Whew Kari that's expensive! I am afraid to see the bill for the ultrasound and HSG

March 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
GOOD LUCK! Sounds like a great appt!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
March 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran
Sounds like your doctor really took the time to listen to you guys, and address your concerns. Hope Clomid is the answer for you, and we get to celebrate your BFP soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search